Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    .......and not just in the US, Brucie. Sure, the vast majority of truck drivers are good, courteous drivers, especially if you extend courtesy to them, but there are an ever increasing number of ratbags appearing.

Pete
    I gotta with this - only it's something that's not just restricted to truck drivers!! It seems to be becoming more prevalent amongst ALL types of road users, including the increasing numbers of apparently suicidal cyclists who try to force their way (right-of or not withstanding! ) regardless of the fact that due to the so far immutable laws of physics, in any potential collision, they will ALWAYS lose!

Like Steve said:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    It's easy to remember, ... "it's not the right of way, it's the right of WEIGHT".
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Courtesy is a two way street!!

What do you do if you approach a 4 way stop and you see that there is a semi-truck with turn signals on indicating that they want to turn towards you? Answer, stop way back from the stop sign to allow the trucker plenty of room to make the turn. You might even get a friendly wave!

What do you do after passing a truck? Answer, allow plenty of room between you and the truck before cutting back into the trucks lane.

What do you do if you are merging onto a highway and a truck is in the outside lane where you are headed? Do you hit the gas and hope to get in front of the truck or back off a bit and allow the truck to be ahead of you. Answer, you are safer off by allowing the truck to go ahead and not having the driver to hit the brakes.

I could come up with many other question/answers but I will let you think of many more.

No I am not a trucker nor ever have been!

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Always yield the right of way to the vehicle that weighs 10x or more than you. And takes a lot of room to stop.
    2020 RT-L , Lamonster brake pedal riser Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Might makes right? Submit to the bully?
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In my original post, the truck was not moving. He was at a STOP SIGN. I was travelling on the highway (not the Freeway, just a 2 lane main road) and he looked in both directions and then pulled out. I might add that in addition to my LED highbeams on, I was wearing a high viz. safety vest and my RTS colour is cognac, so it does NOT blend in with the background. There was no obstructions to impair the truckers vision, and NO, I’m not picking on truckers per se, but on the so called professionalism that they now seem to receive. As far as I know, I had the right-of-way as he was at a stop sign and if I had been the police, would have been remiss in my duty if I did not ticket him.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    In my original post, the truck was not moving. He was at a STOP SIGN. I was travelling on the highway (not the Freeway, just a 2 lane main road) and he looked in both directions and then pulled out. I might add that in addition to my LED highbeams on, I was wearing a high viz. safety vest and my RTS colour is cognac, so it does NOT blend in with the background. There was no obstructions to impair the truckers vision, and NO, I’m not picking on truckers per se, but on the so called professionalism that they now seem to receive. As far as I know, I had the right-of-way as he was at a stop sign and if I had been the police, would have been remiss in my duty if I did not ticket him.
    Here are a couple of comments I've made in previous discussions about this issue.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1549039

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1408350

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Has anyone noticed that there seems to be an influx of NOT PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS. It used to be that the semi truckers were “professionals” but now it seems that their only concern is to get from point A to point B in the shortest possible time, and to heck with the other highway users. I was out for a short ride today, my headlights on highbeam, headlights LED’s, driving lights on, clear sunny day. Came up to a side road entrance, truck pulled up to it stopped and then swung out onto the roadway. He was a tandem trailer semi with a lumber load. I had nobody behind me, nor did he. By the time he was on the roadway and totally in his lane, I had to brake. Had he waited 30 seconds, I would have been by him and he would have been clear to go, and had he been a PROFESSIONAL DRIVER, that’s exactly how it would have been!

There....RANT over, and I feel better.
    I had hoped this was a problem unique to Australia - appears not
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    It's not that at all!! . It's more a matter of any/all drivers/riders of a smaller vehicles being smart enough to try and avoid forcing the heavier vehicle driver to hafta argue with those STILL so far immutable laws of physics!!

Heavy vehicles have a HELLUVA LOT of momentum to overcome just to change speeds, let alone STOP to avoid the idiot who cuts in front without leaving enough space; or to GET MOVING again once they've been forced to slow to avoid driving right over someone who cut things just a little fine, and all that also applies if they've just started moving again!! Sometimes, their best and safest course of action is to continue on with the action they commenced somewhat before you as the approaching driver even saw the heavy vehicle start moving again, cos if they try to stop something they've already started, they'll likely end up smack in your way or blocking the whole intersection or maybe running over you as you try to squeeze thru the rapidly closing gap before they physically can stop again anyway!!

The 'real' professional drivers of heavy vehicles out there know that their rigs just don't simply get straight up to freeway speeds in seconds once they put their foot down; just like they don't just stop on a dime if they lift their foot off the gas or stomp on the brakes either - all those actions take quite a few seconds to show any noticeable results, and the smaller vehicle that gets too close in any of those instances WILL LOSE if it comes to a collision!! So regardless of who you are or who 'technically' might have right of way, as a competent driver/rider of a smaller vehicle, then YOU really NEED to give them a WHOLE LOT MORE SPACE and LEEWAY to do anything, or YOU'LL LOSE if the driver of the heavy vehicle can't suddenly produce a miracle and avoid you - it really doesn't matter too much if they're a ratbag incompetent or the most courteous of skilled professional drivers!! If YOU (or me; or someone else?!) puts yourself in harms way by not giving them/their vehicle enough space or leeway to do what they've already started doing (even if you can't see it yet cos it's taking seconds to produce any results!! ) then YOU stand a good chance of paying the penalty..... and there's an equally as good chance that they might not even feel the little bump that was their heavy trailer flattening you into the deck!!

So if/whenever anyone is driving/riding a smaller vehicle, if we're smart, we'll give these heavy vehicles more space than we think they might need; and cos there does seem to be an increasing number of 'less than professionally competent' drivers than was formerly the case, then we should probably give them even MORE 'I.D. 10. T.' space too!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-20-2021 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Likely end up...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My all time pet peeve: two trucks on the interstate, with one trying to pass the other. One is doing 65 mph, the other is doing 65.1 mph. Do they do the considerate thing and
    move over? Surely you jest, they just ramble on down the highway letting huge lines of traffic back up behind them. I see this all the time.

There's lots of bad drivers out there, and semi drivers have their fair share. I've been motorcycling for over 55 years, and never had a motorcycle accident on the street. I know how
    to avoid these guys, but I don't like their attitude one bit.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One time, in Kansas I think, traffic was heavy and not quite the speed limit. I was in the left lane and a FedEx semi pulled up in the right lane alongside me. I got his attention and waved him to back off. He did, but I could tell he was not happy. But at least he was courteous enough to give me space. When traffic freed up I left him well behind.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

A couple observations as a "semi" retired driver. Not trying to make an excuse for a stupid move. The mirrors on a truck are large and are at the same height as a driver's eyes and so are stop, warning signs at corners. I have on several occasions thought the road was clear only to start pulling out and see a vehicle approaching even though I looked several times. And once committed, by the time I bring 80K lbs to a stop, I've blocked the intersection. It will take a loaded truck almost a mile to get up to speed. Sometimes have to weigh the lesser of 2 evils.

Trucks now using a computer to track his driving and stopped times. In the real world these electronic log devices hamper a driver's efficiency and have the side effect of making drivers have to hurry to complete their deliveries. Also there now is a shortage of drivers which means there are more newbies out there with less experience. Yes, I've done stupid things and been a recipient of driver stupidity too. In conclusion, ride smart, ride safe, pretend you're invisible and enjoy the ride.

Not trying to make excuses for dumb drivers, bet there's a lot going on in truck cabs and still trying to be safe so he/she can get home in one piece. Every truck driver like a motorcycle rider was a beginner at one time.

Coke
    2015 RT-S , RED/BLACK

Spyder Garage

Thank you Peteoz. Today at the gym, I'm going to try and use the "new word of the day".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    .......and not just in the US, Brucie. Sure, the vast majority of truck drivers are good, courteous drivers, especially if you extend courtesy to them, but there are an ever increasing number of ratbags appearing.....

Agreed, but you can't fix stupid! Cruising down the freeway one day I came up behind a small group of M/C riders who appeared unwilling to pass a semi with a trailer that was swaying back and forth over 1 and 1/2 lanes. Can't say that I didn't blame them as I watched what was going on in front of them. I hung back until the 2 lane section of the freeway turned into 3. At that point, one of the group and I sped past the swaying truck and as we passed the truck's cab we could see the driver reading a magazine he had laying on his steering wheel. WHAT THE HELL!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2021 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup. Years ago, friend-o-mine told about hitch-hiking and a semi driver picked him up. That driver would read a paperback novel as he drove...
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    Yep.....that is correct, Possible If I am about to step onto a pedestrian crossing, and I see a vehicle coming at a rate of knots, I will definitely step back and make way to the “bully”. Same thing applies to a b-double heading toward my car/bike. Fat lot of good being in the “right” will do me when I have been sent to meet my maker.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Thank you Peteoz. Today at the gym, I'm going to try and use the "new word of the day".
    glad you liked it, Wylie
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by guzzihack View Post
    Not trying to make excuses for dumb drivers, bet there's a lot going on in truck cabs and still trying to be safe so he/she can get home in one piece. Every truck driver like a motorcycle rider was a beginner at one time.
    Coke
    Yeah, I agree completely, Coke. There is far less going on in a car than a truck, so you wonder what reason car drivers have for poor driving. It all boils down to the individual. A ratbag is a ratbag.... they will act the same way whether they are driving their car, bicycle, truck or Spyder. It’s just that we appear to be seeing a higher percentage of ratbags appearing in the truck driving profession all over the world.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.