Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Spyders have a primitive type steering design, not counting the fancy smancy Electric Power Assist.

Without, idler arms, or correctly positioned inboard tie rod ends, the design suffers from bump steer concerns.

For troubleshooting purposes, since what you describe regarding turn in and twitchiness indicates insufficient toe in, for the moment, avoid a laser alignment and just measure toe directly.

Without knowing your weight, I suggest have some of similar weight sit on the Spyder. Check the toe setting and be certain you have toe in, not toe out. If needed, carefully adjust equally both tie rods, striving for about 3/16” toe in at the tread.

If this stabilizes the handling, at your discretion, either immediately get a correct alignment done with resetting BUDS, or accomplish your suspension component replacements, the align.

Understand too, it is highly likely that even though mechanically the steering system is correct, electronically the steering system can be incorrect. The steering angle sensor has a small range left or right of center before it combines with the steering torque sensor, and adds input to the steering. Once in alignment these both must be nulled in the straight ahead mechanical position.

Regardless, having previously had a twitchy ill handling Spyder in our house, a simple alignment check and reset with tape measures cured the issue. These days I have BUDS and a ROLO setup, but my basic setup I accomplished was well within specs without the fancy equipment.

Spyder Garage

stupid question 🙋 but what are you lifting and shifting backwards

Spyder Garage

what are you lifting and shifting backwards the air box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No I am lifting and shifting backwards, just a few inches, the entire upper half of the bodywork. Since I was working by myself I wasn't sure if I could handle the frunk. And since I was replacing BRP fasteners with stainless steel it was easier for me to move the upper bodywork. I believe the process took three days. The spark plugs themselves were easy. Take care with the electrodes (don't even check the gap -- it's correct) and apply the thermal paste exactly according to instructions.

A couple of notes: (1) it's vital to completely remove the crossbar as Idaho describes; (2) separate the various connectors so you don't stress them; (3) as Idaho said, the right-hand air box fitting is magic -- you fuss and fuss and then suddenly it comes out or goes back in and you have no idea why.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile Ikon shocks fully met expectations

BLUF -- the front shocks are plush, with negligible stiction, supple motion and great dynamic range. This is exactly what I wanted! The rear shock seems similar but in my Aerostich Roadcrafter my butt-sensor isn't very sensitive.

Unpacked.jpg Instructions.jpg

Highlights:

The Ikon front shock travel and spring length is about 1 inch longer than BRP. It has rod end bearings (heim joints) on both ends with stainless steel shoulder bushings to match BRP's mounts. The 4-position adjuster is at the top with readable markings. A wrench is included for adjusting spring length.

The Ikon rear shock travel is about 1 inch longer and the spring length is about 2 inches shorter than BRP. The upper end has a rod end bearing with shoulder bushings to match BRP's mount and the lower end matches the BRP bushing. The 4-position adjuster is at the top with readable markings. A wrench is included for adjusting spring length.

Ikon said they pre-adjusted the spring lengths to my specified riding weight.

Front Shocks Installation Notes:

Frunk removed.jpg Left Top.jpg Left Bottom.jpg

Remove the front wheels. To prevent tipping off the lift jack, use jack stands at the ends of the A-arms.

The frunk must be removed for access to the top shock bolts, preferably onto a small dolly. Remove the three pushpins on both sides of the frunk fascia for access to connectors and the inlet air tube (7mm socket). Remove the upper (headlight) fascia for access to the top four frunk fasteners and lid latch. Lift the latch release cable out of its U-clamp and then wiggle the cable end dogleg out. Electrical connections are:

Left Side

Fog Light -- 3-position, 2-occupied, SuperSeal
    Frunk Light -- 2-position, SuperSeal

Right Side

Fog Light -- 3-position, 2-occupied, SuperSeal
    Lid Switch -- 3-position, fussy disconnect: keep wiggling
    AAPTS -- 4-position flat, fussy disconnect (this is an ECM-critical sensor)
    DLC-1 -- 6-position Deutsch, 5-occupied, pull straight out (CANbus-critical)

Mount the Ikon shock with the adjuster at the top facing outwards. After feeding the shock through the A-arm, install the bottom bushings, and lower it through the bottom mount until you have room to install the top bushings. Lift the shock into position and install the top bolt. Lift the A-arm into position and install the bottom bolt. With rod end bearings you needn't place riding weight on the wheels when tightening the bolts.

Rear Shock Installation Notes:

Raise the rear a few inches but leave the rear wheel on the ground. Move the evaporative canister pre-filter out of the way (two of four pushpins). Release the upper end of the suspension height sensor. Using a small LED flashlight, examine your access to the right-side mounting nut. If you have air suspension, take a deep breath this ain't gonna be easy. The compressor blocks direct access to the nut. I squeezed in a 15mm 3/8" socket but I had also removed the air inlet of the compressor (I'm replacing most of the air suspension). I think a 15mm 1/4" socket or a 15mm crowfoot wrench would work. Once you have the nuts off raise the rear until you can remove the bolts. The bottom bushing has two rubber protectors. Tap the bushing out, clean and grease (I recommend a water-displacing grease), and reassemble. Install the top bushings, lift the shock into position with the adjuster facing left and insert the top bolt leaving only two threads exposed on the right so you can more easily start the nut. Install the bottom bolt. With the top rod end bearing and lower BRP steel bushing you needn't place riding weight on the wheel when tightening the bolts.

But that's not all!

Explaining why I chose Ikon over the alternatives involves negatives so I'll just say our friends in Australia have a well-earned reputation for a well-made shock absorber tailored to their target community. Ikon has a representative in the USA with overnight technical support from Australia. Give Roger a ring to see if Ikon is right for you.
    Ikon USA.jpg

You'll notice in my Frunk removed picture some dinguses above the radiators and some battery cables hanging loose below. The dinguses are for my 4,500K 35W CANbus-safe HID headlights. The cables are for my second Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 (a future post).

While the frunk was off I installed 3,000K 5,000LM LED foglights (which will also be turn signal repeaters but that's a future post).

The headlights are for illumination (4,500K is the best match to the human eye) and the foglights are for conspicuity (3,000K is distinct from the higher headlight temperatures).

I didn't take rear shock installation pictures because it was really hard removing the top bolt and I was cold and tired. I'll take them when I replace the air suspension (soon).
    Last edited by BertRemington; 12-17-2021 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Corrected rear shock install sequence
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    "(I need new front tires)" Federal Formoza AZ01 tires up front and the BajaRon' sway bar are great improvements in handling and tracking straight. I have settled on 16.5 PSI in the AZ01s for best pressure for ride and handling. Discount tire could not balance them, as they did not have the correct cone. Tire tech did state that he mounted them with the colored dot lined up with the valve stem, which he said was a manufactures recommendation that I had never heard of before. I said fine just refund that charge. I had read here that the Federal hardly need any weight to balance, so I gave it a try and they are smooth as can be.

Recalibrate Turn Signal Flash Rate on your model year for LED bulbs.

1. Turn the engine ON.
    2. Press and hold the Hazard button until the Dashboard lights flash once (20-30 seconds).
    3. Release the Hazard button.
    4. Turn on LH turn signal.
    5. Let it blink once and turn the engine OFF.
    6. Turn the engine ON.
    7. Press and hold the Hazard button until the Dashboard lights flash once (20-30 seconds).
    8. Release the Hazard button.
    9. Turn on RH turn signal.
    10. Let it blink once and turn the engine OFF.

Repeat 1-10 completely if either LH or RH flash rate is incorrect.
    To be fair, I have a new 2021 RT Limited and the OEM tires it came with aren't that bad. Mine tracks straight and true and corners reasonably well for what it is. I'm sure better dampers with stiffer spring rates would improve handling with my weight, perhaps even a better sway bar too, but it seems OK as it is in normal use. How long it continues to run like this as the miles clock up of course remains to be seen, but at least I know it will be possible to return it to the proper state by replacing wear items, even using OEM parts if necessary.

I think I'm going to put some miles on it before I change anything, then it will be one thing at a time so I can understand which direction I'm going in. All they have to do under warranty now is fix the never ending C210A rear suspension codes, but it doesn't seem to effect the handling to be fair.

Would I buy the OEM tires again, I don't know, it probably depends upon wear rate rather than tire performance. Perhaps the newer K9 ones are better than the older specification. Mine run true and grip fine in wet or dry. They are not obviously the stickiest tires I've ever owned, but for a touring motorcycle they seem fit for purpose as far as performance on the road goes. Wear life may be a another matter of course. Considering my Triumph Trophy TTSE ran through back tires pretty rapidly, and they weren't cheap, I think anything will seem long lasting after that.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Burt - Thanks for all of the past posts.
    I really appreciate the installation details that you present.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the completed Spyder.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mecsw500 View Post
    To be fair, I have a new 2021 RT Limited and the OEM tires it came with aren't that bad..
    The general consensus is the tread wear of the front OEM Kendas is fairly decent, 20k miles +. The main complaints with them are balancing is a problem with some of them, and some are out-of-round, and some have other quality issues. So by and large the front Kendas are OK, but not great. It's the rear tire that most every owner hates, and mostly because of its p*** poor tread life.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    The general consensus is the tread wear of the front OEM Kendas is fairly decent, 20k miles +. The main complaints with them are balancing is a problem with some of them, and some are out-of-round, and some have other quality issues. So by and large the front Kendas are OK, but not great. It's the rear tire that most every owner hates, and mostly because of its p*** poor tread life.
    I guess it's down to expectations too. With my 3 previous long distance touring bikes, BMW K1200GT, R1200GS, and Triumph Trophy TT SE, my expectations are about 8,000 miles or so for a rear tire and to replace the front tire at the same time because they were close enough to make installing them as a pair feel nice. They were mostly 2 up with full luggage miles.

So if the expectations are at least double those distances with the Spyder I would be delightfully surprised. No one likes to spend money on tires for sure, but if I hadn't read anything anywhere else about tire life, I would have been a happy camper with mileage predictions of 16,000 miles.

All of the BMWs and Triumphs I have owned have had at least 2 official recommendations for replacement tires, so it might have been nice if BRP had 2 sources of replacements for covering supply chain problems, if not just quality and performance issues.

So far no comments on the quality of construction or tire life, just the experience of reasonable performance. Time will tell of course.

If I were to go with car tires, I would feel better if front and rear tires were from the same vendor and preferably the same family of tire, in the OEM sizes, so they exhibit the same characteristics under differing conditions. It's not a show stopper, but it would be nice if it were possible to make that choice.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Bert

Replace the seals and grease in the RT-622 Trailer and then forget about having any problems with it after that. (of course check the tires for age rot).

stay with the same size tires on the trailer, we have tried several different widths and sizes all to no avail.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer