Spyder Garage

Default Great hitch solution to minimize the bounce

I took this photo of a hitch that is fitted on a Lees-ure Lite trailer and has been tested for thousands of miles. The the trailer is pulled by a Spyder and it really makes a difference in the bounce created by the hitch being mounted through the axel. I pulled an Aspen with my RTL for over 50,000 miles and had to reinforce the Tongue twice. My son and I are going to make one for my new to me Lees-ure Lite that I just purchased for our trip to Fairbanks via the Alcan that I figure will be full of potholes. We may have to wait till next year for the trip as I have a feeling the borders may not open till late this year.
    IMG_1962 (4).jpg Ipad and Coast to Coast 133.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    I took this photo of a hitch that is fitted on a Lees-ure Lite trailer and has been tested for thousands of miles. The the trailer is pulled by a Spyder and it really makes a difference in the bounce created by the hitch being mounted through the axel. I pulled an Aspen with my RTL for over 50,000 miles and had to reinforce the Tongue twice. My son and I are going to make one for my new to me Lees-ure Lite that I just purchased for our trip to Fairbanks via the Alcan that I figure will be full of potholes. We may have to wait till next year for the trip as I have a feeling the borders may not open till late this year.
    IMG_1962 (4).jpg Ipad and Coast to Coast 133.jpg
    .... I love a fellow " DIY'er " .............. Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Big and bulky looking but looks like it should really help soften the bounce and shock imposed on the trailer tongue. I can attest to the need for reducing the bounce. I unknowingly pulled my trailer about 300 miles with only about 3/4" wide piece of 0.60" thick metal pulling it after the tongue cracked almost all the way around.

I wonder how well a rubber torsion bushing would work. You know, like what are used on trailer axles.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Here are some torsion units that probably would work. https://www.lovejoy-inc.com/products...ct-technology/. I'm tempted to convert my trailer tongue using one of the RSS units shown beginning on page 50 of this catalog. https://www.lovejoy-inc.com/wp-conte...ll-Catalog.pdf. I think the advantage of a torsion busing would be the trailer tongue would have a pivot point not much larger than the tongue itself.

I'm intrigued. Thanks for the post!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I've owned a few of the top tier trailers and I figure my Tailwind will be my last trailer. One of the reasons I purchased the Tailwind trailer was the suspension spring supported hitch design. To me, it helps significantly to help stabilize the up and down velocity.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TxKrc View Post
    I've owned a few of the top tier trailers and I figure my Tailwind will be my last trailer. One of the reasons I purchased the Tailwind trailer was the suspension spring supported hitch design. To me, it helps significantly to help stabilize the up and down velocity.
    Sadly, it looks like that really will be your last Tailwind trailer, not because you don't want to buy another one but because the developer of it, Tom Finch, died Dec 24, 2019. He was 83. All traces of his websites, tailwind.com and texelent.com, have disappeared from the web. His obit is here: http://porterloring.tributes.com/obi...inch-107950782

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

This is intriguing. Any thoughts on how much actual travel vertically is a reasonable amount to be effective?

Looking at the ones shown, seems to be 2 inches or more.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's not the travel distance so much as it is the speed and force with which it moves.

Spyder Garage

When the weather warms up here I think I might take my trailer out for a spin with a GoPro videoing the tongue. I'd like to get a better idea of just how much the hitch and trailer each bounce. I'm guessing it's only about an inch, but it is a hard and fast bounce, more like a vibration.

2014 Copper RTS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    When the weather warms up here I think I might take my trailer out for a spin with a GoPro videoing the tongue. I'd like to get a better idea of just how much the hitch and trailer each bounce. I'm guessing it's only about an inch, but it is a hard and fast bounce, more like a vibration.
    Did you ever do this?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Did you ever do this?
    Nope. Completely forgot about it! Will have to consider doing it this fall. Should be interesting!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Wow that is a cool idea, thanks for sharing. I think I will have to add that to the dog trailer I just built. This would help smoothen out the ride for Bella.
    Question is what kind of shock do you get for it?