Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Interesting Read

A New Type of Car Which Should Be Great for Motorcycling.
    Photo from Michael Campos, taken by Clint Graves. Highway 1, Marin county, CA.
    Share your photos here »
    This is a short essay about what the Apple company might be planning for their Next Big Thing. First, please note I am not an Apple 'fan-boy’ and have not spent even one second doing any actual research on this, so what follows is mostly made-up storytelling.

I was recently daydreaming (thanks pandemic!) when a bunch of ideas came into my imagination sort of all-at-once and suddenly I thought I might somehow be able to guess what this new Apple car might be like, why it would be good for motorcycling and about when it might be introduced. Maybe sometime in 2022. The background for this fantasy starts with how it is semi-generally known that for the second time in the last decade Apple is working on creating a car. Based on their history it would need to be revolutionary.

Projecting forward from that, here are five background pieces:

Apple historically likes to mashup existing technologies to create entirely new kinds of consumer products. Co-founder Steve Jobs was an intuitive genius at this, and his goal was to create spectacular new things. This still is a core part of the company culture, and at the moment Apple has huge money available for developing complex new things. Creating an all-new kind of car would certainly be that.
    A few years ago (five?), Apple spent a lot of time and money researching and developing an Apple car then suddenly shut the entire program down. The impulse to make cars has been within the company for some time. The first time around maybe they didn’t quite fathom the kind of mashup needed, or they felt the timing was wrong, but for a bunch of reasons maybe now they believe they do know. It feels to me like this might be the right time. Timing is everything.
    The incredible success of Tesla has completely and unequivocally validated consumer acceptance of, and interest in, revolutionary kinds of electric cars.
    Three wheeled road vehicles have never been widely popular and thus have never been as intensely regulated as four wheeled vehicles (safety, emissions, everything), but Polaris and a few others have taken advantage of this quasi-loophole by successfully producing a variety of recreational road-legal three wheelers.
    Apple has long enjoyed strong IP, industrial, political and manufacturing trade relationships in China, and China has a great political and economic interest in dominating the world’s technological future.

The result of the above (and other items not listed) is that Apple may fairly soon enter American and world car markets with a very advanced electric powered three-wheeled car mostly made in China. This all-new vehicle should be just as sophisticated, fast, comfortable, fully self-driving and ‘cool' as a Tesla but in some intentional ways it should also be even more revolutionary. It could be slightly less costly, though not a lot, because its content, innovation and feature levels would be substantial. It should probably seat four, have about a 200-mile range and a top speed of around 100 miles per hour.

The CEO of Apple today is one of the world’s best logistics people. Co-ordinating the near-instant roll-out of an all-new type of car would be a perfect make-a-dent-in-the-universe assignment for such a logistical genius. Right now through some shell company having no obvious association with Apple they may already be quietly buying and leasing locations for a bunch of wholly Apple-owned car stores, and also to support all the recharging infrastructure which would be needed.

Apple’s three-wheel cars would need to look and work a lot better than all prior three-wheel cars. The full Apple-Bauhaus design ethos would be applied, so much so the first examples appearing in teaser marketing would be odds-on favorites to be painted (and molded) in white. And even though crash-testing is not required for three wheelers, these cars should be fully air bagged. Some impressive videos of how well the vehicle performs in crashes should be available, for anyone curious enough dig a little.

What does any of this have to do with Aerostich and motorcycles? Only one thing, but it’s a ginormously huge thing: Any three wheeled Apple car probably would be engineered to lean into corners. It would ride on three regular profile car tires which would always stay more-or-less perpendicular to the road, but it would also contain a Segway-like balance chip connected to an instantly adjustable suspension which would automatically tilt the body and its ‘skateboard’ chassis far enough during cornering so everyone riding inside would feel safe and comfortable. Maybe as much as fifteen or twenty degrees if one was really hurrying.

Imagine witnessing an Apple car weaving through traffic and taking corners by leaning just like a slaloming skier or motorcycle rider. That’s the key. Almost everyone seeing this from their conventional vehicle should want to experience the feel of that ride. Thus, it’s easy to project Apple’s pioneering corner-leaners instantly becoming a cult-curiosity and then fairly quickly transitioning into an “I want one of those” thing. Mainstreaming should soon follow. These fully autonomous-driving electric three wheeled leaners would inferentially and by example teach almost everyone to accept (and possibly enjoy) a fundamental reason why we love our inherently unstable motorcycles and bicycles.

Apple’s revolutionary leaning three wheeled cars, if they happen, and if they’re as successful as many other recent Apple products, would help normalize leaning into turns, and this (normalization, finally!) should lead to even more motorcycle and bicycle riders. I wonder if Jay Leno will have the opportunity to purchase the first one.

Ok, now I’m done. Thoughts welcome.

PS – Important analogy: 3.2 beer is very nice, but most beer drinkers prefer the full-strength stuff. I’d probably be among those who would want to own a snazzy Apple self-driving electric ‘leaner’, but no matter how cool that ride (and everything else about it) might be, I know I’ll continue to prefer leaning into corners full-strength. By riding there.

PPS – This was typed on an Apple MacBook Air.

- Mr. Subjective, 1-15-21
    Read Post on Our Blog »
    TODAY ONLY: 21 ITEMS, 21% OFF!
    January 21, 2021: Here are some of the items on sale now!*

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah great, and you'd only be able to use Apple helmets, Apple boots, Apple gloves, etc. Add-on or after market
    parts would be non-existent. You'll be limited to using the Apple charging system. And it will cost 2 or 3 times what
    a normal vehicle would, and you'd be expected to get super excited about any new models, which you'd have to buy
    even though your old model is only 6 months old. And of course the batteries would be only replaceable after shipping
    the vehicle back to Apple.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Yeah great, and you'd only be able to use Apple helmets, Apple boots, Apple gloves, etc. Add-on or after market
    parts would be non-existent. You'll be limited to using the Apple charging system. And it will cost 2 or 3 times what
    a normal vehicle would, and you'd be expected to get super excited about any new models, which you'd have to buy
    even though your old model is only 6 months old. And of course the batteries would be only replaceable after shipping
    the vehicle back to Apple.
    If only there were an alternative to Apple, of which there are several in every one of the very few markets in which Apple makes products.

The nice thing is that I can use all sorts of headsets, cases and charges with my Apple phones and tablets, and my Apple computers also work with all sorts of other brands of accessories using common connectors. And, in the end, they are a better value at a higher cost. If my phone didn't have so much battery life, and wasn't so easy to charge, it might be important to be able to snap in a battery, but I prefer their design decisions.

And, I can't think of another set of products where so many companies make so many different accessories.

So, yes, when they announce something new, I am excited to see features that I will eventually own when I replace my current devices several years down the line. In the interim, I am happy to know they receive frequent updates for as long as my current hardware can support the new features.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bu#$sh%t alert

''The incredible success of Tesla has completely and unequivocally validated consumer acceptance of, and interest in, revolutionary kinds of electric cars.''

Like Tesla I'm sure Apple vehicles will run at a loss and sell green credits to cover it's ass.
    These guys suck on the teat of the taxpayer. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

If it breaks down, just turn it off, get out, then get back in and restart.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    If it breaks down, just turn it off, get out, then get back in and restart.
    Sounds like what I had to do with my Spyder a few times, except sometimes I had to click my heels 3 times.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Sounds like what I had to do with my Spyder a few times, except sometimes I had to click my heels 3 times.
    That's one way to get back home. I think I leaned that from a movie.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome