Spyder Garage

Question 2018 F3L audio question

Ok, I have searched and read on this subject but cannot find a clear answer. On my wife's 2018 F3L the audio is terrible! And I'm not talking about just the radio reception either but all around. I've heard earlier models that sound fine, and I know the '18 is the newer style with amp and radio modules built into the display. Is there anybody with similar experiences? Are there settings that maybe we overlooked? A dealer visit is out of the question as there aren't any near me. We bought it new and although she doesn't listen to the on boards system much, if at all, it aggravates me that it's on the bike and doesn't function well enough to even use. Thanks in advance.
    Mine: 2016 Indian Springfield & 2021 Indian Roadmaster
    Wife: 2018 Can-am Spyder F3 Limited Pearl White
    2018 F3 Limited , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lugnut1009 View Post
    Ok, I have searched and read on this subject but cannot find a clear answer. On my wife's 2018 F3L the audio is terrible! And I'm not talking about just the radio reception either but all around. I've heard earlier models that sound fine, and I know the '18 is the newer style with amp and radio modules built into the display. Is there anybody with similar experiences? Are there settings that maybe we overlooked? A dealer visit is out of the question as there aren't any near me. We bought it new and although she doesn't listen to the on boards system much, if at all, it aggravates me that it's on the bike and doesn't function well enough to even use. Thanks in advance.
    I’m thinking there is no difference in sound quality when usingAUX input? It’s the same whatever is being played? Was this thing like this new?
    Trace wiring to check grounds and connections for good contact. Other than that......you’ve got a head scratcher to figure out. Looking in the shop manual, it’s very basic information....check wiring continuity........swap out with known good component.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

When plugged into the AUX port it’s a little better but still not like others. For instance, I have a friends at my house I’m doing some maintenance on. It is a 2014 RT and it sounds 10x’s better than this ‘18 F3L and the RT is the bottom of the line model too.

Spyder Garage

First thing. Make sure your dash has the latest update. Version 20.8 That will be in settings under the (about) setting. If it has that than play with bass, treble, balance, and fader. If it has 13.2 or less the sound will suck. And brp connect and bluetooth wont work properly.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks, we've called our so called local "dealership" about software updates and they claim there aren't any. I'm to the point now that I'm looking into purchasing BUDS myself so there won't be a question. The bike has been serviced by myself since purchased new, and although we've called and asked, it has never been back to a dealer for any upgrades or revisions of software. We bought it in late September of 2018 and now have over 18k miles on it. AND that's with my wife not being able to ride for shoulder surgery and recovery then again for back surgery and recovery.

Spyder Garage

Then you don't have the latest update. 20.8 came out in spring of 2019. Ofcourse the dealer is going to say there are no new updates since that one is almost 2 years ago.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does kinda sound like the dash firmware is not the latest.

There are multiple music sources. FM radio, phone and Aux. There is a setting that when you go faster the sound gets louder.

The FM should be loud by itself. The phone has to have the phone volume up all the way if you're getting music from it. Same with anything plugged into the Aux. Also the volume control on the headset could be down.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red