full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default Help with 2012 RT mirror removal?

Trying to help a friend with removing the mirrors on his new (to him) 2012 RT. It is his desire to put mirror locks on if they will work but we can't find any videos on either youtube or here on a model this old. We had hoped it was closer to my '13 ST but not even close. Any help on what the procedure would be would be appreciated. Given the fact that they are all plastic we are hesitant to start banging and jerking.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Assuming they're the same as the 2013-2019 RTs (and I see no reason why they wouldn't be), you need to tap pretty hard on the bottom of the mirrors. That should release the (2) lower clips. After those are released, you can pull up on the remaining clip to release the mirror. You can't bolt these on like the 2020+ RTs but I'm sure Lamont sells Magic Mirrors for that generation RT.

This shows how to remove them.

Spyder Garage

There are several You Tube videos on early RT mirror removal. Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbiTM5Fc4Pc go to 1:10

or this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvGbgxB14PQ&t=19s

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

The magic mirror magnet system is the BEST.
    Last edited by Lew L; 02-03-2021 at 04:36 PM. Reason: speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Lift firmly, and it will release. If it is corroded badly, it might act like it is welded. More firmly. If it breaks the clip, they are about 15 bucks. If you are installing magic mirrors, you are discarding them anyway! Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Wow. I may have sent my buddy down a blind alley. My '13 ST has 3 covers that come off first before releasing the mirror assembly. Then you can take the 2 parts off so Lamonster's mirror locks can be installed. Can the mirror assembly on these older RTs be disassembled so the pins can be installed? Has anyone tried the mirror locks on an earlier RT?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mirror locks do not work with 2019 and prior RTs. You need Magic Mirrors or mirror magnets.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Ouch!!! Lets see if Lamonster will let him swap for the magnets. That mirror vibration is driving him a little over the edge. Other than that he got a good deal on a very lightly used '12 RT.
    Thanks for the guidance.