Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RSS parking brake won't release

So I'm having trouble getting the parking brake to release on my 2014 RSS. I press on the pedal and it engages but when I push again to release it won't. After several attempts it does but it's really annoying. Especially since its my wife's bike. She can't get it to release at all. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Back near the rear caliper there is a bracket with a 12mm nut on either side. Loosen them and slip the cable out of the bracket. At least that wil get her moving. It could be the parking brake motor has gone south.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 rss and I'm having the same problem it's gotten so frustrating I don't even use it any more I just park and turn in the curb. Releasing the cable would be a temp fix but what would be a fix to have it working the way its suppose to. Tha k you

Spyder Garage

Is the motor rotating the way it should when you it the button? If so when you release the brake can you pull the cable back by hand? If so, number one, lube the cable and work it back and forth, I would release it from both ends and lube it and work it by hand! Put it back together and get all the slack out of the cable by adjusting the slack adjustment nut! Are the pads in good shape lot's of pad? If not put a new set in and make sure the caliper is clean and in good working order! If the motors not rotating when you push it button it's on the other end, motor, switch, power!! Fixed my friends brakes by just lubing the cable!!! But he did take out a set of pads and rotor before he got to me!! Good luck, let us know what you found!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RSS Brake release

My 2014 is RSS and the parking brake is not motorized. If I keep pressing and releasing it does finally release. It's just a pain to use.

Spyder Garage

Maybe the cable needs to be cleaned and lubed! Is it the peddle assembly thats sticking, or the cable? Maybe a good shot of marvel mystery oil, or wd40 would get things working.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A View Post
    My 2014 is RSS and the parking brake is not motorized. If I keep pressing and releasing it does finally release. It's just a pain to use.
    Sounds like time for some brake pad inspection /cleaning: might just be crud & brake dust

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A View Post
    Paul,

Most likely your parking brake needs to be adjusted. It should fully engage with just THREE clicks, if it doesn't then adjustments are carried out on the right side of the rear wheel. Would also be a good time to Clean with brake cleaner the ratcheting mechanism and relubrication with white lithium grease. Check the adjustment of your parking brake @ each oil change. Enjoy.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I'm not sure how the thing operates. But if it's anything like a spring operated hose reel then it feels like the dawg isn't releasing when I press down on the pedal. The brake engages after a few clicks as it should. But when I press for release, I can feel the spring pressing back at me but it's like the pedal just catches the next notch instead of releasing.

Spyder Garage

Lubing the cable is a good suggestion, but DO NOT use WD40, it dries gummy and sticky. The machines I repaired have a manually operated slide mechanism and customers would lube with WD40 then complain it got hard to move and would lube with WD40 again. WD40 is a mediocre penetrant, a lousy lubricant, but a good cleaning agent to rid of greasy and oily residue.
    If a park bake is correctly adjusted, the yoke at the back end will slide back and forth somewhat easily - not real easy, not hard.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

My rs is doing the same thing. I press the pedal and it comes on fine. Start up the bike to leave and I have to try pressing several times b4 it releasing. I stopped using it, but it's annoying with the 20 loud peeps from the parking break not on alarm when I turn the bike off. I'm going to check and adjust it this weekend to see if it helps. Have to adjust the tension on the drive belt at same time. Got a new drive belt 4000km ago that is now a little loose. I'll let you know if adjusting my parking break helps solve the realising problem.

Spyder Garage

Dude its I can confirm that it's a really easy fix. You just need 16mm and a 12mm spanner and 2 minutes. I watched a video on you tube on how to adjust the parking break. Watch the video first, then loosen the 12mm nut. Then remove the 16mm nut and take off the parking brake lever. Remove the dust cap and spray in some lube. With your fingers tighten the brake until it stops, then loosen just a couple of mm's. Replace dust cover and nuts. Jobs done. My brake is easy to apply and release now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Canamandy View Post
    Dude its I can confirm that it's a really easy fix. You just need 16mm and a 12mm spanner and 2 minutes. I watched a video on you tube on how to adjust the parking break. Watch the video first, then loosen the 12mm nut. Then remove the 16mm nut and take off the parking brake lever. Remove the dust cap and spray in some lube. With your fingers tighten the brake until it stops, then loosen just a couple of mm's. Replace dust cover and nuts. Jobs done. My brake is easy to apply and release now.
    A link to that video would be a great help. TIA

Spyder Garage

Sorry here you go https://youtu.be/qnIgEZ1pgRw
    Like I said it's dead easy, takes two minutes and mine is fine now.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Canamandy View Post
    Sorry here you go https://youtu.be/qnIgEZ1pgRw
    Like I said it's dead easy, takes two minutes and mine is fine now.
    Does this technique apply to the 1330s too?

Spyder Garage

I belive this applies to the spyders with mechanical parking breaks. Many of the 1330's maybe have electrical parking breaks. There is a whole other video on you tube for the electrical parking break that I have not watched.

Spyder Garage

Well, sometimes I get lucky! I had the left side panel off for some service. I noticed the brake ratchet had a pivot pin. Squirted it with some silicone lubricant and WaLa! problem solved. I would post a picture but don't know how.
    Attached Images Attached Images