Spyder Garage

Default Fog Light switch - can I use any switch or must it be BRP's?

OK , now for another newbee question. Can I use any switch in the spot for the fog light switch? Or do I need a BRP Spyder specific rocker switch ?? I've had dash open and know the plug and wiring is there Will this switch work ?? https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-made-...0ODWODOU&psc=1

Thanks for the help
    2010 Can AM Spyder Rt audio & convenience, with no fog lights and no rear speakers

Spyder Garage

I had that switch in use for my fog lights on my STS.
    The pins on the switch fit perfectly in the socket for the OEM wiring.
    The only issues may be with the switch itself lighting up.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stant52 View Post
    OK , now for another newbee question. Can I use any switch in the spot for the fog light switch? Or do I need a BRP Spyder specific rocker switch ?? I've had dash open and know the plug and wiring is there Will this switch work ?? https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-made-...0ODWODOU&psc=1

Thanks for the help
    2010 Can AM Spyder Rt audio & convenience, with no fog lights and no rear speakers
    Yes and no. It'll probably work to switch the power to the fog lights but the switch probably won't be lighted. What you really want is a single throw single pole switch with a separate feed for the the switch light. Carling brand is what you want to look for. Make sure it has four terminals. The one in the link shows only three.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The switch shown in the amazon link should work for both lighting the fogs AND the switch LED as long as the 3rd terminal is connected to the NO (load side). LED will light only when switch is on (activating the fogs).
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The switch shown in the amazon link should work for both lighting the fogs AND the switch LED as long as the 3rd terminal is connected to the NO (load side). LED will light only when switch is on (activating the fogs).
    I should have been clear that the LED will light only when the switch is on, not all the time like the OEM switches do. I just looked at the detailed info on the Amazon page and it looks like the terminals are correct for plugging into the Spyder harness.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

If you are wiring separate, non OEM fogs, you will want to run the output from the switch to a relay fed from the battery. That way you won't run the possibility of messing with the CANBUS system. I run a Carling switch and switch QD socket for my driving lights on my 19 RT Ltd.
    Knowledge is the accumulation and remembering data.
    Wisdom is the effective application of it.

[img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.png?
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 2" brake pedal riser with wide pedal Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbyte View Post
    If you are wiring separate, non OEM fogs, you will want to run the output from the switch to a relay fed from the battery. That way you won't run the possibility of messing with the CANBUS system. I run a Carling switch and switch QD socket for my driving lights on my 19 RT Ltd.
    There is no connection between the fog lights and CANbus. You are safe to use the OEM fog light connectors above the front shock absorbers to power the new non-OEM fog lights.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I just tried plugging that switch in and the terminals don't match at all to the socket
    Anyone else have any ideas ?/ Thanks!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stant52 View Post
    I just tried plugging that switch in and the terminals don't match at all to the socket
    Anyone else have any ideas ?/ Thanks!!
    Post a pic of the socket so we can see what its configuration is. I just looked in the parts diagrams for 2010 to 2012 RTs. The part number changed in 2012. Parts suppliers don't list a superseding switch part number for the 2010/2011 one so something significant changed with that switch in 2012. You may be stuck with having to find an OEM switch but the ones I saw are $32. Ouch! How handy are you electrically and with wiring? You might be able to use the switch you have by making three short jumpers to go between the switch and socket.

Do you have the service manual for your Spyder? If not, get one. A good source is www.canammanuals.com. Not sure if they are legit, but they are what's available. Not sure if the 2010 manual on that site has the wiring diagram or not. You might need to get a 2011 manual. Some of the earlier manuals didn't include wiring diagrams I don't think.

2014 Copper RTS