Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle pants question

Question about motorcycle pants, not chaps, but actual pants with the knee pads in them, etc. Are they meant to be worn over pants or not with pants at all?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jim

Spyder Garage

You can get both types! I have a set of Can-Am 'Over-pants' that have zippers right up the outside of each leg to make them easy to put on/take off that are designed to go on over your normal street clothes; and I also have a few of the 'wear as your clothes' types that are quite presentable too; they come in styles that include jeans, chino's, cargo pants, and more; plus of course, there's always leather pants too!!

All of those are available with some degree of kevlar/aramid type lining &/or armour like removable knee pads, some even have removable hip, thigh, &/or tail-bone pads too!! And no rider's wardrobe would be complete without at least SOME of the protective gear that you can get which is close fitting enough to be worn UNDER your 'normal' street clothes. That gear can be pretty handy, and ranges from simple kevlar/aramid long-johns & tops thru to full on armour embedded in high tech compression gear. It all depends on exactly what you want it to do & the type of ryding you're planning on... but please remember that it's not always what YOU do or intended to do that means you might need this sort of protective gear! And while the kevlar/aramid type fabric can save you from losing a lot of skin, it's the armour that saves bones, limbs, &/or important appendages.

Help any?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-18-2021 at 03:41 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Ive got some brand new,never worn Drayko's for sale if youre interested,you wear them like regular pants and their pretty comfortable.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep, like Mr. Aawen said: they come in both flavors.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Many "Riding" pants can do double duty by wearing them over street clothes as well. If the pants come with inner liners, you can remove them to make room for the street pants.
    "Over-pants" tend to be looser fitting than Riding gear.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I wear Klim Baja mesh pants. On a week long trip I wore shorts and them. Klim is the best protective gear around. I also have Klim latitude pants that I wear as rain pants over jeans and fall and spring. Both over jeans and shorts.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

As Peter A said: they come in both flavors. They tend to be on the heavy side if made from leather that is thick enough to provide good protection.

That's the nice thing about chaps...you get the extra protection, but can go down to street clothes when you don't need. it. And the change out is quick and easy.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    Ive got some brand new,never worn Drayko's for sale if youre interested,you wear them like regular pants and their pretty comfortable.
    I can't resist! How do you know they are comfortable if you've never worn them?

OK, I know. You bought them as replacements, right?

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I wear Aerostich pants. AD1. I wear them over sweats, as I want the warmth. In hot weather, I wear khaki, but wear the aerostich if it rains. Best I’ve found. I’ve only been riding 50 years, so I have more to learn. What works for me might not work for you. Try different things. All I know is for the last 300,000 miles or so, my AD1 pants kept me dry and warm. YMMV
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good info folks! I have three sets of specialized riding gear not counting rain gear and I’ve found that Deluth clothing company sell many kinds of jeans that some have knee pads, some extra room for the boys, some that are quick drying and some they call Fire Hose pants. I have a few pair and I like them. IMHO it’s worth doing a search for this company. They also sell so much more stuff. No, it’s not my company. I’m just passing along what I think some my like. cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    I wear Aerostich pants. AD1. I wear them over sweats, as I want the warmth. In hot weather, I wear khaki, but wear the aerostich if it rains. Best I’ve found. I’ve only been riding 50 years, so I have more to learn. What works for me might not work for you. Try different things. All I know is for the last 300,000 miles or so, my AD1 pants kept me dry and warm. YMMV
    Yes, Aerostich is considered the "good stuff." Made in my old home town of Duluth, MN.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got a pair of Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0 overpants. I wear them over jeans. They've got a removable inner liner that is both waterproof and thermal. The outer layer sheds water pretty well although it's probably not waterPROOF. I rarely wear the inner liner as it's REALLY warm. I ride down into the upper 30s on a regular basis and with these and my normal jeans, I'm comfortable.

Spyder Garage

I've Joe Rocket Ballistic Ultra Pants, I wear them for longer rides.
    I also have a Viking's pant I wear them on normal days as well even I wear normal Jeans too.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Question about motorcycle pants, not chaps, but actual pants with the knee pads in them, etc. Are they meant to be worn over pants or not with pants at all?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jim
    Or..... you could not wear any pants, just the knee pads

Spyder Garage

I've worn both over pants and under armor. In winter here in Calif. where I am it really only gets down to high 30's for the most part and my riding is done is 40's in the winter to 90s+ in the summer. Right now I wear the Bohn under armor pretty much 100% of the time with jeans and long johns if needed. In the summer its the under armor and either jeans or Sedici over pants, pads in or out just depending on comfort.
    2015 Pearl White RTL
    Baja Ron Sway Bar
    Russell Day Long Seat
    Strobe Brake Light
    Mirror Mount Turn Signal Indicator

2015 RTL , Yes Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motorcycledave View Post
    or..... You could not wear any pants, just the knee pads
    noooooooooo!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    noooooooooo!
    no, no, no, the DUCT TAPE HURTS A LOT when you need to remove the PADS,
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To add to the mix: Because its easier to pick the winning lottery numbers than predict the weather in an hour from now:
    - I have a pair of Textile pants for winter which include the pads etc, they are too hot to wear over jeans etc, and are a proper fit.
    - I have a pair of MC Kevlar jeans with the appropriate protection for summer use.
    - I also have a pair of light colored (light brown) Kevlar chino's that go over either the Textiles or Jeans for when its very hot (38deg c and above) to reduce the heat absorption of the black textiles and Dark Blue jeans, and make life a little comfortable.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White