Spyder Garage

Default Best GPS (in my opinion) for a motorcycle

Here is my setup 2020 RTL, Sena , Samsung S8 and Zumo XT
    After some testing and learning I have found what I think is the best GPS setup. It is on the pricie side $500. Here is what a like about this setup.
    1. Great GPS for navigations with map program to do any maps I want. I have used Basecamp for over 10 years. Also all typical GPS functions like find POI as well a make routing via curvy roads, red light camera intersection, school area…
    2. From Garmin Drive app (via smart phone) I get Live traffic updates, Live Parking information at my final destination; weather forecast, current weather conditions, radar images and weather alerts and smart alerts of text messages
    3. Great phone software
    4. MP3 Player as well as any music app that runs on my phone
    5. Only negative is it does not link with RTL – so I don’t get music through speakers but I just read the S8 Phone can send audio to two devices at once. So that my with the only problem I had.
    This GPS does not play well with the Samsung A series phones. I had to upgrade to S8.
    I have included a couple of pictures of setup – I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of upgrading GPS
    IMG_1152.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pair the phone to the bike using bluetooth. Set the music output in the bike menu to bluetooth. Pair the headset to the bike then pair the headset to the Garmin using the GPS channel as most newer headsets can pair to 2 phones and a GPS. Play music from the phone and it will come thru the bike to headset or speakers. You will also be able to hear directions from the Garmin. The phone needs to be powered either by the front USB with a data blocker or from the trunk USB.

$40-60 for Sygic is a lot cheaper than any standalone Garmin unit. Routes can be created on the phone.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks - I have set that up as one of my test. I like see radar, traffic, and red light camera alerts. The Phone interface on the Garmin is so much easier to use. Thanks for the feedback. I have been doing maps vis Garmin Basecamp for a long time so I have a lot of custom routes. Also found out my phone can send music to BT devices so I just have to sync my phone to RTL to get music on speakers , but mostly listen via sena

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its not any harder using the bike. The joystick makes it easy to advance music and answer the phone as well as work the GPS in the dash. Your choice.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I use the original zumo 590 that came with my 17rtl which I put gpx files on from various sources other than trying to use basecamp.I also use Waze on my phone at the same time so I can listen to music get traffic and police alerts.I really like the way the zumo can easily find gas stations and restaurants and hotels and POI up ahead.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

You would love the Zumo XT - traffic, weather, radar, it even tells you when you are coming up to curvy road, railroad crossing, school, red light camera, parking and more.... plus switch between the MPS and anything thing your listeniung to on your BT phone