Spyder Garage

Default Changed Oil, Filter, & Trans Filter, now a problem!?

2010 Spyder RT audio & convenience SE5, I just changed oil, oil filter, and trans filter. I ran engine to operating temp, checked oil level, I'm a little over full. I still have to take a little out.
    BUT I'm getting flashing symbol (engine) check engine, check TCM, or limp mode, and I'm getting symbol for low oil pressure????
    I have no leaks, filters are in the same way they came out, I'm just a little overfull of oil.
    OH, I do still have the Spyder up on 3 jack stands.
    Oh and I now tried revving the engine up to 3000 rpms for 15 seconds and that didn't help, I'm still in limp mode.

Any ideas what the problem is??
    Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-24-2021 at 05:41 PM. Reason: try to correct spelling of filter in title - now fixed! ;-)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you installed both filters in correctly? Did you put the bike in gear and run it while up on the jack stands. If so, that will cause error codes to pop up. They'll clear as soon as you start riding.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you installed both filters in correctly? Did you put the bike in gear and run it while up on the jack stands. If so, that will cause error codes to pop up. They'll clear as soon as you start riding.
    .... maybe limp mode ??? .... the dash will tell you if you are ....... Mike

Spyder Garage

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Oil looked good that I drained out ,not that dirty ,I cleaned covers , put filters in the same way they came out . Oil filter pushed into cap then inserted into engine. , But it's in Limp mode ,won't rev over 3500 rpm

Spyder Garage

The problem is that it is up on jack stands. The front tires aren’t turning with the rear.
    2013 RTS
    M2 Shocks
    Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55/15
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 175/55/15
    Viair 97
    2013 RTS , Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stant52 View Post
    Oil looked good that I drained out ,not that dirty ,I cleaned covers , put filters in the same way they came out . Oil filter pushed into cap then inserted into engine. , But it's in Limp mode ,won't rev over 3500 rpm
    But did you run it on the jack stands and in gear? It's been a few years since I had my 2013 RT with the 998 engine, but I think you should put the filter onto the engine first, and then put the cover on. The HCM filter and cover was changed quite awhile back, but I don't remember if it was made longer or shorter. Was the HCM filter you put in the same size as the one you took out?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Well, I'm about stupid !! Thought I took my time and did everything correctly. WRONG, I put the freakin' oil filter in backwards !! All fixed in a matter of minutes

Spyder Garage

No you're not stupid, we all make mistakes from time to time. Glad you found it so easily and thanks for letting us know. Idaho the filters went from short to longer along with a new longer filter case.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

And just remember that running the engine in gear while your Spyder is up in the air is very likely to create all sorts of odd error messages, things like limp mode, brake failure warnings, VSS warnings etc!!

Generally, if you do that 'run it with wheels in the air' thing, getting it back on all three wheels and going for a gentle/careful ryde will fix it - as DougE & others suggested, if the front tires don't turn at the same speed and time as the rear, the Nanny thinks it's in dire straights and it'll try ANYTHING (or everything??) it can in order to save you from whatever....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stant52 View Post
    Well, I'm about stupid !! Thought I took my time and did everything correctly. WRONG, I put the freakin' oil filter in backwards !! All fixed in a matter of minutes
    Not stupid at all! Happens to young and old alike. Things like that are some of my greatest frustrations in life. Have been since my 20's.

Since it's been a few years since I changed oil on the 998 I really didn't remember if the filter could be put in backwards or not, but your symptoms indicated maybe it was. Glad you were willing to backtrack and check. Serves as a reminder to all of us to be d*** sure we put them in the right way!

Thanks for letting us know. We appreciate getting feedback as to success or failure in response to our suggestions.

2014 Copper RTS