Spyder Garage

Default 2019 RT Catches on Fire

I haven't seen this posted yet so I thought I would share.

It would be nice to know what was the cause after the investigation.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/ac...FGNRZ2ZLYK2JQ/
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

If you read the article carefully you will most likely come to the conclusion of much ado about nothing.

An op-ed by a reporter trying to make a name for himself.

It covers the information about the known fires back in 2013. This was the year that most of the "five" fires occurred. This was because BRP tried to introduce the 1330/3 a year before it was ready. The bikes were modified for the new 1330 engine in 2013 but the engine was a no go. They stuffed 998's into them creating a heat problem which later resulted in at least five fires.

Spyder Ann had of those fires and it happened on main street Las Vegas. It made the national news. It took about a year, but BRP came out with an air scoop fix which apparantly solved the fire issue.

The most recent one listed here has nothing to do with that main fire issue. Fires can and do happen to any vehicle. It does not mean that the whole brand is affected or unsafe. Fires since the 2013 issue are IMO very rare for the product.

The op ed is trying to put 2 and 2 together to make a case that BRP Spyders are fire hazards. My take on this...FAIL, FAIL, FAIL.

Hopefully, we will get an update as to the cause. But I am not going to sell my two spyders because they are a fire hazard for sure.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-20-2021 at 10:56 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

yes, this story was done by a Charlotte,NC TV station. don't know if owner is a member here?
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post

Well,1st off- Thank God the guy is OK. It was all terrible, but a Son could have lost his Father.

Spyder was a year old. Man. What a shame.
    And having to stand there & watch it... burn. down. to the frame...

I’m with you ARtravler, News was really “selling” that news. And I ain’t buying.
    This could happen anytime, to any vehicle, and the odds of this are astronomical.

Decades ago, I saw a car parked (on a city street) across from the diner I was in, randomly catch on fire. It happens.
    2019 SpYder F3-T
    +Lamonster Mirror Locks AMEN! | +Lamonster FogLights | +MadStad Windsheild | +Dual A-Arm Running Lights
    +Spyclops LED Light | +SpyderExtras Grille | +TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors
    ...and what dreams may come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

People make a big deal out of nothing usually. I used to be big into Pontiac Fieros (I've owned 6 of them). When they first came out in '84, Pontiac put the incorrect dipstick in about 800 of them causing owners to think they had the right amount of oil when in fact they were low. This caused (9) NINE engine related fires as the engine would sieze causing the piston to blow out the side of the block thus causing oil to cover the exhaust. Because NINE (out of 80k?) '84 (ONLY 1984s) Fieros caught fire, the press deemed ALL Fieros to be fire prone and death traps. (The Fiero happens to be one of the safest cars ever. In the crash tests of the day, it generally tied with Volvo.) All over NINE fires. This is one of the reasons why I rarely believe anything the "news" has to offer.

Spyder Garage

Thankfully this guy escaped injury and will collect on the insurance payout. I have to agree with the general consensus that vehicle fires are going to happen. Fires that effected vehicles from earlier years don't really amount to a hill of beans. How many fires concerning the 2019 model have been reported?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    How many fires concerning the 2019 model have been reported?
    So far? One.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    People make a big deal out of nothing usually. I used to be big into Pontiac Fieros (I've owned 6 of them). When they first came out in '84, Pontiac put the incorrect dipstick in about 800 of them causing owners to think they had the right amount of oil when in fact they were low. This caused (9) NINE engine related fires as the engine would sieze causing the piston to blow out the side of the block thus causing oil to cover the exhaust. Because NINE (out of 80k?) '84 (ONLY 1984s) Fieros caught fire, the press deemed ALL Fieros to be fire prone and death traps. (The Fiero happens to be one of the safest cars ever. In the crash tests of the day, it generally tied with Volvo.) All over NINE fires. This is one of the reasons why I rarely believe anything the "news" has to offer.
    And the Chevrolet Corvair got the same rap in my opinion.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    And the Chevrolet Corvair got the same rap in my opinion.
    No disagreement, there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    If you read the article carefully you will most likely come to the conclusion of much ado about nothing.

An op-ed by a reporter trying to make a name for theirself.

It covers the information about the known fires back in 2013. This was the year that most of the "five" fires occurred. This was because BRP tried to introduce the 1330/3 a year before it was ready. The bikes were modified for the new 1330 engine in 2013 but the engine was a no go. They stuffed 998's into them creating a heat problem which later resulted in at least five fires.

Spyder Ann had of those fires and it happened on main street Las Vegas. It made the national news. It took about a year, but BRP came out with an air scoop fix which apparantly solved the fire issue.

The most recent one listed here has nothing to do with that main fire issue. Fires can and do happen to any vehicle. It does not mean that the whole brand is affected or unsafe. Fires since the 2013 issue are IMO very rare for the product.

The op ed is trying to put 2 and 2 together to make a case that BRP Spyders are fire hazards. My take on this...FAIL, FAIL, FAIL.

Hopefully, we will get an update as to the cause. But I am not going to sell my two spyders because they are a fire hazard for sure.

I remember the fires on the earlier model Spyders and personally know people who have had their Spyders catch on fire. I haven't heard of any Spyders catching on fire in a while and was sharing the information.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    I haven't seen this posted yet so I thought I would share.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/ac...FGNRZ2ZLYK2JQ/
    I appreciate the heads up

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Considering the guy was stopped when the fire started, it could be he dropped his lit cigarette. If so I doubt we'll ever
    hear the real reason it caught fire. It doesn't say how long after he stopped that the fire started.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

A lot of things can create a fire. Aftermarket (DIY) wiring. Especially for heated gear. Not that it is difficult to do it right. But if a person is sloppy, or doesn't know what they are doing. It can end up like this. Something as simple as having a fuse blow several times, so you put in a higher amperage fuse to solve the problem. We need more information before we can condemn the machine. A decent fire investigator can usually figure out where the fire started and why. Even when the vehicle burns to the ground. But without some DOT interest, this will probably not happen. An insurance company will not want to spend the money for a claim that they have no reason not to pay.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-20-2021 at 05:39 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Remember the Ford Pinto? "Supposedly"if it just got a love tap to the rear end it would go up in flames ........
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeyes View Post
    Remember the Ford Pinto? "Supposedly"if it just got a love tap to the rear end it would go up in flames ........
    It was because some idiot engineer decided to put the fuel tank directly in front of the rear bumper and nobody added a fuel tank liner. If you got hit in the rear, it would likely split the fuel tank. The fuel would go all over the hot exhaust and/or any other hot or electrified parts on the Pinto or the car that hit it. BOOM! Stupid design. Better after a year or so once they added a fuel tank liner but the damage had been done.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Also there were long bolts that protruded toward the rear right in front of the gas tank. So even if the hit wasn't hard enough to rupture
    the fuel tank, it could get shoved into those bolts and instant fuel leak. Not one of Ford's "Better Ideas".
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default oh man

wow
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

Changed my mind....
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-21-2021 at 02:27 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...