Spyder Garage

Default Probably an old question... is it possible to fit an RT in a 6x8 trailer?

So is it possible for a 2015 RT to fit in a 6x8 Tractor Supply trailer and cutting the center beam out of the front of the trailer for the funk? So a 6x10 is an additional $500 bucks and we are trying to keep costs low since the trailer would only be used for moving and not much else?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...tility-trailer

Thanks for any input you guys.

ARSquatch
    Last edited by arsquatch; 02-08-2021 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Dimensionally it should work. But I am not sure what cutting the front rail would do for the structural integrity of the trailer. The railing system adds strength to the entire trailer and cutting that out might not be a good idea. But to have someone weld back in a V shaped rail at the front might be an option. But then you are probably looking at close to the price of getting the 10' trailer.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I'm currently trying to figure my best options on modding my TSC 5x8 trailer. I 100% understand your dilemma. I already have a 5x8 TSC trailer and I'm a fabricator/welder. My 2016 RTS measures 61.5" Outside of both tires. (My 5' Trailer is 60" inside the rails.) Looking at the 6'x8', in my opinion you should be able to cut a section out for trunk and bags. I have a 25' motorhome and I can tow 5,000 lbs but I just don't want to drag a heavy (tow) vehicle and the Spyder will work and just like you I do not want to spend $2,000 for a trailer!

I'll see if I can't get started on my trailer and post a picture asap.

Spyder Garage

Hi I was thinking of doing the same thing. Went to Tractor Supply and took measurements and laid them out on graph paper and found that my F3s would fit. I too am concerned with structural stability. Still researching.
    2021 900 Ace , Black & Gold

Spyder Garage

Default Photo

This image is a few years old from a Facebook group I am in, that I found while doing a little research. The concept seems sound, I don't think removing that bar effects to much of the structural integrity. It does not seem like it would cause too much to it, but I can also see the benefit of adding the welding out across the tongue, but not sure it would be worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

The axle is pretty far back on that trailer, I wonder what the tongue weight ends up being. Tonque weight is great for stability towing, unit you do it with a smaller SUV.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ARSquatch, I would do just as it's shown in your photo attachment. The front railing is welded in 3 locations. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Because of the way these trailers are made, I would certainly check the weld locations to make sure they've been properly welded. Beyond that, I believe you've made a darn good choice for the $$$$. The only other way to go is to buy the kit trailer and assemble it yourself. The kit is just about half that price + shipping. Some kits are free shipping.

Spyder Garage

2dogs,

There are kits for trailers? Really? That might be something fun to do with the son in laws or maybe just a huge pain in the rear end. I didn’t know they sold kits, do you happen to have a Link?

Thanks

D Smith
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arsquatch View Post
    2dogs,

There are kits for trailers? Really? That might be something fun to do with the son in laws or maybe just a huge pain in the rear end. I didn’t know they sold kits, do you happen to have a Link?

Thanks

D Smith
    Here's where I ended up on a search regarding the subject of trailer kits appropriate for the size of a spyder. My intention was to make a tilting frame out of medium weight 2x2 square tube and wood 2x6's for the bed. Or just use formed channel the width of the tires.

https://thetrailerpartsoutlet.com/pr...xoCl_sQAvD_BwE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

lets see 30000 dollar machine 1000 dollar trailer and you want to cut out some of the structure

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Looks like an 8 Ft trailer will work as you stated https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...Hauling-Spyder to see some examples of 8 ft. trailers. I have a TS 5.5 X 10 ( 66 inch wide by 120 long ) trailer that I'm setting up now; TS puts them on sale from time to time for $1200.00 they have the better 15 inch wheels and tires. I'm putting 3 5ft e track rails down on the floor and have added a gate assist Gorilla lift. But the 8 Ft. can work too if you cut the center out.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    lets see 30000 dollar machine 1000 dollar trailer and you want to cut out some of the structure
    This ^ A trailer like that is for light duty hauling. Short runs to the big box store or loads of mulch. As was also mentioned, the axle is fairly far back and you don't have any leeway to position the bike to adjust for tongue weight. And you want to cut out part of the structure that makes it stiff.

Spend the money to get something rated for about 3500 lbs so you have a margin of error when that thing goes over a bump and all the weight comes down on the axle.
    2019 BMW C650GT, 2010 Spyder RT-S, 2009 BMW R1200RT,(sold) 2009 Honda Silverwing (Sold), 2009 Kawasaki 500 Vulcan (Sold)

\
    2010 RT SE5 , Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So is it possible for a 2015 RT to fit in a 6x8 Tractor Supply trailer and cutting the center beam out of the front of the trailer for the funk? So a 6x10 is an additional $500 bucks and we are trying to keep costs low since the trailer would only be used for moving and not much else?

ARSquatch
    If you're going to haul the Spyder one time for moving, consider doing what I did. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...o-carry-Spyder. Gets the job done at a very reasonable cost. I posted the thread after I fixed the trailer to haul my 2013 Spyder to the local dealer but I also used it later to bring home my new-to-me 2014 Spyder from Bremerton, WA to Parma, ID.

The alternative would be to buy the 6 x 10 trailer, use it once, and then sell it after you get to your destination. From what I've read and heard you really won't lose much doing that.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Spyder TSC trailer for Spyder

I bought the TSC trailer you refer to for my 2014 RT. I ended up cutting the upper front bar so that the Spyder nose fit through the gap. I drive up the ramp with the nose tucking into the gap and front tires touching the bar. Strap it down, secure the ramp and you're off and running!

SpyderStephen

ARSquatch

Spyder Garage

I got the 6x8 for my Ryker and modified the tail latch to give it a few more inches. As long as you have the bike strapped in properly it will do just fine.

Spyder Garage

All of this money spent on an expensive toy and then buying a REALLY cheap trailer makes no sense to me.

Modifying a trailer to change it's structure, by an amateur, is a Law suit just waiting to happen in this litigious society. IF something happened!

Always buy something BETTER than you actually need instead of settling for less.

I prefer 4 wheel trailers. If one tire blows out or if a bearing seizes and cuts the end of the axle plate off, there is the safety of another tire on the ground. (This happened to me once)

Craigslist has MANY new and used trailers for sale. Of course 'Chinafreight' does too.

And always carry a spare tire and speed wrench and a floor jack, just in case, because it will happen that you need it.

Sam
    2021 Spyder RT ES6 PETROL metallic. Carthage, Missouri 64836