Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    I guess I don't understand why you bought the Spyder out of state. There are lots of reputable dealers all across the state. You know if you buy from one of them they would have registered it for you. Instead you are dealing with a dealer that apparently does not know the laws out here, or they made a huge (to you) mistake. We have purchased 3 Spyders in California with no issues. Just wondering what motivated you to roll the dice?
    I would say price is the motivation. If cost is not an issue. Anything can be done. I would also say that this is a very rare situation. A vendor isn't going to last if these kinds of issues are not extremely rare. Someone dropped the ball somewhere. But I'd say this vendor will make it right. Too bad that someone is going to have to bite an unknown size bullet on this one.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I guess I don't understand why you bought the Spyder out of state. There are lots of reputable dealers all across the state. You know if you buy from one of them they would have registered it for you. Instead you are dealing with a dealer that apparently does not know the laws out here, or they made a huge (to you) mistake. We have purchased 3 Spyders in California with no issues. Just wondering what motivated you to roll the dice?
    Well the obvious reason would be price. The second is door to door delivery. It appears BRP did not get the EO for the 2021 spiders from the state of CA.

Does anyone else from CA have a 2021 RTL with this sticker? Perhaps it is a very early import and the EO was not received before shipping it to California or the new sticker failed to be mounted prior to shipping.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

The key thing here is that according to iMoto, this is the "first" instance of any problems with selling bikes to customers in the state of CA.

Give them a break to get the problem solved, which they said they would. If it is CA's fault for not having the right certificates for the manufacturers or sellers, that is just another strike for the state.

I have successfully purchased two Spyders from iMoto in the last year. All the paperwork was flawless and registration went just fine. Went to DMV yesterday and got my HC plate updated to the new 2020.

There are at least two dealers within 100 miles of me, one would not deal a dime on the 2019. It was take it or leave it. I left it. And I talked to the "owner" about it. Have not been back since. The other dealer would not return phone calls. Their loss, I guess.

I also like the fact that iMoto accepted my trade, no hassle, picked it up, and delivered the new Spyders to my back yard as ordered, etc. Would definately use them if there is another Spyder in my future.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Based on RideOn's findings, it's pretty apparent what happened. Can-Am built as usual 50-state Spyders but there was an approval backlog at CARB so Can-Am released the 2021 RT with a 49-state emissions label event though the RT was 50-state compliant. Can-Am also sent a notice to the dealers but it was missed for Supercrawler's sale to a CA destination. iMotorsports can't fix this, only Can-Am can.

So I repeat my earlier guidance: get your VIN and call Can-Am to get an updated emissions label.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Know also that they may require to visually see the VIN in 2 places, one on the engine to prove the engine isn't stolen. This a two wheel problem affecting our Spyders for registration in Calif. If you got that far in the inspection and didn't get flagged then you are good. If you didn't they will want to see it on the engine. This is what happened to me when I bought my used 2015 RTL from out of state with 15k miles on it. If they do flag you on the engine VIN, I never did find mine, go to CHP, those guys have leeway to not see the engine VIN. They got me squared away in 15 mins. DMV here is a major PItA.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I got an email from Drew Warner Financial Dept at IMotorsports.

"Here you go.
    temp tag attached
    Jason is working on a solution to our problem.
    Thanks again for your patience"

As for the question why I bought my spyder from out of Cali (IMotorsports)
    The IMotorsports has better reputation than any other dealer in so Cali, I have been screwed from Del Amo Motorsports in Inglewood, Temecula and Motor united in La Habra.
    They are a bunch of idiots; wasting my whole day, nothing but playing games.
    The IMotorsports online sales persons are very easy to deal with,
    Every person I talked to, you could tell has had some knowledge with their product. With that being said, I highly recommend IMotorsports.
    Also, at the time couldn't found the color that I want.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Supercrawler View Post

"Here you go.
    temp tag attached

As for the question why I bought my spyder from out of Cali (IMotorsports)
    The IMotorsports has better reputation than any other dealer in so Cali, I have been screwed from Del Amo Motorsports in Inglewood, Temecula and Motor united in La Habra.
    They are a bunch of idiots; wasting my whole day, nothing but playing games.
    The IMotorsports online sales persons are very easy to deal with,
    Every person I talked to, you could tell has had some knowledge with their product. With that being said, I highly recommend IMotorsports.
    Also, at the time couldn't found the color that I want.
    I agree, wait to see what Imotorsports can do before jumping the gun. I also didn't buy from a dealer in my state for the same reasons you stated.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

They sent a temp tag so you can ride the bike while they work this out. In the end they will have to put a 50 state bike on the truck and send it to you and pick that one up to sell as used. IMS is going to take a pretty good hit on this with loss of value in the used bike and round trip shipping. They will very likely not be able to apply a new decal to the bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

"Here you go.
    temp tag attached
    Great to hear, Supercrawler . Yes, it’s a right PITA for you, but a resolution is underway. Sometimes, things just fall between the stools, even if you have the best of intentions

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    ..... remove the LH bodywork under the seat and see if there is a small rectangular box with two Philips screws on its cover and a rubber hose pointing downwards. If you have that then you're on the way to CA emissions compliance. If you don't then you've just made a $5K mistake. How do I know? BTDT.
    Is this box you were talked about?

https://imgur.com/Q15QgoZ
    https://imgur.com/3KiGJqe
    https://imgur.com/JJUy3Ik
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-03-2021 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Wow, this is just crazy. Hope it all works out.
    One thought I have is that iMoto might have made a mistake, but they are on the hook because the bike isn’t certified for “sale” in California. I think that the point of not being able to register it is moot after that...they shouldn’t have even sold it to you.
    IANAL, but thats what I see......
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes that is the pre-canister filter. The evaporative canister is located further to the right where those two hoses are headed.

You have a CARB-compliant 50-state vehicle. Just a bit ahead of the CARB approval process as RideOn's research discovered.

I checked Cycle Trader to see if 2021 RT-Ls are being sold new by CA dealers. Two places, San Diego and Elk Grove. So this situation should be resolved soon.

I was wrong about IMotorsports. They are aggressively intervening on your behalf with Can-Am (BRP). I'm impressed.

EDIT: I disagree with IMotorsports will have to take your Spyder back. The resolution is an updated emissions label. Tomorrow I'll try to ride over to Fun Bike (on the MG the RT-S is getting its maintenance baseline) and get a picture of the emissions label.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 02-03-2021 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Added information

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes that is the pre-canister filter. The evaporative canister is located further to the right where those two hoses are headed.

You have a CARB-compliant 50-state vehicle. Just a bit ahead of the CARB approval process as RideOn's research discovered.

I checked Cycle Trader to see if 2021 RT-Ls are being sold new by CA dealers. Two places, San Diego and Elk Grove. So this situation should be resolved soon.

I was wrong about IMotorsports. They are aggressively intervening on your behalf with Can-Am (BRP). I'm impressed.

EDIT: I disagree with IMotorsports will have to take your Spyder back. The resolution is an updated emissions label. Tomorrow I'll try to ride over to Fun Bike (on the MG the RT-S is getting its maintenance baseline) and get a picture of the emissions label.
    I have serious doubts that an " emissions label " could LEGALLY be applied by anyone other than BRP or Calif. DMV .....jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    They sent a temp tag so you can ride the bike while they work this out. In the end they will have to put a 50 state bike on the truck and send it to you and pick that one up to sell as used. IMS is going to take a pretty good hit on this with loss of value in the used bike and round trip shipping. They will very likely not be able to apply a new decal to the bike.
    I agree, This is something that I Motorsports should have caught for a sale to CA. All dealers were notified about this delay and accepted these Spyder's knowingly. It was probably an early production and BRP had not received Executive Order on the CARB.

This is done for specific years each and every year. S0--They shipped early with a specific exemption for CA. Only BRP can Physically and legally change that sticker.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I see Jack.
    That explained,
    Around Nov of 2020 I called Cali dealers lookin for 2021 model no dealer has it they said it will be available sometime in Feb 2021.

Spyder Garage

For me, there were two specific reasons why I bought from iMoto:

1. At the time, there was a sizable rebate from BRP on 2019 RTLs, and no California dealer near me had what I wanted.

2. They offered me a better price for my trade than any nearby dealer I contacted. (BTW, the trade-in only lasted a few days at iMoto according to their website.)

Was it entirely painless? No, but the only real aggravation was dealing with DMV and paying the additional taxes and fees to CA. The entire transaction was done by phone and email - which does admittedly take something of a leap of faith. The new Spyder was rolled off the trailer and my trade-in rolled on about two weeks after the sale was finalized.

I was able to have the new Spyder inspected, titled and registered in one afternoon with the documents from iMotorsports and my checkbook. And it saved me over $6k to buy from iMoto and do my own title and registration.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Just got through talking with financial manager Jason at Imotorsport.
    They are in process of swapping the vehicle, just need more time.
    He added the BRP produced 2 models if the last 10 digit is start with #2 its 50 states complied if its start with #4 except California.(which is mine)
    Imotorsport just received 130 spyders with #4 when they found out they are about return all to Can Am.

Spyder Garage

Just got through talking with financial manager Jason at Imotorsport.
    They are in process of swapping the vehicle, just need more time.
    He added the BRP produced 2 models if the last 10 digit is start with #2 its 50 states complied if its start with #4 except California.(which is mine)
    Imotorsport just received 130 spyders with #4 when they found out they are about return all to Can Am.
    So glad to hear that they are making this right. A great reason to do business with them!
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have serious doubts that an " emissions label " could LEGALLY be applied by anyone other than BRP or Calif. DMV .....jmho ..... Mike
    Hahaha... looks like you were proved right and BertRemington was wrong, Mike ��.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Nothing has happened yet,,
    Just have to wait.
    There's things has to remove if they swap'
    Baja Ron sway bar, pedal commander, belt tensioner, f3 handle bar, passenger armrest, fog light, two brothers muffler, and so on,,,,

Spyder Garage

Been following this with interest. Glad to see iMotorsport doing the right thing (as I expected they would). What a mess. And the cause? Not to get politics involved, but...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

That's incredible SMH. Ironically the first state I ever tried a can am in was California through Turo cause it's one of the only states where you can ride one without a motorcycle license. It gave me the bug instantly and when I returned home to the east coast I went straight to the MSF course. I did notice that the F3 I rented had Wisconsin plates though 🧐
    2017 F3-S Daytona 500 , Cheddar Cheese Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Red face

I am absolutely stunned by this turn of events. Can-Am produced two 2021 Spyder variants, both of which have the evaporative canister but only one of which is CARB-compliant. And I'm not the only one that is stunned. Here's the money quote "Imotorsport just received 130 spyders with #4 when they found out they are about return all to Can Am." Assuming a dealer price of $20K you do the math.

So Petoz I was wrong. Not only was I wrong but I was conceited about it two days ago "I agree with IGETAROUND and others that Can-Am doesn't make 49-state-only models. But I could be wrong -- it happens sometimes." Thanks for the reminder -- I need them occasionally.

And Supercrawler's situation is a disaster. Not only has he lost the joy of a new Spyder tailored exactly as he always wanted but it all has to be rolled back as labor or parts or both. Accessories only return your investment if you get to enjoy them. And I doubt a BajaRon odometer solution is feasible with the Spyder's "nanny" VSS. Plus he has to explain all this to his bank, etc. My sympathies and I hope he's on the road in time for a CA Spring.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Can-Am produced two 2021 Spyder variants, both of which have the evaporative canister but only one of which is CARB-compliant.......

So Petoz I was wrong. Not only was I wrong but I was conceited about it two days ago "I agree with IGETAROUND and others that Can-Am doesn't make 49-state-only models.
    No, I don't think that is really the case. The responsibility (blame?) I think rests on California, primarily. Remember the discussion about early and late MY production awhile back? Spyders produced in May, or whatever the time frame is, are labeled early models. Quite possibly, the emissions info on those models was not reviewed and certified by CARB before BRP was ready to put them into the market pipeline. Maybe, and this is just my speculation, since the early 2021s were essentially the same as the 2020s BRP thought the 2020 CARB cert would cover them. And maybe that's what has happened in the past. Who knows, maybe there is a new 'strictly by the rules' head of CARB who kiboshed that old practice. One thing we know for sure, BRP nor CARB will ever clear up the mystery for us.

As I see it it's not a matter of BRP building separate 49 state and CA state models, but a problem of getting a CARB cert in a timely fashion. Without the EO in hand BRP could not push the Spyders out the door as CARB certified, even though the CARB cert causes no changes whatever to the physical machine. The fact that the first digit of the VIN is different between the CARB and non-CARB may be more of a record keeping action and a way to prevent non-CARB machines from having their manufacturing info massaged to make them look like CARB machines.

I think in this case the only difference between CARB and non-CARB machines is the label that is allowed to be affixed to them, and the first digit of the VIN.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    The key thing here is that according to iMoto, this is the "first" instance of any problems with selling bikes to customers in the state of CA.

Give them a break to get the problem solved, which they said they would. If it is CA's fault for not having the right certificates for the manufacturers or sellers, that is just another strike for the state.

I have successfully purchased two Spyders from iMoto in the last year. All the paperwork was flawless and registration went just fine. Went to DMV yesterday and got my HC plate updated to the new 2020.

There are at least two dealers within 100 miles of me, one would not deal a dime on the 2019. It was take it or leave it. I left it. And I talked to the "owner" about it. Have not been back since. The other dealer would not return phone calls. Their loss, I guess.

I also like the fact that iMoto accepted my trade, no hassle, picked it up, and delivered the new Spyders to my back yard as ordered, etc. Would definately use them if there is another Spyder in my future.
    I also bought a new Spyder from imotor and it was a pleasant experience. will buy their again.