Spyder Garage

Default Questions Regarding Elka Shocks

Hello,

I am going to order an Elka Stage 2 rear shock for my 2018 F3. My wife and I ride together quite frequently, and are sick of bottoming out on occasion with the stock shock. My questions are should I put in driver and rider weights as naked or clothed? I believe the Elkin site says “without gear”, but I wasn’t sure if that was just helmet, riding jacket, etc. I may be over thinking it, and splitting hairs. My next question is the shock is the same price from Lamonster and Elka direct, is there any advantage of ordering from one or the other? If all things being equal, lead time, etc, it makes sense to order it from Lamonster and support a small business. I know the lead time is fairly long right now, and I want to get it ordered in time for spring. Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards,

Scotto

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

lol over thinking it for sure, just your weight same as you get in the doctors office. Lamont is the same but better as direct on the shocks no difference.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 02-06-2021 at 04:46 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I recently talked to John from Elka. He said Lamonster is a full service Elka dealer, and specifically recommends them for shocks for a Spyder. Jacob has been trained to set up the shocks to your specs. Lead time thru Elka is 8-10 weeks. Lamonster may have them in stock. If not, 8-10 weeks.
    A.) Weight in street clothes.
    B.) Same price thru either Elka direct or Lamonster.

All that said, call Marcus at M2 shocks. With a 20% forum discount, the rear shock would be only a few $$ more. While Lamonster/Elka have been very helpful, shocks are not created equally.
    https://www.m2shocks.com/canam-spyder-products

Welcome to the forum ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am definitely not happy with stage 2 rear on my RS.
    I gave them my weight and whatever else they asked but when I installed it it was bottoming out bad and took about 12 turns to get 1 “ compression with me on it. It was still bottoming out here and there, 2 more turns and now it’s bit firm with 3/4” compression but it’s not bottoming.
    And not a fan of the flathead screw type rebound adjuster instead of knob that clicks. Overall, thumbs down including tech support.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    Hello,

I am going to order an Elka Stage 2 rear shock for my 2018 F3. My wife and I ride together quite frequently, and are sick of bottoming out on occasion with the stock shock. My questions are should I put in driver and rider weights as naked or clothed? I believe the Elkin site says “without gear”, but I wasn’t sure if that was just helmet, riding jacket, etc. I may be over thinking it, and splitting hairs. My next question is the shock is the same price from Lamonster and Elka direct, is there any advantage of ordering from one or the other? If all things being equal, lead time, etc, it makes sense to order it from Lamonster and support a small business. I know the lead time is fairly long right now, and I want to get it ordered in time for spring. Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards,

Scotto
    I’m thinking of doing the same thing for my 2019 F3L. I’ll be heading down to Wing Ding in Springfield in June, thinking that I’ll make an appointment with La Monster. (6-8 weeks)
    Very curious as to your impression of the Shock/Spring once installed.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of the input. I am now curious about the M2 shocks. The normal price would put it off the table, but a 20% discount would only make the rear shock $27.60 more than the Elka. Has anyone else had any experience with either?

Spyder Garage

Elka owner here.Adjust the preload collars to match the weight and ride you want.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Elka owner here.Adjust the preload collars to match the weight and ride you want.
    Don’t they come setup from Elka with your specifications?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotto View Post
    Don’t they come setup from Elka with your specifications?
    Dealer I bought mine off said they were all the same internally, they just set the preload and rebound to match the numbers you supply.Makes sense otherwise there would be a million combinations and a custom build for each and every one.Don't think you would get that sort of deal for the price.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

M2 worked for me very well. No more bottoming out and I dont use the air compressor anymore.. Not needed with the M2 shocks..Well at least not for me..And I do ride two up at times..

You will have to give your riding weights and how aggressive your like to ride.

Spyder Garage

I have an Elka on my 2020 F3-S SS. You should plan on specifying extra weight allowances for your gear and luggage etc. I have the hydraulic preload adjuster on mine and change it as needed when my wife is onboard. I got mine through a more local to me vendor with a lot of experience with Elka shocks and he made the suggestions. I'm very happy, never bottom out. I don't know where this information is coming from "leaking" Elka shocks. They are extremely popular on snowmobiles and ATV's which have much higher service duty and they have an excellent track record.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

The "leaking issues" is from a bad batch of vendor supplied seals, from a few years back. I haven't heard of any new leaking issues. YMMV

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I ordered Ekla fronts Mid-January and received them in less than 2 weeks from Lamonster.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White