Spyder Garage

Default Make Removing 2020 RTL Trunk easier!

I had a real hard time turning the LinQ connector at the bottom of the trunk. I used an adjustable wrench to get good hold on the turning handle to open it. I saw someone who used the rubber end of needle nose pliers to turn the switch. I also removed the rear seat to make the process easier (my trunk seemed to hit it when lifted). I then could not get it relocked. I lifted the trunk up and adjusted the LinQ connector in the middle. At the end is a locking nut; I loosened the nut a half turn and now it works great.

I hope this helps, the Bike is new to me so I love to read the How to to learn more about the bike

ron w
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-20-2021 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Fixed title & Trunk vs Truck. ;-)

Spyder Garage

OHHH....................................
    Thanks!!
    I had a real hard time also.
    In all the videos, the trunk removed with no tools at all.
    I just thought it would loosen with use.
    I'm glad there's an adjustment I didn't know of.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's sort of an adjustment. The nut on the bottom of the top case/LinQ plate/cover is a Nyloc nut. You can loosen it to the point where the nylon part of the nut just barely touches the threads on the bolt. I'd be careful how much you loosen it. If you accidentally loosen it a tiny bit too much and miss the nylon, it'll vibrate off. Then you'll have to find it. Best of luck with that. I have a base model but added the LinQ plate to add my Shad top case. I had to back off the nut about a 1/2 turn. Even with a pair of pliers, it's still almost impossible to lock/unlock. I'd say it's a good design with a poor execution. You want it tight but blessed Jesus, you've got to be able to lock/unlock the thing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warfels View Post
    I had a real hard time turning the LinQ connector at the bottom of the trunk. I used an adjustable wrench to get good hold on the turning handle to open it. I saw someone who used the rubber end of needle nose pliers to turn the switch. I also removed the rear seat to make the process easier (my trunk seemed to hit it when lifted). I then could not get it relocked. I lifted the trunk up and adjusted the LinQ connector in the middle. At the end is a locking nut; I loosened the nut a half turn and now it works great.

I hope this helps, the Bike is need to me so I love to read the How to to learn more about the bike

ron w
    Just picked up a new 2021 RTL and inside the top case was a handy "wrench" for case removal.

SpyderTopCaseWrench.jpg
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Metallic (red)

Spyder Garage

I just ordered one of these from BMP... they had a hell of a time coming up with a part number. In Canada it's going to cost 8 or 9 dollars... which is super cheap I'd say.
    Once I have the part in hand I will post the part number.
    Good to see that Can-Am is listening to its owners!!

BTW... I was the one with the needle nose video... That worked well... till now!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-20-2021 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Can-Am

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garbal View Post
    I just ordered one of these from BMP... they had a hell of a time coming up with a part number. In Canada it's going to cost 8 or 9 dollars... which is super cheap I'd say.
    Once I have the part in hand I will post the part number.
    Good to see that Can-Am is listening to its owners!!

BTW... I was the one with the needle nose video... That worked well... till now!
    I hope you find that part. We just purchased a 2021 StS and it came with that tool. Since I also have a 2020 RT I asked the dealer about getting me one and he said if BRP ever offers them he plans on ordering a bunch.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I made a tool from a 1 1/2" Female S x FPT PVC adapter. Just cut two large slots across the slip end; cost me $1.67.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderdave View Post
    I made a tool from a 1 1/2" Female S x FPT PVC adapter. Just cut two large slots across the slip end; cost me $1.67.
    Necessity is the mother of invention! Well done! You should post a picture of that.

Spyder Garage

OK... Finally got it... Part number is 529000147 It's called "TOOL LINQ"

Tried it out and it works perfectly! Beats trying to knuckle bust your finger tips!

20210925_212949.jpg
    20210925_212957.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I hope you find that part. We just purchased a 2021 StS and it came with that tool. Since I also have a 2020 RT I asked the dealer about getting me one and he said if BRP ever offers them he plans on ordering a bunch.
    Part Number 529000147 It's called a "TOOL LINQ"

Spyder Garage

I found one on Ebay for about $11. I couldn't find the item on the can-am site. I haven't taken my top case off yet. I tried to unlock it by hand and found that it was a little more difficult than expected.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

If you have an adjustable wrench just adjust it to fit with the handle pointed up, then insert a screwdriver into the round hole in the handle to open it with.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garbal View Post
    OK... Finally got it... Part number is 529000147 It's called "TOOL LINQ"

Tried it out and it works perfectly! Beats trying to knuckle bust your finger tips!

20210925_212949.jpg
    20210925_212957.jpg
    Can't find hide nor hair of this on the BRP website. Where did you order this ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Can't find hide nor hair of this on the BRP website. Where did you order this ?
    I sent you a pm with info.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue