Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear brake service - 2015 F3-S

I was changing the rear tire and had to wait on the o-ring between the sprocket and hub. During that wait time, and with the caliper suspended in air, I inadvertently pushed the brake pedal. I cannot get the caliper piston to push back into its bore. I push lightly on the brake pedal and the piston moved outward and the parking brake cam also pushes the piston out further: these were very small increments. I've opened the bleed fitting to let displaced fluid out without having to go back through the vehicle brake lines. First tried the flat screwdriver, then advanced to a C-clamp. I've been servicing our Spyders since '08 and this is a "first" for me.

So, experts (people with better experience than I), now is your time to shine: what is the trick to get the piston back into its bore so I can install new brakes pads?

Wayne (I only think I know what I am doing)
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Get a pair of needle nose pliers. You then push and TWIST/TURN clockwise as it actually threads back in....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

If you did anything to disengage the piston threads, you will need to push very hard as you turn the piston clockwise. Never turn it counter-clockwise.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for your quick and accurate responses! Your solution was literally a 30 second fix to what I had spent an hour on as I didn't understand the process. And the service manual didn't go into that kind of depth.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

This handy little tool fits on the end of your 3/8" Drive Ratchet or Extension. When replacing the rear brake pads on you 2013-2019 Can-Am Spyder, you must turn or screw in the rear caliper piston to make room for the new pad set. This little took makes the job much easier. The 2 pins fit perfectly into the corresponding holes on the rear caliper piston so you can turn it.

BAJARON has the tool for rear brake service.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

may be a lame question...I can see my rear pads need replace...no issue to do ...do i need to remove rear parking brake apparatus ? I'd loosen the two 12mm cable nuts but the rear plate has a nut holding it to the hub...it has a spring inside that locks ...is taking that off and re-installing it as simple as it looks or does the locking spring cause a few issues?
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White