Spyder Garage

Default what BT connections do you use together

My question is to see how people connect their 2020 RTL with Phone and BT

I have a 2020 RTL using a Zumo XT and a Samsung S8 and Sena 20

I have used it this way for sure without a problem:

Test # 1
    RTL Sync via BT to Phone
    RLT Sync via BT to Sena

Then I Listen to Music from phone app and make and take phone calls. I'm going to retest this because I think when was listen to music and a call came in, the music stop, I talked, I hang up but I don't remember if the music can back on or if I had to do something to have it come back.

Test #2 same as 1 but with Zumo XT

Zumo XT Sync via BT to Phone
    Zumo Sync via BT to Sena

Then I Listen to Music from phone app or zumo MP3 and make and take phone calls. I'm going to test this by getting a call come in, the music stop, I will talk, and hang up see if the music comes back. In this test I will not be able to listen to music via speakers. RTL don't take to GPS at all

Test #3 - Not so sure about this one

RTL Sync via BT to Phone
    RLT Sync via BT to Sena
    Zumo XT Sync via BT to Phone
    Zumo Sync via BT to Sena

Try to Listen to Music on speakers via Phone app
    Stop the music app
    Try to listen to Music via GPS MP# and than Music via Phone via GPS Gramin Drive APP
    Then take Phone call Via GPS

Let me know which method you use to do this and with how much success... Cold day project for me
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-29-2021 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation....

Spyder Garage

One thing I recently learned from this forum is that most bluetooth headsets have 2 bluetooth channels and that only 1 device can be active at a time on each channel.

So, while you might be able to pair more than 1 device to each channel and have the Sena remember the device, only 1 device can be active on that channel.

In my case, a Sena 10C, the pairing procedure is different for each channel.

So, if you did like I did and paired more than 1 device into channel 1 of your Sena you will have issues if both of those devices are turned on at the same time - the Sena doesn't know which one to use.

Here is my current setup and it has worked well for the last few rides:

Pair bike radio to channel 1 on my Sena
    Pair Nav to channel 2 on my Sena
    Pair phone to my Nav

I read on this forum where some have been successful pairing their phone to the bike but my phone would not pair with the bike - I had to pair it to my Nav which works well for phone calls but not for playing music.

Also, some have given up on the bike's built-in radio and music player and they pair their phone to channel 1 of the Sena and their Nav to channel 2. They then use their phone for music.

I also suggest you "clear all pairings" on your Sena anytime you add or delete a device. It can remember a number of devices - not sure how many. Just make sure you only have 1 device stored in each channel or make sure any other devices that you paired to that channel are turned off.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback my results below on same tread

Spyder Garage

My results -
    1 synced phone Samsung S8 to RTL - OK sync via audio and call
    2 play music via phone app and listen via speakers (no Sena hook up yet) - OK
    3 Synced Sena 20S to RTL - OK
    4 Tested music on speaker and head set - ok
    5. Phone my cell phone RTL answer and worked ok (via Sena) music turn off when call came in
    6. Stopped call - music came back than phone disconnect . needed to reconnect to get music (I did this same test later on I did not need to reconnect)

Test 2 with Zumo XT

Same steps except I play MP3 from XT as well as S8 App Everything worked fine and music came back after call . As expected on sound thru RTL Speakers

Test 3

Redid Test 1 and everything worked fine

Add Zumo XT

Phone and head set automatic connected when I turn BT on Zumo XT
    Phone and head stayed connect to RTL
    Listen to MP3 via XT via Sena
    Phone app music was still on amd thru speakers and at the same time my MP3 music from XT came through Sena Head set
    never heard S8 Phone music via headset tryed to switch but nothing

Made call and RTL answered and worked.

Interesting results. I have always used my zumo 665 on a goldwing and switched between XM radio (part of zumo) and MP3 and Nav voice. I usually mute Nav voice since it cut the music off I just watch the zumo screen Phone calls were always good and easier to use.

I think using RTL as the communication system is better and only look at my zumo for NAV. The only reason I did this test is because the phone interface with zumo is far better than RTL on. Making calls and looking up contracts is easier. Maybe I'll try setting up phone / zumo for phone calls and phone to RTL for audio only.

I hope this help some people understand what you can and can not do . Note my Samsung A10e did not work with zumo XT at all

ron w

PS I tried to have one Sync between Zumo XT and Sena as call and contract and the RT sync with sena as audio only. The RT one worked but the Sena to Zumo XT would not let me set it up as call and contract.