Spyder Garage

Default What model & upgrades do I need?

I've been a Goldwing rider for many years on both 1500's and 1800's.
    Both bikes needed suspension upgrades to make them really comfortable and handlexwell. What type of upgrades will the Spyder need and what are the best touring upgrades you folks can recommend? What year model has the dynamic power steering? I'll be looking at RT's and pulling a trailer. Thanks in advance.

Spyder Garage

Consider buying 2014 on up as they have the better 1330 triple engine. I suggest riding it for at least 1K miles to familiarize your body and brain with the different experience 3 wheels gives compared to 2. RTs especially benefit from a Bajaron sway bar. If you buy used and the sway bar links are metal, not plastic, then the bike already has one. If it has Kenda tires, putting car tires on with improve the handling dramatically. Coming from Goldwings, I bet you already know about touring upgrades. Read the manual and keep an eye on this forum and you will learn a lot about Spyders.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

360 LED head lights are a great visibility mod. I have a list of mods in my signature. Chris
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

The 2020+ RT has a better suspension compared older years but they still benefit greatly with the Bajaron sway bar & dark side rubber. Depending on your weight and riding style, you may also want to upgrade the shocks to include pre-load adj. at the very least.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I agree with the recommendation of Ron's sway bar and add, at minimum, a Rolo laser alignment check. If the RT is within spec, which many aren't off the production line, there should be no charge and an alignment by a well trained experienced tech shouldn't cost more than a Benjamin and a half. Regarding other things, including the sneakers because they will go south soon enough, ride the Spyder for several thousand miles before deciding what your style may require. When it comes time for your first brake pad replacement get fully sintered EBC pads from Bajaron and if you want to cap it off add EBC rotors for fantastic stopping power.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your reply

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Ironwing -- the first question is new or used. If used, then definitely 2014 or later for the 1330 I3 and other improvements. With the SE6 paddle-shift transmission to make the 2-to-3 wheel transition easier because having no levers is easier mentally than one lever. You will want an RT-S or better; you won't be happy with the base RT.

Unless the seller has a complete service history, establish a maintenance baseline. Minimum is oil change including HCM filter. Install the GoldPlug MP-01 and MP-18 hex-head drain plugs because...read this forum. Consider new fuel filter and coolant change while the RH bodywork is off for oil/HCM change. If your tires are more than five years old then replace them. Ditto for the battery -- the electronics-heavy Spyder needs a solid battery for fuss-free operation. An alignment and belt tension adjustment are recommended. Read the owner's manual several times -- there are subtleties. And buy a service manual CD-ROM.

I'm not a suspension expert but I'm inclined to upgrade the shock asorbers before the sway bar for comfort and adjustability reasons. You want the suspension to soak-up those road imperfections before they reach your hands and fanny since a 3-wheeler doesn't let you avoid them like a 2-wheeler. Your GoldWing spoiled you -- you want your Spyder to do the same.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    I'm not a suspension expert but I'm inclined to upgrade the shock asorbers before the sway bar for comfort and adjustability reasons.
    I disagree. Adding a BajaRon sway bar is relatively inexpensive ($288) and pretty easy to install by yourself (as long as you can get the front up about 24"). High performance aftermarket shocks will probably cost close to a grand and will probably result in a rougher ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

MONK -- I was responding to Ironwing's "Both bikes needed suspension upgrades to make them really comfortable and handlexwell." The BajaRon swaybar will improve handling but not comfort, at least in a GoldWing context. Aftermarket shock asorbers with rider-tuned springs and adjustable damping will provide both, again in a GoldWing context.

Continuing my excursion out to the end of this limb, I also recommend for Ironwing (not everyone) higher-profile front tires. For instance, the well-regarded Vredestein Quatrac 5 comes in 165/60R15 and 170/55R15 -- I would choose the 60-sidewall for better comfort while the Vredestein itself would provide better performance.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike