Spyder Garage

Red face towing a trailer with a 2015 f3-S SE6

Hello all, I am considering towing a camper trailer with my 2015 F3 SE-6. has anyone had any experience with this setup. I added a trailer hitch system similar to the one offered by canamspyderaccessories.com that doesn't require the rear axle to be removed(attaches to the swing arm). I am considering the Kompact Kamp Mini-mate trailer. I plan to keep my trailer total weight down to the 400 lbs. recommended by BRP for the RT models. I was wondering if I need the swivel hitch with the trailer? i was thinking it is unnecessary because there is no lean to the spyder. Any feedback would be most appreciated!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rbelandjr View Post
    Hello all, I am considering towing a camper trailer with my 2015 F3 SE-6. has anyone had any experience with this setup. I added a trailer hitch system similar to the one offered by canamspyderaccessories.com that doesn't require the rear axle to be removed(attaches to the swing arm). I am considering the Kompact Kamp Mini-mate trailer. I plan to keep my trailer total weight down to the 400 lbs. recommended by BRP for the RT models. I was wondering if I need the swivel hitch with the trailer? i was thinking it is unnecessary because there is no lean to the spyder. Any feedback would be most appreciated!
    I tow a trailer using a regular hitch ball setup with no issues. Keep tongue and trailer weight at recommended weight......can’t even tell it’s back there.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Regular 1“7/8 ball is fine, however the wiring connector is a 4 pin square, most trailers are different. Won’t need swivel hitch unless may tow with a 2wheeler. Watching the tongue weight can be troublesome but it’s more about stopping (safely)capability than pulling. Believe couple members have the mini mate & may chime in.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Won’t need swivel hitch unless may tow with a 2wheeler.
    I agree with the "won't need a swivel hitch", but disagree on the rest of it.

I have been towing trailers behind 2-wheelers since 1978. Never felt the need for a swivel hitch, never wished I had one.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Regular 1“7/8 ball is fine, however the wiring connector is a 4 pin square, most trailers are different. Won’t need swivel hitch unless may tow with a 2wheeler. Watching the tongue weight can be troublesome but it’s more about stopping (safely)capability than pulling. Believe couple members have the mini mate & may chime in.
    .... and the 400 lbs weight limit is all about the STOPPING ability. ..... there have been a couple of other members here who regularly tow higher weights than 400 lbs. without any issues .... However their trailers have Electric brakes and this makes stopping a lot easier. .... when I was building Tow hitches for Spyders I would test them by towing my 3100lb Toyota Echo on my flat gravel driveway. .... Didn't have any issues ..... good luck .... Mike