Spyder Garage

Default Ryker won't start...

Hi folks

Got a 2019 Rally delivered to me this morning, from a private sale, but I can't for the life of me get it to fire up!

I've read and re-read the operating manual section but no joy.

I have tried both RF keys and have also fully charged the battery.

So, I'm in Forward gear with the handbrake on and the RF key attached. I press the starter to wake up the bike and then flick the red Engine Run switch to on, and hear what I presume is the fuel pump priming. I twist the throttle gently and back again and can hear a further whine. With my foot on the brake pedal I press the starter button once more and release it but get nothing - no additional noises or clicking. When the Ryker is woken up I get the message displayed to read the safety card before operating. I have obviously read the safety notice inside the panel before the starting procedure. My engine light is illuminated orange in outline during this time. I have a full tank of fuel.

I've tried it with the parking brake off and I am pressing the starter button promptly after twisting the throttle and having my foot on the brake. I've tried varying lengths of time pressing the starter button down.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Spyder Garage

Further to the above, I've managed to get the starter motor to spin if I twist the throttle to its maximum position whilst pressing the starter button at the same time. The starter motor continues to operate after I've released the throttle and starter button, but stops when I take my foot off the brake. Operating the throttle once the starter motor is operating makes no difference to the sound, or it 'catching'.

I also can't select any display settings, pressing the lower button doesn't do anything - I thought I might at least be able to reset trip computers or the clock.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You need to roll the throttle forward (opposite of the direction when your giving it fuel) and let it return to start it. The throttle twist forward is very short before it stops.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tip - you're absolutely spot on!

My motorcycling brain missed the bit about lifting the wrist up - once I counter-intuitively did that it fired up!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cripes View Post

My motorcycling brain missed the bit about lifting the wrist up - once I counter-intuitively did that it fired up!
    Hello, and welcome from Washington, USA, the state not the swamp. Glad the fix was so simple. When you were explaining about twisting the throttle, I immediately thought you might be twisting in the wrong direction as well. When I first got mine, I had a number of stomach twisting moments when mine wouldn't start, even after several attempts, before realizing I forgot to step on the brake first.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the welcome.

It's funny how the brain - well, 'my brain' - completely ignored the detail of the direction to twist the throttle upwards. I was assuming, from years of experience on two wheels, that spring-loaded throttles only went in one direction.

Just waiting for the ice and snow to subside before I make my maiden voyage.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cripes View Post

No problem. I really wish BRP would just let you start the Ryker, Spyder, their ATV's, Watercraft, Ski-doos. They all have these unique little "procedures". I think BRP does this because they think its cool. I personally find it quite annoying.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    No problem. I really wish BRP would just let you start the Ryker, Spyder, their ATV's, Watercraft, Ski-doos. They all have these unique little "procedures". I think BRP does this because they think its cool. I personally find it quite annoying.
    Perhaps it is intended as an additional anti theft feature? I agree it is a bit silly and annoying though

Spyder Garage

Keeps my DW from running away on it! Then she hit the kill button last week getting on and I could not get it to start until I found kill button, which I never use.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

When it will not start always check the kill button first. It does get bumped on occasion.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick