Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2019 vs 2020 RT Limited?

So.. it's been a long time since I've owned my RS-S 2013 (and RT-S) which I sold in 2016 but...

I believe nothing has changed much from 2013 to 2019 except for the Rotax engine going to 1330 cc and the RS-S dropped in favor of the Ryker 660 model. I had switched to standard bikes again (Honda VFR 800 Interceptor and a 2020 Yamaha R3 ABS).

I may be in the market for the new RT Limited 2020 or newer and I've scoured the Inter-Googles on the new 2020 and onward model of the RT changes.

Best I can tell is that the new model:

• Doesn't have driver-over-heating issues (mostly due to the highway board arrangement)
    • The new brake pedal takes some "getting used to"
    • The new audio may be better quality (it's hard to get the specs for the speakers before and after)
    • The new RT has Bluetooth and also a CanAm proprietary app (ie. not Carplay/Android Auto) which requires a direct USB plug-in and Bluetooth connection
    • Handling is improved
    • Stability may be improved
    • Seating position may have been lowered?
    • Top speed may have slightly increased

Wondering if anyone owned the previous RT Limited and their opinions on seat comfort / position, if anything I noted is wrong above, and I've watched the vid on the Slavic overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgOrLpaifVo

Wondering if the rear hatch opens on its own (similar to the C8 Corvette frunk) or if there's a recall on that?
    Wondering if any of the CanAm accessories are worth it as the RT Limited seems to come with everything I'd want (ie. is the extra lighting worth getting for function vs style, or the all-leather seat option; is it actually heated too?)

I distinctly remember my 2013 models had that front-end wandering feel as it "searched the road" to which the trick was to "let it wander" and loosen the rider's grip and lower the PSI in the tires to 15 PSI.

The Spyders before were counter-intuitive to sportbike riding with the yolk of course, and you always felt like "high-siding" in a turn, requiring a different riding style and weight positioning. (I'm familiar with this oddness).

How's noise comparatively and wind buffeting between the pre and post 2020 models? Personally, I found the 2013 model to be quite isolating (in a good way) but added the wind restrict add-on plexiglass pieces (are those accessories worth it?)

I'm not opposed to buying "used" (ie. 2020) because some deals can be had with mods such as the better aftermarket Baja Ron sway bar.

What mods are truly mandatory?

Thanks guys.. considering coming back !!
    Last edited by mikecronis; 01-28-2021 at 03:07 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Oh, I am familiar with the 2020 "Zip Tie" and "Sprocket" issues up to early 2021.

Spyder Garage

Blue tooth came aboard with the 2018 and the new all digital dash. 2019 gained hill hold and a new wheel design. Car tires up front and BajaRon's sway bar greatly improved our 2018's handling.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikecronis View Post

• Doesn't have driver-over-heating issues (mostly due to the highway board arrangement)
    • The new audio may be better quality (it's hard to get the specs for the speakers before and after)
    • The new RT has Bluetooth and also a CanAm proprietary app (ie. not Carplay/Android Auto) which requires a direct USB plug-in and Bluetooth connection
    • Handling is improved

Wondering if anyone owned the previous RT Limited and their opinions on seat comfort / position, if anything I noted is wrong above, and I've watched the vid on the Slavic overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgOrLpaifVo

Wondering if the rear hatch opens on its own (similar to the C8 Corvette frunk) or if there's a recall on that?
    Wondering if any of the CanAm accessories are worth it as the RT Limited seems to come with everything I'd want (ie. is the extra lighting worth getting for function vs style, or the all-leather seat option; is it actually heated too?)

I distinctly remember my 2013 models had that front-end wandering feel as it "searched the road" to which the trick was to "let it wander" and loosen the rider's grip and lower the PSI in the tires to 15 PSI.

How's noise comparatively and wind buffeting between the pre and post 2020 models? Personally, I found the 2013 model to be quite isolating (in a good way) but added the wind restrict add-on plexiglass pieces (are those accessories worth it?)

I'm not opposed to buying "used" (ie. 2020) because some deals can be had with mods such as the better aftermarket Baja Ron sway bar.

I traded in a 2018 RT Limited for my current 2021 RT base. I'd say the differences are well worth the admission cost.

-The overheating issues were only on the 2013 model year as BuRP tried to stuff the "old" 998 into the "new" 1330 body.
    -I didn't have any issues finding the brake pedal after the 1st 10 minutes or so. I think it's MUCH easier to find and activate. Now, you can keep your heel on the floorboard as you're modulating the brake giving you more control.
    -All 2018+ RTs have the BuRP Connect. With that, you can d/l a few apps and display them on the right side of the dashboard. Honestly, it's NOT ready for prime time. And, no. There still isn't Apply Carplay or Android Auto.
    -Handling and stability IS improved over the previous generation (2019 and older). Quite a few of us have still added the Bajaron sway bar with good results. The improvements aren't as great as they were by adding the sway bar to the previous gen, but there are still improvements.
    -The seat is lower by something like an inch. It doesn't sound like much on paper but that along with the HUGE floorboards makes a heck of a difference. The one reason I traded my "old" RT in for this is legroom. I'm happy now.
    -I have no idea about top speed. I think both the previous and current gens were governed for something like 112mph. Honestly, where are you going to go faster than that? All I know is that the 2021 RT will run triple digits (according to my brother as I've never ridden over the speed limit).
    -Never heard of an issue with the top case lid. The previous gen F3 Limited has some issues as the lid was a bit flimsy.
    -I'm a big fan of as much lighting as possible. Nobody can see us.
    -As far as I know, none of the BuRP RT seats are leather although they're all a very nice vinyl as most motorcycle seats are. The Limited comes with heated seats, driver grips and passenger grips. The base model has non heated seats and heated drivers grips only.
    -If you bike wanders, you need an alignment. Period. Has nothing to do with the year of the bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Blue tooth came aboard with the 2018 and the new all digital dash. 2019 gained hill hold and a new wheel design. Car tires up front and BajaRon's sway bar greatly improved our 2018's handling.
    What's this? I have it on my car but don't know anything about this on my RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    What's this? I have it on my car but don't know anything about this on my RT.
    RE: Hill Hold Control (HHC) from page 69 of my 2020 F3 manual. Should be the same for the RT's since we share the same engine/transmission:

This vehicle has a HHC function.

While in gear (forward or reverse) and when going up on a slope from stand-still, the VSS will hold the brakes when brake pedal is released, and automatically release the brakes as soon as the throttle is applied.

Note: A minimum slope of 5% is required to activate the HHC.

This function is automatic and does not need to be activated by the driver.

Note: The HHC is active for 1 second when the brake pedal is released.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-28-2021 at 07:20 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

So.. it's been a long time since I've owned my RS-S 2013 (and RT-S) which I sold in 2016 but...

I believe nothing has changed much from 2013 to 2019 except for the Rotax engine going to 1330 cc and the RS-S dropped in favor of the Ryker 660 model. I had switched to standard bikes again (Honda VFR 800 Interceptor and a 2020 Yamaha R3 ABS).

I may be in the market for the new RT Limited 2020 or newer and I've scoured the Inter-Googles on the new 2020 and onward model of the RT changes.

• Handling is improved

The Spyders before were counter-intuitive to sportbike riding with the yolk of course, and you always felt like "high-siding" in a turn, requiring a different riding style and weight positioning. (I'm familiar with this oddness).

You will find that the change from the 998 twin to the 1330 triple was a great improvement on the line up. The 2013 got a bad rap because they were built to house the 1330 triple...which was not ready, they used the 998's and ended up having heat issues and about five fires. The word is that the 2012's were probably the best year for the 998's.

Also true that the 14 through 19's were pretty much the same. Improvement wise, an extra gear, runs best in the 3500 rpm range, smoother, quieter, and less maintenance required compared to the 998's. 10 mpg extra on average.

The 20's were a re-design of the RT and the 21's are pretty much the same except for the S2S model which has some extra bling.

I had a 2010, 2011, and 2014 RT. In 2019 I jumped to the F3, which I like even better than the RT. We also bought a new 2020 F3 but I do not notice a lot of difference in it compared to our 19.

What the others say about the 20 RT seems to cover most everything that I can think of.

If not sure....a test drive will bring you back to be a SpyderLover.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-28-2021 at 07:21 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    RE: Hill Hold Control (HHC)

Note: The HHC is active for 1 second when the brake pedal is released.[/B]
    On my 2015 RAM it stays on for a believe any amount of time after the brake is released!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This is why I love this forum. Great information! I think the "Open Rear Hatch" sensor sometimes gets a message to the dash (not the cellphone cubby).

There actually IS a leather-seat option on the accessories section of the CanAm website but it's a bit vague as to whether or not the heating feature is functional after the install. Here's the link to that: https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...oast-seat.html

I think that seat might only be for the F3, though? Not sure if there's hook-ups. Hmmm...

I'm wondering if anyone has got the additional lighting or the comfort seat to try?
    Finally, I noticed a blank switch on the dash left for some other option? What option would that be to add the switch?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is why I love this forum. Great information! I think the "Open Rear Hatch" sensor sometimes gets a message to the dash (not the cellphone cubby).

There actually IS a leather-seat option on the accessories section of the CanAm website but it's a bit vague as to whether or not the heating feature is functional after the install. Here's the link to that: https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...oast-seat.html

I think that seat might only be for the F3, though? Not sure if there's hook-ups. Hmmm...

I'm wondering if anyone has got the additional lighting or the comfort seat to try?
    Finally, I noticed a blank switch on the dash left for some other option? What option would that be to add the switch?
    The Open Rear Hatch light will come on if the top case OR the saddle bags are open.

That leather seat is ONLY for the F3.

There's no specific accessory meant for that spare switch housing. Some have used it for a garage door opener.

Spyder Garage

In the manual it says something about a extra aux. light. There is a place up front to add a light but it is wired to stay on at all times the engine is running, not switched.

I'm going to add another USB port with a amp gauge built in to power my android phone. That way I can use android auto, maps & IHeart radio when I'm riding. I'll install a phone mount from Motorcycle Dave that attaches to the center of the handle bars.

Here's the USB switch I'll use. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RE: Hill Hold Control (HHC) from page 69 of my F3 manual. Should be the same for the RT's since we share the same engine/transmission:

This vehicle has a HHC function.

While in gear (forward or reverse) and when going up on a slope from stand-still, the VSS will hold the brakes when brake pedal is released, and automatically release the brakes as soon as the throttle is applied.

Note: A minimum slope of 5% is required to activate the HHC.

This function is automatic and does not need to be activated by the driver.

Note: The HHC is active for 1 second when the brake pedal is released.
    Must be something wrong with mine. Mine will roll backwards (or forwards, I guess) if I release the brake.

Spyder Garage

Must be something wrong with mine. Mine will roll backwards (or forwards, I guess) if I release the brake.
    Is the grade 5% or more? That's all I can think of.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I see that it is mentioned in the Can Am literature but there is no mention of it in my owners manual. I have not noticed it activating on my bike - 2400 miles on hilly north georgia roads and parking lots so far. But then again, out of ingrained motorcycle habits, I am not sure I have ever released the brake before giving it throttle (while on an incline). Will test it this weekend on my steep driveway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is the grade 5% or more? That's all I can think of.
    Yes, sir. There's an 8% grade going up to my folks house. I've been stopped by traffic and wildlife more than once in each direction. When I let off the brake, the bike just rolls.

Spyder Garage

according to AR's post, the HHC is only active for 1 second after you release brake on a hill. The spyder will roll forwards or back after that.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    according to AR's post, the HHC is only active for 1 second after you release brake on a hill. The spyder will roll forwards or back after that.
    May be why I haven't noticed it. Weird that they put a description of the feature in the F3 OM but not in our RT OM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Not on mine. Foot off the brake, immediate roll. Not a big deal, honestly. I keep my foot on the brake until I'm ready to go, fancy electronic gizmo or not.

Spyder Garage

Not on mine. Foot off the brake, immediate roll. Not a big deal, honestly. I keep my foot on the brake until I'm ready to go, fancy electronic gizmo or not.
    Agree, seems of limited use if it only works for 1 second anyway. I guess if you have a passenger and are fully loaded on a steep hill it might give you a bit of help when moving your foot off the brake to when the throttle responds.

On my 2 previous motorcycles and my current vehicles, the hill assist remains active until you give it gas. On my bike I used it all the time at traffic lights - hill or not. I could take off with both feet on the pegs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    Agree, seems of limited use if it only works for 1 second anyway. I guess if you have a passenger and are fully loaded on a steep hill it might give you a bit of help when moving your foot off the brake to when the throttle responds.

On my 2 previous motorcycles and my current vehicles, the hill assist remains active until you give it gas. On my bike I used it all the time at traffic lights - hill or not. I could take off with both feet on the pegs.
    I added the Pedal Commander. I have it set on Sport +2. If I touch the throttle, the bike's moving, just as it should have from the factory.

My 2019 Honda CR-V has the hill assist thing. I use it around my area as it's pretty hilly (foothils of NC). I like it and like you said, it holds (for up to 10 MINUTES) until you hit the gas.