Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone noticed, or is it just me

Has anyone noticed that there seems to be an influx of NOT PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS. It used to be that the semi truckers were “professionals” but now it seems that their only concern is to get from point A to point B in the shortest possible time, and to heck with the other highway users. I was out for a short ride today, my headlights on highbeam, headlights LED’s, driving lights on, clear sunny day. Came up to a side road entrance, truck pulled up to it stopped and then swung out onto the roadway. He was a tandem trailer semi with a lumber load. I had nobody behind me, nor did he. By the time he was on the roadway and totally in his lane, I had to brake. Had he waited 30 seconds, I would have been by him and he would have been clear to go, and had he been a PROFESSIONAL DRIVER, that’s exactly how it would have been!

There....RANT over, and I feel better.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just remember ... "Professional" only means they get paid for it, not that they're good at it.

I used to drive truck 40-45 years ago. We used to say "there are a lot more people driving trucks than there are truck drivers."

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Crap people can still breedunfortunately almost exponentially

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are not alone in this thought !

Spyder Garage

"Knights of the Road" have been gone for many decades. Replaced by Cannon Ball Express Delivery. And trucks have gotten so powerful that they no long lumber along the routes. Top that off with rail availability being taken up by oil trains, more and more freight is moved by truck.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

You are all right on target. Be prepared for stupid...it happens more than you want it to.

Still reminded of the weekly quote from "Hill Street Blues," "Be careful out there."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I drove a truck years ago. Back then, we really were the Knights of the Road. Most drivers (not all) were courteous, helpful, etc and were professional in every sense of the word. I think the biggest issue with "drivers" today is the industry itself. Less pay, unable to work as many hours so you have to really rush to make any money, etc. I thought about going back on the road a few years ago but decided it wasn't worth it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Crap people can still breedunfortunately almost exponentially
    And not surprisingly a considerable number of those individuals can't, don't, or won't speak English.

Spyder Garage

Most of the drivers are professional, A few unprofessional people start driving trucks to earn some money and companies hire these non-experienced drivers for a low rate.
    Due to them, many road accidents occur.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AlanSmith7 View Post
    Most of the drivers are professional, A few unprofessional people start driving trucks to earn some money and companies hire these non-experienced drivers for a low rate.
    Due to them, many road accidents occur.
    Not quite sure if I agree wth you. Yes, most probably received professional training, however that does not make them professional in how they do their job. I do appreciate the “Professional Drivers” that are out there doing a difficult job.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Long story short, try to keep one of your two eyes occasionally on your rearview mirrors. A few years back a semi passed me over a double line on a blind curve going downhill and ran me off the pavement. Didn't see him coming, dam! After panic turned to anger I followed the speeding truck (approx 15 miles) to the crash site. A number of vehicles were involved when that truck rear-ended a pesticide truck. I was on Harley at the time and saw the truck driver fleeing the crash site. I was able to pick my through the debris on the pavement and drove up to the driver. I told him if he didn't stop running and return to the scene he'd just created, I would dismantle one of his kneecaps. He complied and was later arrested. A multi-lane freeway was closed for over 6 hours for the cleanup, and likely, of all the cars and people involved no one was injured.

Spyder Garage

Years ago the schools taught people how to drive trucks. Now the truck driving schools teach people how to pass the CDL test.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    And not surprisingly a considerable number of those individuals can't, don't, or won't speak English.
    Possibly(Not trying side track debate)however believe English or any language has nothing to with it. Stupids comes all kinds& forms even temporary (lapse of judgement) much less distractions

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I think you are confusing POLITE with PROFESSIONAL . The guy may be an excellent driver but is simply an A-hole. Similar to SteveW's observation, "There are more horses' a$$e$ than there are horses".
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I think you are confusing POLITE with PROFESSIONAL . The guy may be an excellent driver but is simply an A-hole. Similar to SteveW's observation, "There are more horses' a$$e$ than there are horses".
    I equate a Professional driver to BEING polite. Thats the way it used to be!

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Years ago the schools taught people how to drive trucks. Now the truck driving schools teach people how to pass the CDL test.
    Not only that but there are a couple schools in tucson and they get new classes going about every 6 weeks. The Student does what he is taught. I would not bo to either one of those schools. The staff acts like they are in it for the money
    2011 rt , pearl white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure what this has to do with spyders but here’s my 2 cents. More like a trash the trucker post and should be deleted.

There are blind spots that that make it hard to see everything around the truck. Also Just because you are smaller with a crap load of lights doesn’t mean you have the right of away either. Most 4 wheelers assume they have the right of way be it merging on the freeway or on side streets.cutting trucks off.by Running stop signs/ lights and on freeway exits all the time. All not thinking Expecting trucks to move or stop on a dime. Not knowing we can’t because of other traffic. I have been driving trucks for quite a few years and drive as safe and courteous as can be. But most people don’t get the action they just did almost killed them.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you can get it, take a 'No Zone' training class. You'll get a real good idea of how and where you should ride in the vicinity of a semi. One cardinal rule: Three places you NEVER want to linger while on the road - behind a semi, alongside a semi, in front of a semi. If you need to pass a semi wait until the way is clear ahead of you to get well ahead of the semi, then kick it in the ass and GO!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have heard some good things about the Walmart drivers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So many semi's on the interstate these days, most difficult not to be in the vicinity of one, that's why I love the back roads if possible. I understand not always possible. Defensive driving to the max on the scoot always with your head on a swivel.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    If you can get it, take a 'No Zone' training class. You'll get a real good idea of how and where you should ride in the vicinity of a semi. One cardinal rule: Three places you NEVER want to linger while on the road - behind a semi, alongside a semi, in front of a semi. If you need to pass a semi wait until the way is clear ahead of you to get well ahead of the semi, then kick it in the ass and GO!
    Agreed. But, in this case, unless I read the OP wrong, the OP was on the main road and was approaching the secondary road. It just appears the trucker missed seeing him. There may have been other circumstances involved. Getting back to the original statement of not professional drivers, I think over the years that car, bus, bike, any type of driver you can think of has become more rude; that's why there is more and more road rage.

As far as I'm concerned any big rig has the right of way, even if he/she doesn't, and drive with that in mind at all times.

happyspyder 2039,

The longer you are on here you are going to see more post and wonder why they are here.

Spyder Garage

At some point I hope it gets better with automated trucks and drivers being recruited from other fields. A family friend just left his nursing job of over 20 years and went to truck driving school. He is in his late 40's. He was recruited by a company that said they would hire him when he got his CDL and pay him well. Sadly employers of drivers, like in most industry, are having a hard time finding drivers that can simply pass the drug tests. That is why this company decided to recruit from other industries and are forced to pay more.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Safe Travels

We Spyder Ryders need to find the best roads to take and be Safe.
    Always look out for the 'Danger Zones' and Ryde alive.

Stay Healthy and Be Safe. .......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    Just because you are smaller with a crap load of lights doesn’t mean you have the right of away either.
    Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    As far as I'm concerned any big rig has the right of way, even if he/she doesn't, ...
    It's easy to remember, ... "it's not the right of way, it's the right of WEIGHT".

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

.......and not just in the US, Brucie. Sure, the vast majority of truck drivers are good, courteous drivers, especially if you extend courtesy to them, but there are an ever increasing number of ratbags appearing.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red