Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I guess I don't understand why you bought the Spyder out of state. There are lots of reputable dealers all across the state. You know if you buy from one of them they would have registered it for you. Instead you are dealing with a dealer that apparently does not know the laws out here, or they made a huge (to you) mistake. We have purchased 3 Spyders in California with no issues. Just wondering what motivated you to roll the dice?
    I think he bought out of state for the same reason i did. it was all about the trade. my local dealer did'nt want my trade.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    No, I don't think that is really the case. The responsibility (blame?) I think rests on California, primarily. Remember the discussion about early and late MY production awhile back? Spyders produced in May, or whatever the time frame is, are labeled early models. Quite possibly, the emissions info on those models was not reviewed and certified by CARB before BRP was ready to put them into the market pipeline. Maybe, and this is just my speculation, since the early 2021s were essentially the same as the 2020s BRP thought the 2020 CARB cert would cover them. And maybe that's what has happened in the past. Who knows, maybe there is a new 'strictly by the rules' head of CARB who kiboshed that old practice. One thing we know for sure, BRP nor CARB will ever clear up the mystery for us.

As I see it it's not a matter of BRP building separate 49 state and CA state models, but a problem of getting a CARB cert in a timely fashion. Without the EO in hand BRP could not push the Spyders out the door as CARB certified, even though the CARB cert causes no changes whatever to the physical machine. The fact that the first digit of the VIN is different between the CARB and non-CARB may be more of a record keeping action and a way to prevent non-CARB machines from having their manufacturing info massaged to make them look like CARB machines.

I think in this case the only difference between CARB and non-CARB machines is the label that is allowed to be affixed to them, and the first digit of the VIN.

I couldn't agree with you more. (See my post #71). I believe the problem is the state of California and has nothing to do with the machine itself. I believe it's the label and unusual bureaucratic process, not the configuration of the bike..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Supercrawler View Post
    Just got through talking with financial manager Jason at Imotorsport.
    They are in process of swapping the vehicle, just need more time.
    He added the BRP produced 2 models if the last 10 digit is start with #2 its 50 states complied if its start with #4 except California.(which is mine)
    Imotorsport just received 130 spyders with #4 when they found out they are about return all to Can Am.

Order for the CARB each and every year for each model is mind boggling. CA delayed this and BRP got anxious to ship so shipped with exception to these early models. That being said I Motorsports should have received a "warning bulletin" specific to this shipment. BRP knows full well they ship to all lower 48 states including CA

I know this is aggravating and will take time but some one simply was not doing their job or this would not have happened. I am sure I Motorsports will make good on this as they have no other choice. I do hope for your sake they expedite it.

I tried to deal with them several weeks ago on a 2020 or 2021 RTL. I made inquiries and received some Private Messages about I Motorsports with mixed responses. One buyer who lives 50 miles south of me was shipped the wrong color. IM did make it good after some delay. Others were not pleased and some had very positive transactions.

As some one above pointed out it is a "leap of faith" to purchase several thousand miles away with promises of correct paper work, color and delivery in a reasonable time. Most of this is dependent on how responsible the person or persons you are dealing with. As you know some are and some could care less and simply want the commission and a quick deposit in their Bank Account.

Also each state as you have found out has different criteria for their registration and tax not to mention emissions.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ndspyderlover View Post
    I also bought a new Spyder from imotor and it was a pleasant experience. will buy their again.
    Yes but you are not from "Cali" and their way of doing business and "saving the Planet".

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Yes but you are not from "Cali" and their way of doing business and "saving the Planet".

Jack
    I've lived in Los Angeles since I grew up, and there is no question that emissions controls made a huge difference in the quality of life here. When I was growing up, there were constant "smog days" and the view was often simply brown. It's not like that anymore, and I like to be able to ride in the clean air of our nearby forests and canyons. It would make more sense if every state kept their emissions as controlled as possible.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Purchased 2021 spyder rtl from IMotorsports on 12/20.
    California DMV will not & cannot registred due to the Emission level. Precisely said,"Certifed For Sale In All States EXCEPT CALIFORNIA"
    (Imotorspors should realized about this since thier sold many of spyder to california, right?)

Anyone have with a similar situation or solutions?
    We are all waiting to hear how your registration with I-Motorsports and the state of California worked out. Has it been solved and if so how? We would all like to know.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I guess I don't understand why you bought the Spyder out of state. There are lots of reputable dealers all across the state. You know if you buy from one of them they would have registered it for you. Instead you are dealing with a dealer that apparently does not know the laws out here, or they made a huge (to you) mistake. We have purchased 3 Spyders in California with no issues. Just wondering what motivated you to roll the dice?
    Have you tried to purchase one now? MSRP for the motorcycle, dealer mark up fees due to Covid (lack of inventory), etc, AND they won't budge one inch on the price. I am looking to purchase my first one thru iMotorsports because the dealer up in Ncal (Spirit) and my 3 dealers down in SoCal (DelAmo, TriCounty, etc.) want to take advantage. iMotorSports is aware of the CA sticker issue and is holding up my purchase until they get it sorted, which is better for me.

Spyder Garage

Just got through talking with financial manager Jason at Imotorsport.
    They are in process of swapping the vehicle, just need more time.
    He added the BRP produced 2 models if the last 10 digit is start with #2 its 50 states complied if its start with #4 except California.(which is mine)
    Imotorsport just received 130 spyders with #4 when they found out they are about return all to Can Am. <----Great info
    Not all dealerships show the vin # when viewing new inventory on there website, but Yes every CA. dealership shows the last 10 digits beginning with a "2", Those that do in the other 49 states begin the last 10 digits with a "4"

I looked further and All the Sea to Sky models I found in stock in different states ALSO begin the 10 digit with a #2, so looks like if you find one in a different state it may be compliant, but as others have said or mentioned if Less than 7500 miles, make sure the emissions label reads California or 50 State certified.

2000000001.jpg

Spyder Garage

Jason from IMotorsports called me today.
    They finally received California version from Can Am It ready to ship out and swap the wrong spyder they sent.
    Well,,this is what I been waiting for.
    The IMotorsports was very understandable the mistake they made standes for consumers point of view all the way swaped the bike with no question to asked,, Defiantly recommend IMotorsports to purchase the bikes to all my friends.

Spyder Garage

Just finished reading this whole thing. Wow. I think I need a beer and a nap now. LOL

Spyder Garage

Jason from IMotorsports called me today.
    They finally received California version from Can Am It ready to ship out and swap the wrong spyder they sent.
    Well,,this is what I been waiting for.
    The IMotorsports was very understandable the mistake they made standes for consumers point of view all the way swaped the bike with no question to asked,, Defiantly recommend IMotorsports to purchase the bikes to all my friends.
    Thank you very much for posting the resolution. Now we all know about the integrity of a good dealer..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Thank you very much for posting the resolution. Now we all know about the integrity of a good dealer..... Jim
    From everything I've read on this Forum I'm not surprised they did right by the OP ..... but I'm guessing the salesperson who made the error got " spanked " if not worse ................JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schreckftw View Post
    Meanwhile, me not being in one of the only 7 counties in Ohio to actually require an e-check, ripping off the catalytic converter on my Spyder.
    Horsepower? Wondering if I could get away with that on a Ryker 600 ...

** Just basically a piece of straight pipe, right? Here we call them "converter testers" ... <G>
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    From everything I've read on this Forum I'm not surprised they did right by the OP ..... but I'm guessing the salesperson who made the error got " spanked " if not worse ................JMHO .... Mike
    From what I read earlier in this thread this might be a case of Imotorsports getting blindsided by BRP sales and shipping. One thing we can count on. We'll never be told for sure who dropped the ball!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

... and the best part is you didn't have to do battle with the guvmint to git er done. My last encounter with the state was applying for a personal plate that I've had for decades. It had lapsed as I was in the hospitals on and off for about a year after a major wreck. Paid the money to renew, and got a letter a couple weeks later saying it had been denied because somebody might find it offensive ...

Headed back to the DMV, letter in hand, ready to kick some bureaucratic butts, and got lucky. The branch manager agreed it was BS, made a couple calls, and the plate showed up about a week later.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    From what I read earlier in this thread this might be a case of Imotorsports getting blindsided by BRP sales and shipping. One thing we can count on. We'll never be told for sure who dropped the ball!
    And I am guessing that person will remain nameless.

The bottom line though, Customer and iMoto had a problem, solved the problem, and the customer got what they wanted. This was not solved instantly because governments got involved. They worked through it though.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-07-2021 at 11:13 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for concerns, thoughts,and advises,

Spyder Garage

Finally my patience has been paid off.
    IMotorsports has delivered my (truly mine) bike today.
    I was bit of agony not to ride spyder that I purchased it simply don't feel like it is mine.been parked next to Harley for some time.
    Just over 1500 miles since I got early Dec of last year.
    Want to add the differences from early 21 model late 21 model are late 21 has the Belt tensioner or damper already installed, and the mirrors are solid no vibration at all,, finaly Brp listened riders complain i guessed.

Spyder Garage

Congrats. The good news is you're back down to nearly zero miles on your bike and presumably the warranty has been reset. Enjoy!

Spyder Garage

Yes,Sir,,
    The new bike has only 1.7 mile. Enjoy every bit of it for sure.