Spyder Garage

Default Tire water displacement?

Awhile back, Peter Aawen wrote that when mounting front tires, orient them so they force water out and away from the rear tire. Makes sense, right?
    My question is what if you are using Federal Formosa FZ-01 tires that are uni-directional?
    What say you, Peter (or Mike, or any other tire gurus)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quartermain View Post
    Awhile back, Peter Aawen wrote that when mounting front tires, orient them so they force water out and away from the rear tire. Makes sense, right?
    My question is what if you are using Federal Formosa FZ-01 tires that are uni-directional?
    What say you, Peter (or Mike, or any other tire gurus)
    This is a VERY interesting question thank you for it. .... All tires are designed to " throw " or " dispel " water or anything else they might pick up..... and uni-directional tires will do this also ..... However a NON-directional tire will do it better ..... I recommend you go to tire rack.com and look at the " wet traction " stats for the the Vredestein Q-5. Then find a uni-directional tire and compare the numbers .... the Q-5 kills the competition. ..... the TireRack doesn't sell Federals..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I had Kendas and now I have Vredsteins up front and every time Ive been in heavy rain at higher speeds I would look down at the spray of water coming off the tires and see that it was a lot but it was always going straight back.I cant imagine that there is a tire out there that would be able to spray water to the left or right.Even if it did do that I cant see it flooding the the center area to the point of causing the rear to hydroplane.When I see a lot of spray I just slow down a little and watch for puddles.I know people have had some bad experiences with these things in the rain but I only ever had it float one time which spooked me a little but the bike just didnt care.thats one of the reasons we ride these things,for the safety.years ago I rode a 1100 Suzuki cross country and it rained for like 1500 miles straight and that rear tire picked up and floated a hundred times,but still it went straight.Lets hear your hydroplane stories.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    I had Kendas and now I have Vredsteins up front and every time Ive been in heavy rain at higher speeds I would look down at the spray of water coming off the tires and see that it was a lot but it was always going straight back.I cant imagine that there is a tire out there that would be able to spray water to the left or right.Even if it did do that I cant see it flooding the the center area to the point of causing the rear to hydroplane.When I see a lot of spray I just slow down a little and watch for puddles.I know people have had some bad experiences with these things in the rain but I only ever had it float one time which spooked me a little but the bike just didnt care.thats one of the reasons we ride these things,for the safety.years ago I rode a 1100 Suzuki cross country and it rained for like 1500 miles straight and that rear tire picked up and floated a hundred times,but still it went straight.Lets hear your hydroplane stories.
    I’m thinking displacing the water from the CONTACT PATCH of the tire with the pavement.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

i recently bought a 2017 F3-S with 3700km on it. I read in the owners manual that care should be taken in heavy rain because of the risk of aquaplaning (or hydroplaning). This makes sense because the load on the front tyres of a Spyder is less than half of that on a car tyre, about the same as a motorcycle tyre, but with more area.
    I recently bought a spare pair of front wheels. From the tyres available here in Australia in the 175/55R15 size, two of the highest performance tyres are the Bridgestone Potenza and the Continental Contact2. Continental states that the Contact2 has superior resistance to aquaplaning. I know this is just marketing blurb, but the tyre does have large and deep grooves which appear to support this claim, so I have ordered a pair.
    Looking at the stock Kendas, they have large sipes around the circumference and also diagonally at an angle to expel water outwards when rotating in the direction indicated on the sidewall. It looks to me that resistance to aquaplaning is a major design consideration for these tyres, a reason for BRP to specify them, even if they are not great in other conditions.
    Unlike Spyder01 I have not yet ridden my Spyder in heavy rain to see if the Kendas actually displace water sideways.
    I have, on motorcycles, twice lost the back end in heavy rain due to aquaplaning. Not puddles, but heavy rain on a flat straight road, overtaking a slower vehicle, each time the back end oscillating from side to side. The first time, about 13 years ago, it recovered, oscillated again and recovered again. I stopped to change my underwear. Two years ago, it oscillated a few times than went out to the right, leaving me sliding down the road at over 100km/h. Both times the rear tyres were near new 190/50 17 tyres on a Triumph Speed Triple/Daytona 955i. Pilot Road 4 last time. I no longer exceed 100km/h in heavy rain.
    IanB

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    i recently bought a 2017 F3-S with 3700km on it. I read in the owners manual that care should be taken in heavy rain because of the risk of aquaplaning (or hydroplaning). This makes sense because the load on the front tyres of a Spyder is less than half of that on a car tyre, about the same as a motorcycle tyre, but with more area.
    I recently bought a spare pair of front wheels. From the tyres available here in Australia in the 175/55R15 size, two of the highest performance tyres are the Bridgestone Potenza and the Continental Contact2. Continental states that the Contact2 has superior resistance to aquaplaning. I know this is just marketing blurb, but the tyre does have large and deep grooves which appear to support this claim, so I have ordered a pair.
    Looking at the stock Kendas, they have large sipes around the circumference and also diagonally at an angle to expel water outwards when rotating in the direction indicated on the sidewall. It looks to me that resistance to aquaplaning is a major design consideration for these tyres, a reason for BRP to specify them, even if they are not great in other conditions.
    Unlike Spyder01 I have not yet ridden my Spyder in heavy rain to see if the Kendas actually displace water sideways.
    I have, on motorcycles, twice lost the back end in heavy rain due to aquaplaning. Not puddles, but heavy rain on a flat straight road, overtaking a slower vehicle, each time the back end oscillating from side to side. The first time, about 13 years ago, it recovered, oscillated again and recovered again. I stopped to change my underwear. Two years ago, it oscillated a few times than went out to the right, leaving me sliding down the road at over 100km/h. Both times the rear tyres were near new 190/50 17 tyres on a Triumph Speed Triple/Daytona 955i. Pilot Road 4 last time. I no longer exceed 100km/h in heavy rain.
    IanB
    The Spyder IS prone to hydroplaning. I had it happen to me twice while in AK. Driving through more than an inch of water at speeds over 50 mph is an invitation to hydroplane. Studded tire use in winter made ditches in all the roads, which would fill up with rain. Both times the "nanny" saved my bacon.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    IanB
    Some info on " Aquaplaning " .... more often than you might think .... water alone is not always the culprit ... what was on the " road surface " priot to the RAIN - WAS .... Petroleum products will detach from the road and rise and then float after rain .... I have driven in the 70 mph range on my Spyders and not " aqua-planed " .... but have a few times at 30mph .... it's all a crap shoot .... I used to ride mostly Gold Wings and RAIN terrified me .... that feeling stopped after I switched to Spyders .... good luck .... Mike