Spyder Garage

Default Broken hood retainer clip

The upper right retaining bit of plastic on the hood of my 2019 Ryker Rally is broken off. Anyone know of a sturdy and attractive fix? I do not have the piece that broke off.

Thanks,

Bob Swarts

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ravensrest View Post
    The upper right retaining bit of plastic on the hood of my 2019 Ryker Rally is broken off. Anyone know of a sturdy and attractive fix? I do not have the piece that broke off.

Thanks,

Bob Swarts
    A pic would go a long way to help US help You ...... I have fabbed up some really nice fixes for body issues on various veh's Spyders included ....Mike

Spyder Garage

As far as I know all Ryker hoods use these flimsy plastic clips to hold the aft end down. But here is a picture of the broken one and the good one. I hope these pictures turn out OK. I have never posted images here before, and I can't find any tutorials on doing so.
    Thanks,
    BS
    100_1354.jpg Broken
    100_1356.jpg Good

Spyder Garage

As far as I know all Ryker hoods use these flimsy plastic clips to hold the aft end down. But here is a picture of the broken one and the good one. I hope these pictures turn out OK. I have never posted images here before, and I can't find any tutorials on doing so.
    Thanks,
    BS
    100_1354.jpg Broken
    100_1356.jpg Good
    Thanks for the pics, .... imho there is enough left to use a small piece of sheet metal that you cut to size and bend it to look like the other one. ... Home Depot and Lowe's have small 12 x 12 sheets of various thicknesses in either steel or aluminum that you could JB Weld the new piece on ..... I would also make a similar piece to cover the non-broken one so IT doesn't break ..... I had the top corner on my mirror ( RT 2014 ) break ... lost the piece so had to fab a complete corner ... made a small piece of sheet metal and then layered Bondo to that ... smoothed it to shape and painted it black ...... looks almost never broken .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Mike. I thought about 3D printing a piece, and then bonding it in place, but a nicely shaped piece of aluminum would work much better -- and I have some in my junk box!
    BS

Spyder Garage

Whatever you use, make sure it has that ridge on the inside, thats the part that holds it in place.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Ravensrest, what are the knobs near the attachment points on your hood? I have a 2019 Rally and do not have the knobs or the little piece with the red insert that is screwed on.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Tslepebull, the knobs are the screws that hold the red trim piece to the top of the hood. There are five (I think) of them. The red you see in my picture is that trim piece showing thru a hole in the hood.

For those who are interested in the final solution to the broken hood piece, this is what I did. First, I made a rough pattern of the broken-off piece using the intact clip on the opposite side of the hood. Then I used Tinkercad (https://www.tinkercad.com/) to construct the *.stl file for the missing piece. Next, I used Repetier-Host with my Anet A8 3D printer to manufacture a close replica of the broken piece out of PLA. Because the break was not smooth, I used gel superglue (Loctite) to secure the new piece in place, and finally used loaded epoxy (JB Weld, in this case) to firmly secure the bottom and edges of the new piece. A small amount of filing/sanding resulted in a pretty nice fit, and all four corners of the hood are now held down.

Thanks to all of you who replied.

BS

Spyder Garage

Tslepebull, the knobs are the screws that hold the red trim piece to the top of the hood. There are five (I think) of them. The red you see in my picture is that trim piece showing thru a hole in the hood.

For those who are interested in the final solution to the broken hood piece, this is what I did. First, I made a rough pattern of the broken-off piece using the intact clip on the opposite side of the hood. Then I used Tinkercad (https://www.tinkercad.com/) to construct the *.stl file for the missing piece. Next, I used Repetier-Host with my Anet A8 3D printer to manufacture a close replica of the broken piece out of PLA. Because the break was not smooth, I used gel superglue (Loctite) to secure the new piece in place, and finally used loaded epoxy (JB Weld, in this case) to firmly secure the bottom and edges of the new piece. A small amount of filing/sanding resulted in a pretty nice fit, and all four corners of the hood are now held down.

Thanks to all of you who replied.

BS
    Thank you for the final info and glad to hear that you fixed it ( better than new ) .... on my first to post to you - it was more for the average DIY'er to use common repair items ..... you have access to waaaaaaaay more sophisticated repairs .... and that's great .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Another option - Glue the pieces together with PlastiFix, then wrap with a bit of glass tape and another layer of Plastifix. Usually ends up stronger than stock.

Anybody tried a plastic welder for that sort of thing? I've got an inexpensive heating iron that can work wonders, and there's several types of welding rod for different plastics.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Someone before me ripped all of the tabs off my Ryker hood by yanking up hard from the front. Ended up buying a new black stock hood from cheapcycleparts.com for $33 shipped and arrived in a week. Used a hair dryer to loosen the BRP emblem and mounted it in the new hood. Back to perfect shape now with all tabs intact... and will make sure nobody does that again.

Spyder Garage

Good idea, sKiZo, but you gotta have the broken pieces -- I didn't.
    I have a plastic welder too, but I didn't want to use it for fear of getting the hood itself too hot and deforming it.
    BS