Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2021 RT battery dying - What's the warranty on the battery?

It's been chilly here lately (down in the 20s at night and generally in the 30s to 50s during the day). I've had a few times when my bike cranked a little slowly but today was the worst. It was in the mid 30s before I went out on my ride and I had to crank the bike (slowly) for probably a good 10-15 seconds before it would fire. I'm guessing the battery is dying.

What's the warranty on the battery? (I'm guessing a year.) Who would cover the battery warranty? Dealer? Someone else? Could there be any other reasons for the hard start? I've added a Pedal Commander and a few LED lights but none of them are on when the bike's off so I don't see how those could drain the battery. The few times I've plugged in the battery tender, the bike's started right up. Anything else I should check before I whine and cry to the dealer? I have a 3k mile service coming up in about a month (depending on how much I ride in the meantime due to the weather). If the dealer is responsible for the battery warranty, I'll try to get it swapped out during the 3k mile service. I ride pretty much every weekend but rarely during the week due to work.

Thanks, all.

Spyder Garage

you have been riding regularly, so you are keeping battery and machine routinely running. mostly probably dealership didn't properly charge battery. i think most batteries on a new bike might be 6 months. check with dealership. or you could use your new meter to check static volts. since some mornings are around 20 degrees, still might affect cranking. you may need to buy a MAINTANER charger to put it on for those winter days. it would hook up to SAE in frunk, if 2021 comes like this , or hook up the lead
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

A few times?
    That tender should be connected EVERYTIME you park the bike at home until the next ride.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    you have been riding regularly, so you are keeping battery and machine routinely running. mostly probably dealership didn't properly charge battery. i think most batteries on a new bike might be 6 months. check with dealership. or you could use your new meter to check static volts. since some mornings are around 20 degrees, still might affect cranking. you may need to buy a MAINTANER charger to put it on for those winter days. it would hook up to SAE in frunk, if 2021 comes like this , or hook up the lead
    FWIW, according to the Yuasa instructions that come with new batteries that have been factory service filled, like the ones in the Spyder, at installation, the voltage is tested. If the voltage is within a certain range, no charging is required. Below that and various level of charging should be accomplished.

The old school servicing the battery and then charging fully prior to use is not required unless the battery voltage drops considerably.

I even made a call to Yuasa tech support to verify my battery serial number was a legit Yuasa battery and not a clone. The person assured me it was. We then discussed the charging before use and they mentioned the batteries have a fairly long shelf life before requiring a recharge before use. This lets the consumer get a better battery without worry of a dealer not charging it. Granted, if the machine has sat for months, it may require a top charge to bring back to 100%.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    It's been chilly here lately (down in the 20s at night and generally in the 30s to 50s during the day). I've had a few times when my bike cranked a little slowly but today was the worst. It was in the mid 30s before I went out on my ride and I had to crank the bike (slowly) for probably a good 10-15 seconds before it would fire. I'm guessing the battery is dying.

What's the warranty on the battery? (I'm guessing a year.) Who would cover the battery warranty? Dealer? Someone else? Could there be any other reasons for the hard start? I've added a Pedal Commander and a few LED lights but none of them are on when the bike's off so I don't see how those could drain the battery. The few times I've plugged in the battery tender, the bike's started right up. Anything else I should check before I whine and cry to the dealer? I have a 3k mile service coming up in about a month (depending on how much I ride in the meantime due to the weather). If the dealer is responsible for the battery warranty, I'll try to get it swapped out during the 3k mile service. I ride pretty much every weekend but rarely during the week due to work.

Thanks, all.
    All the best with a warranty replacement, seems it is up to BuRP as you call them to decide what they want to do.
    https://www.yuasabatteries.com/about...yuasa-battery/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It maybe because the oil is a bit thick at 20 deg temps it will take a few seconds longer to start. But you could have the battery tested if you want.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Life

Check your owners manual and or check with your Spyder Dealer.

Warranty on Battery.

Most batteries are 6 months. A few might be 12 months. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I leave mine on the battery tender, but still I feel a little drag on first start up, or maybe it's just me. Seems I read on this forum someone was complaining the dealer gve himm no hrlrp on the battery died in less than a year. I guess I'm no help to the question. I'm getting my 3K service on Feb 11, so I will surely ask.

2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

I would have the battery charged then load tested. The manual say's to use a 2amp charger.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Page 168 of your owners manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Take the coverings off and go to any decent local garage that has a Capacitance style battery checker,they usually have a printer built in and get yourself a printout of your battery condition and if bad take that to dealer and complain.If not bad look for problems elsewhere.IMO a good battery should be able to sit for a week at 30 degrees and still start the bike but if it was mine Id have it on a tender just to be safe.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, guys. I don't normally keep it on a maintainer as the only power I have in my "garage" is an extension cord plugged into an outlet on my porch. Probably wouldn't make any difference to keep everything plugged in all the time (at least in the winter) but it always makes me a bit nervous to leave things plugged into an outside outlet 24/7. Guess I'll have to get over that and see if that makes a difference.

I'm expecting my 3k mile service by the end of February/beginning of March. If it's still having issues then, I'll see if I can get BuRP to replace it. If not, I guess it's off to Lamonsters to buy another battery.

Thanks, again, everybody.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    Thanks, guys. I don't normally keep it on a maintainer as the only power I have in my "garage" is an extension cord plugged into an outlet on my porch. Probably wouldn't make any difference to keep everything plugged in all the time (at least in the winter) but it always makes me a bit nervous to leave things plugged into an outside outlet 24/7. Guess I'll have to get over that and see if that makes a difference.

I'm expecting my 3k mile service by the end of February/beginning of March. If it's still having issues then, I'll see if I can get BuRP to replace it. If not, I guess it's off to Lamonsters to buy another battery.

Thanks, again, everybody.
    Please let us know what you find out. It could help someone else on down the road. Safe Rides

Spyder Garage

You should not be having battery issues on a new 2021.

Some good suggestions above.

Battery maintainer good, but you should not need it if you are riding at least once a week. IMO

A good 100 mile ride to get it warmed up, fluids circulated, and battery fully charged may be your best solution.

Still problems??? Time to have a friendly talk with the service manager.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I totally agree with ARtraveler. If I were to start having trouble with mine (just purchased 12-30-20) the dealer would be making it good.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    You should not be having battery issues on a new 2021.

Some good suggestions above.

Battery maintainer good, but you should not need it if you are riding at least once a week. IMO

A good 100 mile ride to get it warmed up, fluids circulated, and battery fully charged may be your best solution.

Still problems??? Time to have a friendly talk with the service manager.
    ...... I would check the Batt. connections ..... I use STAR washers on the terminals ..... NEVER had them loosen on their own ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

When my 2020 would not start the dealer told me if it's the battery than as long as it's no older than 6 months than BRP will replace it free. My RT was 4 months old (from purchase date). It turned out to be a fuse.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

You didn't say how long you are riding each week. If it's just a quick 15 minute trip to the store and back, you're not putting enough charge back into the battery to overcome starting. New or nearly new batteries can be bad. A battery maintainer used all the time can mask a bad battery. It's possible for a bad battery to start your bike at home after just coming off a maintainer and then leave you stranded later down the road. If you're riding each week for an hour or two you should not need a maintainer provided the battery is good. I would assess your weekly riding habits and have the battery load tested. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    You didn't say how long you are riding each week. If it's just a quick 15 minute trip to the store and back, you're not putting enough charge back into the battery to overcome starting. New or nearly new batteries can be bad. A battery maintainer used all the time can mask a bad battery. It's possible for a bad battery to start your bike at home after just coming off a maintainer and then leave you stranded later down the road. If you're riding each week for an hour or two you should not need a maintainer provided the battery is good. I would assess your weekly riding habits and have the battery load tested. Good luck..... Jim
    I ride a minimum of an hour every week. Most weeks, quite a bit more. Last weekend was one of my shorter rides due to winter weather and I was only gone about an hour. I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow (they're closed on Mondays) and let talk to them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    A few times?
    That tender should be connected EVERYTIME you park the bike at home until the next ride.

AJ
    I couldn't agree more. My Spyder, or any bike that we have owned. Always had a battery tender on it as soon as it was parked in the garage! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    I couldn't agree more. My Spyder, or any bike that we have owned. Always had a battery tender on it as soon as it was parked in the garage! Tom
    I used to do that too. Until one time I unplugged the tender and rode the bike from Seattle, WA to Coeur d'Alene, ID. A distance of a little over 300 miles. Next morning I had zero battery. I thought someone had stolen it. But it was there. Had bike taken to a shop where they checked out the charging system. It was all OK. Installed a new battery and I was on my way. I now only plug the tender in when the bike will not be ridden for more than a couple of weeks. If my battery is getting weak, I want to know before I'm 300 miles from home. To each his own..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I used to do that too. Until one time I unplugged the tender and rode the bike from Seattle, WA to Coeur d'Alene, ID. A distance of a little over 300 miles. Next morning I had zero battery. I thought someone had stolen it. But it was there. Had bike taken to a shop where they checked out the charging system. It was all OK. Installed a new battery and I was on my way. I now only plug the tender in when the bike will not be ridden for more than a couple of weeks. If my battery is getting weak, I want to know before I'm 300 miles from home. To each his own..... Jim
    Actually, there is no correct answer or best practices, simply what each of us has faith in doing.
    Unfortunately in the case of your example, by your description, it sounds as if the battery had an internal structural failure vs more typical sulfation and age. Every now and then, the internal post of the battery can fracture. Electrically the battery internally is fine, but without contact to the external post, nothing comes out.

Spyder Garage

March 30, 2022 i had a new battery install by a spyder dealer. It has died and canam is giving the dealera hard time. BRP is a joke. It started with the front sprocket going out. I would never own another can am spyder. I have been riding since 1962.