Spyder Garage

Default RT Ltd seat gas strut - what pressure?

Hi there.can anyone tell what newton metres pressure the seat gas strut is for a 2014 rt ltd .
    I want to replace or regass mine but theres no pressure on the strut.
    Thank you for any help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    Hi there.can anyone tell what newton metres pressure the seat gas strut is for a 2014 rt ltd .
    I want to replace or regass mine but theres no pressure on the strut.
    Thank you for any help.
    Somewhere here, there is a good tread about that. Use the search function and maybe you can find it.

Here is one with part numbers.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...seat+gas+strut

If you put "seat gas strut" you will see many threads.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Newton Meters is a torque specification; if you're looking for pressure of a compressed seat strut you should be looking for BAR or psi. The seat strut is a fairly common size that you can purchase in an auto parts store and at less cost than from BRP. There are some, correct length, that have a bit more pressure in them than the OEM one so when you turn the key to unlock the seat it actually pops right up to fully extended length. IMO, it's not worth the effort to attempt to recharge the strut unless you have all the tools to braze a fitting onto it, the nitrogen and a pressure measuring system. Remember, you don't want to put too much pressure in it because that might cause the latch mechanism to bind. It's an expendable part - and I'm frugal - wife calls me world class cheap!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My understanding, the stock seat strut is about 20 lbs. Many upgrade to a 30 lb so that the seat stays open better, even with a little weight on it. Some have gone as high as 40 lbs

I installed a gel pad in my comfort seat, and the stock strut would not hold it open. With a 30 lb strut, if I barely touched the seat after turning the key it would open up and stay up. Took a little push to close seat, not hard but you could tell you were compressing the strut. I felt the 30 ib was a sweet spot. I used the 17.20'' STRONG ARM 4423 LIFT SUPPORT WITH BALL SOCKET
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...6&d=1565870061 This may help. Seat pops up by itself at 40 lbs, had it this way for long time.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-03-2021 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Fixed URL
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

thank you very much for all the help.i should have added that i have the brp back rest fitted and i have two air hawk gel pads on seat also so a bit more weight to lift up and hold.i run a workshop here in aus so have access to a mobile regas service but the struts new are often the same price as regas
    i will go for 30 to 40 lbs i think with the extra weight on the seat then.
    thanks again

Spyder Garage

This one works as a direct replacement. it's the 40 PSI version

2021-02-03_16-05-20.jpg
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I have an Utopia backrest and Motorcycledave gel pad. I went with the 30Lb.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Do not use a seat gas spring on our 2014 RTS.

I have modified the rear trunk gas spring and have changed the fluid and recharged the nitrogen in that tiny gas spring.

The trunk requires 1000 psi of internal pressure.

Spyder Garage

The part number is SG359010 it is 40 lbs.
    Just make sure the back of the bolts are tight
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    thank you very much for all the help.i should have added that i have the brp back rest fitted and i have two air hawk gel pads on seat also so a bit more weight to lift up and hold.i run a workshop here in aus so have access to a mobile regas service but the struts new are often the same price as regas
    i will go for 30 to 40 lbs i think with the extra weight on the seat then.
    thanks again
    40 lbs. should work, however consider the fact that the pressure in the strut remains at 40lbs .... can this added pressure OVER-STRESS the Plastic end support ..... some here have reported theirs broke after a few years ...... see pics in an album of mine on how I eliminated the strut for about .25 ...... good luck .... Mike