Thread: Trunk Gas strut

Spyder Garage

Default Trunk Gas strut

Where is the best place to get a new strut for my 2014 RTL Trunk. It is starting to fail and this is something I'm sure I can replace myself.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    Where is the best place to get a new strut for my 2014 RTL Trunk. It is starting to fail and this is something I'm sure I can replace myself.
    Online.stores... you have to know size, length... etc. Research.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just for info you may wish to add a second strut to the right side because simply a replacement might fail sooner or later just like the OEM strut. Search this site for trunk strut failure and phrases similar, there's a ton of posts on the subject. Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

rock auto

Sachs SG359011

Disreguard thats for the seat..

Spyder Garage

Use this link,from another spyderlovers http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...for-Gas-Struts
    Or this one from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...S6F7RLJ5&psc=1
    Hope this helps Ryde safe and enjoy
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I recently discovered the same thing ..... I made a permanent ( but removable ) solid strut from 3/16 metal rod (7 1/2 in. and bent slightly to fit ) ..... I places it alongside the the right side lip of the Trunk .... I drilled a hole just below where the curve starts and lays alongside the lip when down ( out of the way of the trunk LID .... put a few threads on it and then bent it 90 degree's .... way less than a new strut or struts ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Just for info you may wish to add a second strut to the right side because simply a replacement might fail sooner or later just like the OEM strut.
    The strut on my wife's Spyder seems to be a bit weak, but I don't know if it really IS a bit weak or is actually full-strength and simply inadequate. My plan is to get a new one to replace it. If the new one feels like the existing one, I'll get the hardware and add the stock one as a second.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Read through these and also the threads that are linked to in them. You'll learn more than you ever wanted to know about trunk struts! Lots of part numbers and suggestions for improving lifting the trunk lid.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ht=trunk+strut

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I used the one from Amazon in post #5 above. Stronger than OEM. Cheaper too. Plug and play. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

The Strut is a Gas Shock. As Temperatures Drops in the Winter So Does The Amount Of Gas Pressure In The Shock so you'll notice the strut is just not as Strong as it was. (Yes, when the Temp Warms Up, the Pressure will Increase.) The strut/gas shock has numbers on the side, search them and you should be able to come up with an OAL and Force/Pressure. IMO Amazon works.

Spyder Garage

I read them all then my head exploded!
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I read them all then my head exploded!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)