Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 3rd Brake Light - is there anything available that wont cause faults?

Ok I have the 2020 RT Limited, I would like to add something to the trunk/3rd brake light to make it flash when the brakes are applied. I was wanting the Back Off XP but one of our sponsors tells me that it's not designed for the Can-Am Spyder's system.

Does anyone have anything that will work without causing fault codes or anything? I only want to attach it to that one light.

Thanks in advance.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure about the '20, but I added the tail/brake/turn unit from Big Bike Parts to my wife's '17 RT-S. Also added a customized license frame from Signal Dynamics that has two full sets of red LEDs. Installed the Back Off XP module to flash just those lights, not the stock lights or the LED strips from TricLED, have had no problems.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Ok I have the 2020 RT Limited, I would like to add something to the trunk/3rd brake light to make it flash when the brakes are applied. I was wanting the Back Off XP but one of our sponsors tells me that it's not designed for the Can-Am Spyder's system.

Does anyone have anything that will work without causing fault codes or anything? I only want to attach it to that one light.

Thanks in advance.
    If you haven't already, get the service manual for your Spyder. A good source is www.canammanuals.com. I'm not sure they're totally legit from a copyright standpoint, but they are faithful copies of the OEM manuals, and about the only ones available to us mortals. You'll need it any case to very much maintenance on the bike yourself.

Study the wiring diagram. If the brake lights are like those on pre-2020 they are powered directly from a +12 volt source through the brake light switch. The only CanBus related connection is a lead that goes to the ECM that let's the ECM know when the brake pedal is pushed. In that case you can add additional lights without causing any problems. Based on what I see of trailer wiring harnesses I'm sure that is the case. If the brake lights were controlled by CanBus you'd see a whole different wiring scenario.

Custom Dynamics has several options for high mount brake lights.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If you haven't already, get the service manual for your Spyder. A good source is www.canammanuals.com. I'm not sure they're totally legit from a copyright standpoint, but they are faithful copies of the OEM manuals, and about the only ones available to us mortals. You'll need it any case to very much maintenance on the bike yourself.

Study the wiring diagram. If the brake lights are like those on pre-2020 they are powered directly from a +12 volt source through the brake light switch. The only CanBus related connection is a lead that goes to the ECM that let's the ECM know when the brake pedal is pushed. In that case you can add additional lights without causing any problems. Based on what I see of trailer wiring harnesses I'm sure that is the case. If the brake lights were controlled by CanBus you'd see a whole different wiring scenario.

Thanks, I download the manuals for my year and put a copy on my smart phone. Chris
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For my 2014 RT-S I just converted the incandescent 7507 turn and 1156 backup bulbs into dual LED turn signal bulbs (the LED backup light will be below the license plate). No fast flashes or dashboard indications.

PS I'm looking at the Skene P3 Lights with Decelerometer https://www.skenelights.com/online-s...ter-p199847654 as my CHMSL. I'm not expecting any problems but if I need assistance the Skene folks are helpful experts.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 01-24-2021 at 10:15 PM. Reason: added PS with CHMSL reference
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I do plan on purchasing a shop manual. (thanks for the link) I was in the repair industry for 30 years with lots of hands on experience so I'll be doing everything non warranty related myself. I did take mine back for a warranty issue and was less than impressed with the service department.

I was hoping someone had already done a 2020 or 2021 and could shed some light on it although all other thoughts are appreciated.

Spyder Garage

I have a basic modulator on my 2019 F3 Limited and it wires in the same as the 2020 and 2021 bikes. I did something else different from what others do and that is I cut the wire for the running light on the trunk so that way when the brake light comes on and modulates it really catches you attention.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pretty sure SpyderPops has one for the 2020. Think he's a vendor here. Click on that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Pretty sure SpyderPops has one for the 2020. Think he's a vendor here. Click on that.
    I sent SpyderPops a message but haven't gotten a response from them. I also contacted TricLED and what they offer is a system that plugs into the wiring harness to flash all of the rear lights and I was only wanting to flash the trunk light. I thought of purchasing one of the trunk kits and only using it for the light but that's a waste of money as the strip lights wont be used.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    I have a basic modulator on my 2019 F3 Limited and it wires in the same as the 2020 and 2021 bikes. I did something else different from what others do and that is I cut the wire for the running light on the trunk so that way when the brake light comes on and modulates it really catches you attention.
    If you don't mind, which basic modulator did you use? Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Thanks but that's the Spyclops that goes on the front of the bike, I have that one and really like it a lot.

Spyder Garage

I think I'll order this one and give it a try. I will report back after some testing and trying it out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0185HMIIQ...ding=UTF8&th=1

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whoops, and so it is, sorry. But SpyderPops does have one, if this link does not take it you immediately to it, it the the last one in the array of 2020 LEDs.

https://spyderpops.com/led-lighting/rt/

Spyder Garage

Whoops, and so it is, sorry. But SpyderPops does have one, if this link does not take it you immediately to it, it the the last one in the array of 2020 LEDs.

https://spyderpops.com/led-lighting/rt/
    Is this what you're thinking of? https://spyderpops.com/spyder-2020-u...e-also-spy394/ I had saw that & thought about purchasing it but I just do not like the strip lights that goes with it and to purchase them and not use them is just too much of a waste to me at $129.00. I thought either them or Tricled could just sell me the flasher without the other but apparently not. I understand as it wouldn't produce as much income for them but also some is better than nothing.

Spyder Garage

This is what I just installed. 20+ flash programs.

https://www.ledequipped.com/a-1375088/

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post

I got this from Rick at Value Accessories https://store.valueaccessories.net/4...robeLight.aspx for another project but was wanting to make the light that is in the trunk flash without having to install another light. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Picture of light installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I just ordered this little timer to turn off the third brake light strobe when setting at a stop light and holding down the brake pedal for extended time. I will let you know how it works out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spyder Garage

Picture of light installed.
    Why didn't you mount it at the top of the trunk lid? It would have been more visible up there. There are several lights made for that space. Did you consider any of them?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

We have the SPY394 version on our F3L 2019. $129.95. Works great. Planning on having a set installed on the new F3L 2020 when we take it in for first service.

Both Spyderpops and Lamonster Garage have the same set.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Why didn't you mount it at the top of the trunk lid? It would have been more visible up there. There are several lights made for that space. Did you consider any of them?
    Yes, they are however a bit pricy. The strobe I bought was 26 bucks on Amazon and even cheaper straight from LEDequiped.com. I could have fashioned a mounting block to match the contour up there, and I could still do that. However if I decide on a rear rack, then the light there is obscured. Where I put it, I have one 1/4" hole in the black plastic and Ace has nice little black plugs that I can pop in the hole. AND, I like creating little projects myself.

Spyder Garage

We have the full harness with Flasher available. They have the exact same CanBus compatible Flasher assembly in it that Custom Dynamics uses.
    We installed one on our own 2020RT, works great.
    https://store.valueaccessories.net/R...herModule.aspx
    Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Spyder Garage

Rick,
    I have looked at that but please correct me if I'm wrong, that would flash all of the rear brake lights wouldn't it?

I just want the trunk brake light to flash. Like maybe if that flasher unit would plug in directly at the trunk light would work.

I have a flasher that I got today and will try it then post back here in a few days after I install and try it out.

Spyder Garage

Yes, they are however a bit pricy. The strobe I bought was 26 bucks on Amazon and even cheaper straight from LEDequiped.com. I could have fashioned a mounting block to match the contour up there, and I could still do that. However if I decide on a rear rack, then the light there is obscured. Where I put it, I have one 1/4" hole in the black plastic and Ace has nice little black plugs that I can pop in the hole. AND, I like creating little projects myself.
    That's kind of what I thought might be the case. On my 2013, and then 2014 RTs I mounted TruFlex strips from Custom Dynamics, a red one for high mount brake, and short ones to the side for turn. Not as wallet friendly as what you bought. The brake one on my 2014 was replaced with a Custom Dynamics brake light by Pit Bull Motorsports when I was at Spyderfest. They goofed and cut the wires for it thinking my RT was the one scheduled to have one installed. It wasn't! Getting blocked by a trunk rack is why I installed a Rivco rack - https://www.rivcoproducts.com/shop/c...ca040bk-black/. The high mount brake light is quite visible under the rack. I wired in a Signal Dynamics brake light modulator and made my own harness for it all.

2014 Copper RTS