Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default helmet communication recommendations

I have a 2020 RT L and my wife and I would like to add communication to our helmets. We have Shoei Neotec 2 helmets (modular). We are not interested in connecting to BRP. We will only be communicating with each other listening to music on bluetooth phone. I have read Sena is a good choice but for every good review there is also a bad one lol. Also I have read that if your doing what we want to do you should get them "paired". I have no idea what that means. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated. I did a search and didn't find anything particular to modular helmets

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I like Sena and wife and I use them. When they say pair them that is done by pushing a button on each head set at the same time and you will see the light on them change color, that will mean they are paired. easy as that. The Sena 50s come in sets and top of the line head set, if you can that would be what I recommend buy once and be done. https://www.sena.com/product/50s
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Since you have Shoei Neotec 2 Helmets which were designed to be used with the Sena SRL2 Bluetooth intercom systems and have "pockets" into which the SRL2 devices are installed, IMO you should contact Motorcycle Dave, a SL sponsor, to get "from the horse's mouth" information about the SRL2 before you consider purchasing other Bluetooth communication devices that must be externally attached to the Neotec 2 helmets.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Shoei has a Sena unit that is customized to fit neatly into the Neotec 2. After cobbling up an installation of a J&M wired helmet headset into my Neotec 2 I would recommend you first take a hard look at the Shoei unit. Then you can look to see if other units can be made to fit as good as the Shoei version.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a Shoei Neotech 2 aswell as the Neotech 2 specific SRL. The SRL is Sena based. One of the issues with the Neotech 2 is that it's made specifically for the SRL. This makes if very difficult to mount anything other than the proprietary SRL to the helmet. I've also got a Cardo Packtalk Slim. I think the Cardo is a touch better but there's no way to mount that to the Neotech 2 without hacking up the helmet. With that said, I really like the SRL. The SRL doesn't have the MESH system like some of the newer Senas and Cardos (for longer range intercom communication) but I don't use the intercom. I use the SRL 99% of the time to listen to music from the bike.

The SRL isn't cheap and you either need to get the correct one for your helmet (more in a second) or you need to make a slight (and very easy) modification to the helmet liner. The SRL retails for about $300. You can get an equivalent Cardo for about $100 less but it won't be integrated meaning it won't look as nice, it will weigh more and it will cause some wind noise.

There are (2) different versions of the SRL, the SRL and the SRL 2. The SRL 2 is made to mount to a later Neotech 2 build date (Feb, 2019/2020?, I can't remember). It's also meant to mount to the equivalent Shoei full face helmet. The ONLY difference in the 2 is that the original SRL has a hardwired boom mike whereas the SRL 2 has a choice of either a boom mike or a stick on mike (for the full face). Because of this, there's a small plug just in front of the right speaker. The older (which is a relative term in this case) Neotech 2 has the inner liner shaped for just the wire for the boom mike and the newer Neotech 2 has a slightly larger cutout to accomodate that plug. This tiny area (probably 1/2" long by 1/2" wide) would need to be cut out of an early helmet to accomodate the SRL 2. I did just this and it took me about 30 seconds. I only say this in case you have an early helmet and somehow get an SRL 2.

Bottom line, I like the Shoei Neotech 2 so much, it wouldn't matter what I had to do to get the SRL to work (although it works seamlessly). I love the SRL and find it easy to hear. On the few occasions when I get a phone call, the other party says they can hear me well, too. If I had to do it again, I'd get the SRL (or SRL 2) for the Neotech 2. You won't regret it.

Spyder Garage

I bought the "Cardo pack talk bold duo" head set for me and the wife. They come two to a box.They came paired to each other already .They were easy to set up on the helmets and have JBL speakers . We have had these for about 7 months now They come with DMC and Bluetooth capabilities . They are easy to Bluetooth to your phone and sound clear. The DMC mode is for communication with multiple riders in a group if you like to ride with a group . I would recommend these to anyone.
    I have never had the battery run down while riding.
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Since you have Shoei Neotec 2 Helmets which were designed to be used with the Sena SRL2 Bluetooth intercom systems and have "pockets" into which the SRL2 devices are installed, IMO you should contact Motorcycle Dave, a SL sponsor, to get "from the horse's mouth" information about the SRL2 before you consider purchasing other Bluetooth communication devices that must be externally attached to the Neotec 2 helmets.
    I do agree if you have the model made with the area for the Sena SRL2 then yes do get the SRL2, but if you have the older model Shoei Neotec2 without the area for the SRL2 then the Sena 50s. I was looking at the older model of the helmet when I posted the first time.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Over the years, we have used three different brands of communicators. Our favorite brand is the Sena. We are currently using Bell Mag/9 Sena helmets. The Sena units are built in to the Bell helmets, so no worry about installation by clamps.

We get up to four blocks direct line communication. Very sufficient for our bike to bike communication with each other.

Compared to other brands...Sena are almost noiseless, hold their charges for a full day of travel, and give the most distance.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I apologize for my mistake. I was not aware there was a version of the Neotec 2 that did not come with the compartments for the SRL2.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    I do agree if you have the model made with the area for the Sena SRL2 then yes do get the SRL2, but if you have the older model Shoei Neotec2 without the area for the SRL2 then the Sena 50s. I was looking at the older model of the helmet when I posted the first time.
    I apologize for my mistake. I was not aware there was a version of the Neotec 2 that did not come with the compartments for the SRL2.
    As I previously noted, it's EASY to modify an earlier Neotech 2 to utilize the SRL2. All you have to do is cut out a 1/2"x1/2" piece of plastic. If you have an earlier Neotech 2 and can't find an original SRL, don't let this stop you. The ONLY difference between the SRL and SRL2 is the addition of the optional extra mike (and that connector/plug). Other than that, they're identical in every respect.

Spyder Garage

Fitment to a particular helmet aside; Cardo Pack Talk Bold is a better unit. Sena used to put out some solid comm units but they have not had consistent quality across their product line in recent years.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

Plus 1 on the Cardo. And they will pair to any other manufacturer's(sena, lexin, uclear, etc.) unit so you can talk to any/everyone in your group. It has two channels, so you can shut off the group talk and just talk to your passenger with the push of a button. App. works seamlessly on my Iphone also.
    Here are some of the Cardo PackTalk BOLD W/JBL Headset features:

.Cardo partnered with JBL to deliver the best sound quality the market has ever heard.
    .Connect your unit to any Bluetooth headset of any substantial brand.
    .All the music you ever wanted streamed directly from your smartphone. Control, share and experience your favorite tune on the road.
    .Powerful, 40mm-wide, high-definition speakers and specially-tuned audio processor deliver a sound experience like no other.
    .Answer calls, make calls and control your mobile devices with a touch of a finger or the sound of your voice. No one will ever guess you are talking from your ride.
    .Up to 1600 meters (1Mi) in perfect condition, but will get you close to 1000 meters in real life conditions, About twice as much as the competition.
    .Built-in FM Radio with RDS for automatic selection of the strongest signal – whether you are in town, or in the middle of nowhere.
    .Merge any Bluetooth intercom with your mesh group conversation. Switch unit from DMC to Bluetooth mode to act as any high-end Bluetooth system.
    .Automatically adjusts your sound volume based on the outside ambient noise. Enjoy Vivaldi at full throttle. Don’t get deaf by AC/DC waiting for the lights turn.
    .Sophisticated algorithms make sure that all your audio sources – FM radio, music, mobile calls and intercom work together in parallel.
    .Share your play list or favorite radio station with your passenger. Enjoy the vibe together.
    .Get full control through one simple and intuitive app, but don’t take our word for it, just download Cardo Connect and find out for yourself.
    .Forgot to charge your unit? Running out of battery? Just plug your unit to a battery pack or your 12V charger and turn your unit on. It will charge while you ride.
    .Long lasting battery ensures your unit is available when you need it.
    .Merge any incoming phone call into the intercom conversation. With call to intercom no friend is ever out of range.
    .Tired of the chatter? Choose just one member of the group and enjoy an intimate conversation.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Wife and I use sena 30's in our 3/4 helmets on the bike, and have a set of 10's for our full face sled helmets, they work great for us!! And yes call Dave up and talk to him, he will steer you straight!! Good Luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Plus one on the Packtalk Bold. I've had several Senas, including an old 10, the one made for a Neotec original (forget model), a 20, and now a 30S. I ONLY have a 30S because I have a Harley, and their sound system only works with Harley branded Sena units. The newer Senas are pretty good, no huge complaints, but am nervous in the rain as I've had two headsets and one of the grip controllers die in the rain.

The Packtalk sounds better (with the JBL), and operated flawlessly. Voice commands worked pretty well. Very easy to use and great battery life. The only downside is if you ride in groups, the Sena is more prevalent so easier to set up group networks.
    2018 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...gaAk5oEALw_wcB

This guy talks about the Sena intercom in the helmet.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I have a pair of Sena 10 s which are very basic units which we used for less than 2 years.They will do exactly what you want and more.The batteries last all day and part of the next day no problem.They have their mounts which are super universal and have in original box with instructions.I have up graded to the 10c camera style and wife bought a new sena outrush helmet which has comm built in.I can sell you the 2 units I have for 150$,let me know but if you want new then you really should call Motorcycledave.com,I have gotten all my stuff from him,he is on CA time and may not be awake yet.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

The Sena 50S is on par with the Cardo Pactalk. Both have BT and/or Mesh. The 50S comes with similar (large) speakers to the JBLs in the Pactalk. Our riding group has yet to get the Senas and Cardos to work together over Mesh. Both have similar battery life, volume, and range.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
    I have a 2020 RT L and my wife and I would like to add communication to our helmets. We have Shoei Neotec 2 helmets (modular). We are not interested in connecting to BRP. We will only be communicating with each other listening to music on bluetooth phone. I have read Sena is a good choice but for every good review there is also a bad one lol. Also I have read that if your doing what we want to do you should get them "paired". I have no idea what that means. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated. I did a search and didn't find anything particular to modular helmets
    uclear used for years love them

Spyder Garage

Since rider > passenger and music are your major priorities, I wouldn't spend a lot of $$ on the latest and greatest. I have owned (3) different Sena varieties, and they have all been bullet proof. My latest is the Sena 5S, and I really like it. Much improved sound over prior SMH5FM and 10S units. Easy to use and Sena is probably one of the best with firmware upgrades. That said, with your $750 helmets, I wouldn't want to make mods for fitment. The 5S speakers are 40mm diameter, so I'd measure the diameter of your speaker pockets. I doubt depth is an issue, as the new Sena HD speakers are pretty thin. Another thing I like about the 5S is that it has a really small foot print for the device itself. Happy shopping
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Both the early and later versions of the Neotech 2 have cut outs for the SRL. Sena updated the SRL (now the SRL2) to accomodate the stick on mick on the full face version. The ONLY difference is a tiny section that needs to be removed on the early lids to accomodate the new plug.

Spyder Garage

With a modular flip up helmet is there any issues with the boom mic getting in the way of the helmet when it flips up or down? Also how can I tell if my helmet is the early or late version?

Spyder Garage

I like Sena and wife and I use them. When they say pair them that is done by pushing a button on each head set at the same time and you will see the light on them change color, that will mean they are paired. easy as that. The Sena 50s come in sets and top of the line head set, if you can that would be what I recommend buy once and be done. https://www.sena.com/product/50s
    Will the 50s fit in my helmets with no modifications or will I have to do some cutting?

Spyder Garage

How can I tell which model helmet I have?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With a modular flip up helmet is there any issues with the boom mic getting in the way of the helmet when it flips up or down? Also how can I tell if my helmet is the early or late version?
    Will the 50s fit in my helmets with no modifications or will I have to do some cutting?
    How can I tell which model helmet I have?
    Yes and no. If you just pull the chin bar down, then yes. It only takes a second to tuck the mike against your face, close the lid then push it away.

In all likelihood, you'll have to do some cutting. The channels on the Neotech 2 were made specifically for the SRL/SRL2.

There's a date tag somewhere in the helmet but I don't remember what date became "late". Or, just in front of the right speaker cutout, see if the channel (for the boom mike cable) is straight or if it's wider next to the speaker cutout. If it's wider, it's a later model.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Again, the SRL and the SRL2 are IDENTICAL other than the addition of the plug to allow the option of either the modular boom mike or the full face stick on mike. The SRL is still available for the early model Neotech 2 helmets.