Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    there you go.....probably so........... so you wouldn't do any "let off the gas" and just coast be cause that would be engine braking and hurting system?
    Sure I do it all the time, usually downshift coming up to a stop. Like I said it's an old husbands tale. People used to do it as a matter of course
    because old time brakes were usually awful, and not very reliable. When brakes became actually capable of stopping a vehicle in a short distance,
    guys started saying brake pads are cheaper than engine parts.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

I would think that if downshifting for engine braking would do damage, Can Am wouldn't be recommending that you do just that to control vehicle speed on hills. It's right there in the operators manual under advanced riding street skills.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Don't know about your Spyder Jet, but when I down shift(and I always do when coming to a stop) my Spyder seams to glide for a while and doesn't downshift immediately. Thinking this might be to protect the engine. My Valkyrie had an immediate response when I downshifted.
    Does yours do the same?
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    Don't know about your Spyder Jet, but when I down shift(and I always do when coming to a stop) my Spyder seams to glide for a while and doesn't downshift immediately. Thinking this might be to protect the engine. My Valkyrie had an immediate response when I downshifted.
    Does yours do the same?
    I'd say there is a slight difference compared to my previous 2015 RTL. The earlier one would grab up so firmly that you had to brace for it. The 2020 does seem to take a fraction longer. Perhaps they tweaked the clutch pressure timing on downshifting to not be so harsh?
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red