Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Is this a warranty issue? Mine goes in for its 3000 mile service in April or so.
    2021 RT Limited in Marsala Red & chrome (9/20)
    2006 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - Black Cherry
    2003 Suzuki Volusia - Black w/ Gold
    1973 Honda CL350 - Hawaiian Blue

2021 Limited , MArsala Red & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    One to many beers so I got 2 p's��
    I got to pee too after too many beers.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike0123 View Post
    Is this a warranty issue? Mine goes in for its 3000 mile service in April or so.
    I was just fixing to ask that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jcummins View Post
    I was just fixing to ask that.
    No. It's not a warranty issue. There's nothing wrong with the current sprocket. The new one is just an updated/improved version.

Spyder Garage

Mine was covered under the Best warranty.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine was covered under the Best warranty.
    Glad to hear you got one over on BuRP. They've gotten one over on most of us at one time or another.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMB View Post
    I won't replace it till the beginning of March so I don't have anything to compare it to. But this is the redesigned one hope it's quieter!
    My hope is that its better made. '17 RTL is going in for its 3rd front sprocket - glad the red dust flags there is an issue and not just strip on the spline in the middle of nowhere.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    My hope is that its better made. '17 RTL is going in for its 3rd front sprocket - glad the red dust flags there is an issue and not just strip on the spline in the middle of nowhere.
    I had to request the new sprocket, so make sure you do as the previous one is still out there. I don't know if the new sprocket is any better, but we know the previous one is not!

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I used moly paste. Honda 77 assembly lube. 60% moly.
    Good choice. Actually, MolyKote 77 is what that is and a few others are the same product just rebranded. Any good high quality moly paste with high moly content is good. Note your mileage when installed. Remove and inspect at the mid point to your 28K major maintenance. Accomplish a second pulley inspection and relube at 28k and reevaluate the pulley inspection and lube intervals.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    After seeing the photos, my guess is they applied surface treatment to the wear surfaces. This may quiet the belt noise and will help but not prevent spline wear. The reason for the paint may either be to identify this from earlier versions or possibly the surface treatment had to be applied to bare steel and offers no corrosion protection. Therefore they used a white paint this time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " SLOPPED " ...?????? Thanks .... Mike
    There are varyations of a saying:

“It is a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word.”
    -- Andrew Jackson

"I have nothing but contempt for anyone who can spell a word only one way."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

“Anyone who can only think of one way to spell a word obviously lacks imagination.”
    -- Mark Twain

I think you get the gist.

I am constantly amazed (amused?) by the mis-spelled words and other incorrect phrases I see on various forums. On another forum that I frequent, I have met many of the members. Most are well-educated and well-spoken, but the words they put on my screen certainly do not convey that image. Yes, there are "fat-fingered" mistakes where a wrong letter is pressed (or omitted), but when you see entire words or phrases that are incorrect, it only leads to wonder. Fortunately, since I have met them, I can see the twinkle in their eye and hear the drawl in their voice as I read their words, I actually know and understand what they are writing. I learned to spell correctly well before third grade, when the spelling bees started, and I try my best, but mistakes do happen. I have also learned to not criticize others for their mis-spellings, unless it creates so much confusion that it the question can not be answered. From my viewpoint, PW2013STL might be the best of life-long friends and you are only ribbing him, but there is no way for me to tell. Emojis can help a bit, but with a limited selection, ...

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I have dyslexic fingers and hands that don't type what my mind is thinking. Yet, I am one of those (fairly) well educated whom Steve W. speaks of. Thare I go, ending a sentence with a proposition. That's the brakes!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMB View Post
    I won't replace it till the beginning of March so I don't have anything to compare it to. But this is the redesigned one hope it's quieter!
    I received my new front pulley today after waiting 33 days for it to show up.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    I received my new front pulley today after waiting 33 days for it to show up.
    Is is white?

Spyder Garage

I'm out of the loop on this one, why is everyone replacing the pulley? Is it a noise or a spline issue and what years are effected?
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Both. I'm replacing mine because of the noise not because of any spline problems on a 2020 RTL.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had to request the new sprocket, so make sure you do as the previous one is still out there. I don't know if the new sprocket is any better, but we know the previous one is not!
    Thanks PW ... luckily for me mine came with 3 yr warranty - there are times a curse the longer warranty and times I am soooo thankfull for it.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa103 View Post
    I'm out of the loop on this one, why is everyone replacing the pulley? Is it a noise or a spline issue and what years are effected?
    From my own circle of owners and the dealerships, the front sprocket begins to produce red dust indicating the spline is wearing out due to movement on models 2014 thru to 2020 RT's and F3's.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

For us this is the first one with the red dust issue. Our 2014 RT we traded with 84,000 miles in for this 2018 F3 did not have it. My 2015 F3 with over 50,000 miles did not have that issue. I traded that for the 2020 RT, no red dust (yet), but does have the noise issue. The noise dosn't bother me so I'm not going to replace it for that reason.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Any updates on the noise issue? Does the new pully help or eliminate it?
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I had the dealer replace under warranty and now it is nice and quiet. Last fall on an hour ride the thing gave me a headache. I knew it wasn't right and this forum helped figure that out. Hope your works as well as mine does.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I undertook a long trip a few weeks ago with friends on different bikes - approx 2000 kms

On the run home the 17 RTL developed a rattle which I blamed on my belt dampener. A few of s rattled it and it sounded like the source.

Two days after returning I lifted the RT and duplicated the noise, it turns out I either have a very loose front sprocket or there is a loud rattle coming from whatever is behind the front sprocket. I called the dealership booked it and left it on the hoist - I dont have the temperament to get it down until it goes to the dealership.

Anyone got any hints from experience what it may be?
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

That'll be the sprocket! :gaah

Out of all the reports of issues in that area reported here (and there have been quite a few! ) and those I've seen locally, I think there's only been TWO (2) that ended up being anything but the sprocket (both reported here!) and IIRC, ONE (1) of those was probably just a case of 'to be sure, to be sure' over-kill!

Good Luck getting it sorted. Hope it goes well & quickly too!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Got my 2021 RT last week and boy is it fun. What a nice machine. I do have some whining noise between 45-50 and having read the history here I took in the information from you folks on the revised from sprocket. Mine was an "early 21". I gave the warranty person the pictures of the new sprocket, part numbers and a few quotes from here including the BRP info stating the two post September changes. The added insulation is not an issue for me, only the sprocket.

Dealer seemed pretty positive about getting BRP to cover this. If not will insist dealer should do it anyway. Will find out next week. If the whine remains may get the BRP listed belt tensioner which even BRP claim quiets the drive train. This whine is not something that is overpowering or upsetting, I just want to get this done prior to the 3,000 mi service as I have a 10 day trip planned in June. In the meantime my XT will be hardwired, the two wind deflectors installed and the shakedown miles complete. I might add the Lamonster riser. Thanks for all the input on this and other matters here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by milryder View Post
    Got my 2021 RT last week and boy is it fun. What a nice machine. I do have some whining noise between 45-50 and having read the history here I took in the information from you folks on the revised from sprocket. Mine was an "early 21". I gave the warranty person the pictures of the new sprocket, part numbers and a few quotes from here including the BRP info stating the two post September changes. The added insulation is not an issue for me, only the sprocket.

Dealer seemed pretty positive about getting BRP to cover this. If not will insist dealer should do it anyway. Will find out next week. If the whine remains may get the BRP listed belt tensioner which even BRP claim quiets the drive train. This whine is not something that is overpowering or upsetting, I just want to get this done prior to the 3,000 mi service as I have a 10 day trip planned in June. In the meantime my XT will be hardwired, the two wind deflectors installed and the shakedown miles complete. I might add the Lamonster riser. Thanks for all the input on this and other matters here.
    If you get the belt tensioner get it from Lamonster, same tensioner but better bearings/wheel and will last longer.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue