Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

When I called iMotorsports about a possible sale, I mentioned that I need a "50 state model" and they said now virtually all of them are. THEY SHOULD ABSOLUTELY KNOW TO SEND YOU A CA MODEL, as it was delivered there, and they no doubt collected CA sales tax. They did seem to be aware of the issues, and certainly should be. It was almost certainly an honest mistake, and I think they will see that.

I purchased a Spyder in Vegas (it was a 50 state model) and they told me a story about once selling a 49 state model to a A resident and having to replace it.

They got a lot of business here, and, ONLY if necessary, I'm sure they would like to know that you put up this thread and will be letting us know if they did the right thing, or not.

I suspect they can and will find a way to address it for you without the need for any form of coercion. Please keep us up to date.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Meanwhile, me not being in one of the only 7 counties in Ohio to actually require an e-check, ripping off the catalytic converter on my Spyder.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

I purchased a Honda Valkyrie from Pennsylvania years back. It was 'Used' but had only a few miles on it. When I took it in to get registered, they gave me the same story. It needed to have at least 7,500 miles on it. I took it home, pulled the speedo cable, attached it to a variable speed drill motor and ran it at 140 mph for about a day and a half. Not going to help you much though.

The key here is whether or not the Spyder is a 50 state machine. Or, if there is a 49 state model and a California model. You have to determine this to go forward. I would think the people who sold this Spyder to you would know. And, certainly a Can-Am Dealership would know. And BRP would know. Don't trust the robots at the DMV to give you the right answer. Because they don't know, and they don't care. It's 100% on you to come up with the right answer.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up The Valk..........

Just a bit off topic-------
    But isn't the Valk a wonderful bike?? I regret selling my Tourer. Only modded it a bit cause it really doesn't need much. Surprising agile for a big girl and love the torque.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I purchased a Honda Valkyrie from Pennsylvania years back. It was 'Used' but had only a few miles on it. When I took it in to get registered, they gave me the same story. It needed to have at least 7,500 miles on it. I took it home, pulled the speedo cable, attached it to a variable speed drill motor and ran it at 140 mph for about a day and a half. Not going to help you much though.

The key here is whether or not the Spyder is a 50 state machine. Or, if there is a 49 state model and a California model. You have to determine this to go forward. I would think the people who sold this Spyder to you would know. And, certainly a Can-Am Dealership would know. And BRP would know. Don't trust the robots at the DMV to give you the right answer. Because they don't know, and they don't care. It's 100% on you to come up with the right answer.
    Baja,

I didn't think you would ever do anything ill eagle.

Spyder Garage

save can am label.jpg
    I will call IMotorsports today.
    I did not mentioned that i want 50 states model but they know i purchased from cali.

Spyder Garage

yeah that definitely says not a California model.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Got an e-mail this morning.
    Drew Warner From I Motorsports

"I will talk to the boss about how we fix this.
    I will be in touch.
    Sorry about the issue."

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Supercrawler View Post
    save can am label.jpg
    I did not mentioned that i want 50 states model but they know i purchased from cali.
    Odd that my 2020 RT includes California on the sticker but your 2021 does not. Same 0.8 HC+NOx value.

Spyder Garage

I just don't believe BRP would make Spyders with 2 different emission standards for sale in the U.S. I'll bet the dealer will just send a new sticker to put on the bike..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Some things never change ..... Back in the early 70s, I had a high school job in an auto parts store/speed shop. One of the questions we sometimes had to ask when someone was buying a particular part was if the vehicle was a "California car" because of the emissions controls that were only put on cars sold in California. In some cases, the parts were very expensive or special order and if bypassed, we had to tell the guy that he might get in trouble if he fiddled with it and was found out. From a hot rodding perspective, we stayed away from engines and cars sold in California.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Baja,

I didn't think you would ever do anything ill eagle.
    When I asked the person at the DMV who informed me that there was 'No way you will be able to register this vehicle in California' for any suggestions. She said that I could give my Valkyrie to a friend in another state, (she suggest Arizona). Let them ride it until it went over 7,500 miles, then bring it back and try again. Awesome, I thought. Just what I had planed for my brand new (to me) Valkyrie.

I know turning an odometer back is illegal. I'm not sure there is an ordinance prohibiting the other direction.

save can am label.jpg
    I hope you can get this worked out. Real shame.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-02-2021 at 01:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

Got a phone call from jason at IMotorsports.
    Said they never had any issued registred in California my spyder is only one having a problem.
    And he and BRP will do best to solved this issed.(i mentioned the emission label)
    I will see how they solved this problem.

Spyder Garage

Got a phone call from jason at IMotorsports.
    Said they never had any issued registred in California my spyder is only one having a problem.
    And he and BRP will do best to solved this issed.(i mentioned the emission label)
    I will see how they solved this problem.
    If the emissions label excludes CA, then it's definitely a closed case. Not sure how that would ever fly regardless of how many you tried to get registered. It will be interesting to see how they resolve this one. My guess would be to swap that one out for a 50 state version.

Spyder Garage

I will definitely inform you all what's the outcome.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Is it possible that is an early production model manufactured before BRP had obtained the CARB certification? Maybe BRP was having trouble getting CARD cert on a timely basis because of Covid-19 hangups. Even if the engine, fuel, and emissions systems were identical to certified 2020 models CARB probably still requires a new cert for the new model year.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

save can am label.jpg
    I can't imagine that it would be your responsibility to ask for a Spyder that can be registered legally in the state in which is being delivered to, where they know you reside, AND WHERE THEY CHARGED YOU SALES TAX FOR (correct me if I'm wrong on that).

They blew it, plain and simple. An honest mistake, no doubt, but still their RESPONSIBILITY to make right.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

Supercrawler -- you're wasting your time calling IMotorsport. They've got your money, they're 1,500 miles away, and they know you're never coming back. Game over for them.

What you need to do is get your VIN and contact Can-Am about California emissions compliance. I agree with IGETAROUND and others that Can-Am doesn't make 49-state-only models. But I could be wrong -- it happens sometimes.

Your emissions label looks damaged. Did you buy a new vehicle? What was the mileage? Was it a demonstrator? Was it bought at auction?

If you bought a used Spyder and Can-Am does make 49-state-only models then you gotta wait 10 years before you can move your Spyder out of your garage (or you can drive it 7,500 miles unregistered and uninsured).

Lastly, while you are investigating emissions labels, remove the LH bodywork under the seat and see if there is a small rectangular box with two Philips screws on its cover and a rubber hose pointing downwards. If you have that then you're on the way to CA emissions compliance. If you don't then you've just made a $5K mistake. How do I know? BTDT.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Supercrawler -- you're wasting your time calling IMotorsport. They've got your money, they're 1,500 miles away, and they know you're never coming back. Game over for them.
    I have to disagree. iMotorsports does a LOT of business off of this site, and most people who have dealt with them seem to have very good stories. I can't say for certain how they will handle this, but it is the easiest and best path to pursue first. If that fails, or they drag their feet, then they deserve to have this become a very public issue.

On the other hand, if they step up, they also deserve the good conversation this has the potential to generate for them on our site. Let's give them to the end of the week to solve the error. As a business owner, I've had to deal with clients who complain to the internet before even trying to solve a problem with us, and it isn't fair or right. We all make mistakes, and they deserve the chance to fix it.

Now, if they were the ones who put you in this position (BTDT - been there done that, as you said), then I can easily understand your post.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post

What you need to do is get your VIN and contact Can-Am about California emissions compliance. I agree with IGETAROUND and others that Can-Am doesn't make 49-state-only models. But I could be wrong -- it happens sometimes.

Your emissions label looks damaged. Did you buy a new vehicle? What was the mileage? Was it a demonstrator? Was it bought at auction?

If you bought a used Spyder and Can-Am does make 49-state-only models then you gotta wait 10 years before you can move your Spyder out of your garage (or you can drive it 7,500 miles unregistered and uninsured).

Lastly, while you are investigating emissions labels, remove the LH bodywork under the seat and see if there is a small rectangular box with two Philips screws on its cover and a rubber hose pointing downwards. If you have that then you're on the way to CA emissions compliance. If you don't then you've just made a $5K mistake. How do I know? BTDT.
    Thanks for you advised(?)
    I bought it new, it has only 10 miles.
    Appear to be the emission label has never been tempered.
    I will look into under the seat rectangular box that you mention about.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for you advised(?)
    I bought it new, it has only 10 miles.
    Appear to be the emission label has never been tempered.
    I will look into under the seat rectangular box that you mention about.
    Just a thought here ...... why don't you go to a Can-Am dealership and take a pic of the sticker / s on a Spyder they have for sale ..... then compare it to what you have on yours ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

That's good idea,
    I will do that tomorrow.
    As for the motorsport will give some times since they called me that they`'ll
    Work with the BRP to solved this problem.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

MRH -- I know nothing about iMotorsport except what is on their website. My BTDT experience was for a privately sold 2011 Royal Enfield. Actually not my most expensive motor vehicle mistake. That would be the 2001 Acura Integra Type R stolen from in front of my house three weeks after I purchased it. Trying to recover it taught me a lot about Acura Integra owners, very little was flattering. Let's just say most have a different attitude toward private ownership that members of this forum.

The essence of my argument remains: iMotorsport can't solve this CA emission label problem -- only Can-Am (BRP) can. If this Spyder is an 49-state model for whatever reason, only Cam-Am can provide a CA emissions label and corrected VIN information. And they can't if the evaporative canister with the pre-filter I cited above doesn't exist.

Apparently iMotorsport acquired and sold the Spyder in good faith. And apparently Supercrawler bought it in good faith assuming Can-Am only produced 50-state Spyders. But in the end the resolution is between Can-Am and Supercrawler. And if the evaporative canister (photograph is pre-filter, the hose leads to the canister) is in place I'm positive Can-Am will provide the necessary CA emission label.
    P1030409.jpg
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Default Some info that may help

That's good idea,
    I will do that tomorrow.
    As for the motorsport will give some times since they called me that they`'ll
    Work with the BRP to solved this problem.
    Supercrawler, I've tried to do a bit of research to help. I bought a new 2019 RT Limited from iMotorsports last June, and I received a Spyder with a label saying it met both federal and CA emissions (i.e. a 50-state model). I had no trouble getting it titled and registered in CA.

But on the CA Air Resources Board website, I found what is called an "Executive Order" stating that BRP has certified 2021 Rykers, both 600 and 900cc versions. There is an Executive Order for 2020 Spyders with the 1330, and there is one for 2019 models with the 1330 like mine. I printed out that EO and took it to DMV when I went to register, but they never looked at anything other than the label under the seat, the stamped VIN and the engine number.

I could not find an EO for the 2021 Spyders. I would assume from that BRP has not yet received certification from CARB, but that is speculation on my part. I did find a few links that might help you out:
    List of CARB EO issued: https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/cert.php
    A contact for someone who may be able to assist is on this page: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/new-vehicle-a...ecutive-orders
    The name to contact for on-road motorcycles (code HMC) is Duc Nguyen at (626) 575-6844

I've also linked a page from DMV on registering motorcycles: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicl...-a-motorcycle/
    The only thing I can find says it must have an emissions label that states it is CA compliant.

Hope this helps and good luck with getting things resolved,
    Bob
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I guess I don't understand why you bought the Spyder out of state. There are lots of reputable dealers all across the state. You know if you buy from one of them they would have registered it for you. Instead you are dealing with a dealer that apparently does not know the laws out here, or they made a huge (to you) mistake. We have purchased 3 Spyders in California with no issues. Just wondering what motivated you to roll the dice?
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.