Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    That gets my attention. I’ve only owned one bike with floorboards and I like them in combination with highway pegs.
    Adventurer, I am an F3 Limited fan and owner, but if I wasn’t 6’7” and 300lbs (the F3 foot/bar position adjustability is essential for me), I would purchase the 20+ RT-L. Based on what you have written above, I believe that the 20+ RT-L, with it’s electronic screen, 1 minute detachable trunk, loooooong floorboards, roomy drivers seat, longer (than the F3) rear shock travel, and general “refinement” over earlier models really does put it in the Goldwing class.......and yes, it can really scoot when you need it to. Ideal long distance tourer. Don’t get me wrong, the F3-L is a very comfortable long distance tourer also. The F3-L is not a “cruiser” in the sense you mention above when comparing a cruiser to a Goldwing. It is designed for long distance work, but in a different seating position, and is simply not as refined as the RT-L.

As soon as someone comes out with a longer/higher driver seat for the 20+ RT (the brake pedal is hard to get at for me), or I can purchase a second hand seat for Russell Daylong to work their magic on, I will be looking to upgrade.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrocket View Post
    In my opinion, according to what you are looking for in a ride, The RTL is the way to go.
    The list price is 4K more than the base model, but that can change at the point of sale. I got my RTL for $1500 less than the sticker price and got the driver backrest thrown in the deal.
    The RTL has a detachable Top Box (trunk) that has a comfortable passenger backrest built into it, 2 more speakers that give you a surround sound in the cockpit, storage space that will hold an additional 16 gallons of gear giving you an additional 33% of storage. A must have for long distance touring. Besides, your wife may change her mind about riding when you bring this baby home. Mine did. I also purchased the back cover to replace the top box (around $230) in case I want a sportier look, but honestly, after my she who must be obeyed (wife) road on it with that set-up, she hated it after being spoiled with the OEM top box. Both driver and passenger seats are heated as well as the passenger hand grips. If you are touring, you never know when the climate may change, especially in higher elevations. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the RTL is 2" longer than the standard model because of the trunk.
    The RTL also has LED front signature lights which gives it a little attitude on the front end.
    In addition you get self leveling rear suspension that adjusts accordingly to weight added.
    The front trunk (frunk) has a soft liner and has a light in it so you can see into it's vast depths.
    To me, the RTL is the only way to go if touring, whether one or two-up.
    Both models are available in either chrome or dark editions. I'm a chrome guy, so I forked up the additional $1000, but many like the dark sinister look better.
    Whichever you purchase you're gonna have miles of smiles on it. Good Luck with your purchase.
    All those additional amenities are all things I'm fairly certain I want in a bike that I intend to use mostly for touring. Thanks for the input.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Both of my F3's are limiteds. One dark trim and one chrome trim.
    Gives me the capabilities of the RT...like cruise, audio, heated grips, frunk, saddlebags, and top case. The only thing missing is the extra tupperware and the electric windshield. And....about $4K less expensive.

And...make sure the F3 is set up for you. The U-fit system has adjustable handlebar lengths and brake pedal positions. My original test sit on F3 was ergonomically really bad. When I got the set up that fit me (short reach bars and brake position 2) I could only say WoW!

I haven't put the F3 Limited out of the running yet, it's just going to depend on how the riding position feels to me. And from what I've seen the RTL just has a more polished look to my eye...like the radio control buttons below the steering stem is more refined than on the F3 and I'm drawn to that "look". I wish BRP would make the handlebars adjust on all models the way they are on the Ryker.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    How often do you tour? Find a new, or gently used base F3 that has the 79t rear pulley. Add Shad luggage, cruise control module and windshield. Need more luggage? Add a luggage rack from here .. https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...f3s-aluminium/ along with a top case of your choice. Tunes ? Iuse a comm device in my helmets and bluetooth music..
    That's certainly on option, but I'm not pursuing the used route at moment. Probably not my smartest move financially but that's the way my feeble brain is taking me!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
    My 2 cents......

I rode a 2020 F3 and the 2020 RT before quickly deciding on the RT. The seat was the deal breaker for me on the F3 - the sitting position was too confining. I like to move around a little bit and the RT seat is more like what others have posted about sitting "on" the RT versus sitting "in" an F3. Also, after having 2 previous motorcycles that had electric windscreens, I could not see myself being happy with the one on the F3. I typically run the windscreen all the way up on the interstate, about halfway down on the backroads and completely down around town and on my typical rides, I will have all three riding types several times a day. As far as power goes, the RT is sufficient for my 1 up riding (6', 190#) and the addition of a Pedal Commander helped with the throttle response, especially when passing. But....another 30-40 HP would be nice.
    I completely get what you're saying and all are good points. Getting anxious to actually get hands on these machines.

Spyder Garage

I have checked it out and the one thing I find disappointing is the need to avoid gravel roads, but that is something i can adjust to.

Spyder Garage

I have checked it out and the one thing I find disappointing is the need to avoid gravel roads, but that is something i can adjust to.
    Adventurer, there are many riders on here that take their Spyders on gravel roads without issue. Sure, you might get a rock in your belt, but that is very rare and could happen after driving on newly laid asphalt patches on bitumen anyway. If you look at the promotional videos of the 20RTL when it first came out, they show them actually ON gravel/dirt roads, so they may have addressed any issues.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Adventurer, there are many riders on here that take their Spyders on gravel roads without issue. Sure, you might get a rock in your belt, but that is very rare and could happen after driving on newly laid asphalt patches on bitumen anyway. If you look at the promotional videos of the 20RTL when it first came out, they show them actually ON gravel/dirt roads, so they may have addressed any issues.
    Pete
    I saw that promotional video and noticed that and found it confusing in comparison with the Do’s and Don’ts thread here. I’d sure like to hear the experience of others that travel gravel roads on a regular basis.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I haven't put the F3 Limited out of the running yet, it's just going to depend on how the riding position feels to me. And from what I've seen the RTL just has a more polished look to my eye...like the radio control buttons below the steering stem is more refined than on the F3 and I'm drawn to that "look". I wish BRP would make the handlebars adjust on all models the way they are on the Ryker.
    Handlebars on the RTL and F3L are adjustable a little. There are lots of options to reconfigure them anyway you want them with long reach bars, short reach bars, there is even one set of bars that will adjust up & down in and out twist the grips in or out as you want; so adjustability is no an issue if you need that. If you look around the forum you will see many post on the subject on 2020 +. When you go to buy an RTL or F3L I would hope the dealer would take the time to fit the bars to you to see what set will fit you best. Some have a system where you sit on the bike and they can adjust it to you to see what you like best. The multi configuration bar I mentioned above is an aftermarket product called heli bar if I remember right. But just know there are options if need be but I think you will be fine, you will just need to give it time when you first start riding 3 wheels. After you get 2000 miles then you will have a better feel for it.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Along with what CopperSpyder has said re different bar options for adjustment, BRP have also released an accessory bar riser, that is adjustable by flipping a clamp level, raising the bars to the required level, and locking the clamp, Adventurer.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Handlebars on the RTL and F3L are adjustable a little. There are lots of options to reconfigure them anyway you want them with long reach bars, short reach bars, there is even one set of bars that will adjust up & down in and out twist the grips in or out as you want; so adjustability is no an issue if you need that. If you look around the forum you will see many post on the subject on 2020 +. When you go to buy an RTL or F3L I would hope the dealer would take the time to fit the bars to you to see what set will fit you best. Some have a system where you sit on the bike and they can adjust it to you to see what you like best. The multi configuration bar I mentioned above is an aftermarket product called heli bar if I remember right. But just know there are options if need be but I think you will be fine, you will just need to give it time when you first start riding 3 wheels. After you get 2000 miles then you will have a better feel for it.
    Thanks for the info. Time well tell, maybe I’ll get lucky and the stock bars will be a perfect fit for me, not likely tho, I’ve put risers on practically every bike I’ve owned in the last 15 years or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Along with what CopperSpyder has said re different bar options for adjustment, BRP have also released an accessory bar riser, that is adjustable by flipping a clamp level, raising the bars to the required level, and locking the clamp, Adventurer.
    Pete
    I think I know what your talking about if it’s the one shown in the sea to sky promo vid. A combination of that adjustable riser and adjustable forward and backward (independent of rise) would be an option worth paying for IMHO.

Spyder Garage

In my opinion, you need to decide which style fits you best.
    At this point, whatever model you like best, go balls to the wall and buy every gadget that BRP offers.
    Yes, I know there are some people who balk at the idea of a $1200 accessory.
    They'll by a similar aftermarket accessory for $900 and then spend 400 man hours and another $500 to make it fit right.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I agree with bikerchris. I enrolled in a one day CanAm course and found it to be very beneficial. Even though all the riding was on a closed parking lot course it provided a lot of learning and fun. The course also provided the time to get the feel of the CanAms envelope in a safe and controlled environment.

I was fortunate to only have about six people in the class. If I remember correctly I was the only student with a fair amount of two wheel riding experience. Having two wheeled experience may give you a bit of a situational awareness advantage. As far a riding the CanAm I think we were all starting at pretty much the same skill level. I may have been at a somewhat disadvantage because I found myself having to fight some two wheeled tendencies not needed on three wheels.

Good luck.

Poasttown

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    In my opinion, you need to decide which style fits you best.
    At this point, whatever model you like best, go balls to the wall and buy every gadget that BRP offers.
    Yes, I know there are some people who balk at the idea of a $1200 accessory.
    They'll by a similar aftermarket accessory for $900 and then spend 400 man hours and another $500 to make it fit right.
    I’ve looked at the accessories BRP offers under the Bulid Your Own website and as an uninitiated potential Spyder owner there are only a couple of accessories I’d be interested in up front but that will likely change after riding one for a while

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    I agree with bikerchris. I enrolled in a one day CanAm course and found it to be very beneficial. Even though all the riding was on a closed parking lot course it provided a lot of learning and fun. The course also provided the time to get the feel of the CanAms envelope in a safe and controlled environment.

I was fortunate to only have about six people in the class. If I remember correctly I was the only student with a fair amount of two wheel riding experience. Having two wheeled experience may give you a bit of a situational awareness advantage. As far a riding the CanAm I think we were all starting at pretty much the same skill level. I may have been at a somewhat disadvantage because I found myself having to fight some two wheeled tendencies not needed on three wheels.
    Good luck.
    Poasttown
    I will enroll in a riding class if I find one available semi-close to me. I’m 100% confident I will be reaching for the clutch and front brake for a while especially for harder/emergency stops when I’m just instinctively reacting as in avoidance maneuvers or suddenly stopping for that light that turned red sooner than expected. Im conditioned since I use the front brake more than the rear brake on my two wheel bikes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’m 100% confident I will be reaching for the clutch and front brake for a while especially for harder/emergency stops when I’m just instinctively reacting as in avoidance maneuvers or suddenly stopping for that light that turned red sooner than expected. Im conditioned since I use the front brake more than the rear brake on my two wheel bikes.
    Just keep reminding yourself that you are NOT on a 3-wheeled motorcycle, you are on a 3-wheeled CAR.

The car analogy will help you remember that your ONLY brake is at your right foot.

You also STEER the Spyder, which is opposite a 2-wheeled cycle. Keep in mind the image of riding on the back step of a kid's tricycle and steering where you want to go. (It worked for me) If you have any time onboard a snow machine, that helps. What you really have is a snow machine with the optional wheel package so you can ride it all-year around.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That would be nice to have rise and pullback options for handlebars. Not everyone is the same size. �� 🤯

Spyder Garage

Hi Adventurer,

I’m 64 and retired. Been a two wheel rider for the majority of my life like ... me too

First: my wife loves to ride with me, but only on the 3-wheelers (but not on the 2-wheeles we used may years) ..

we had an RT for many years and changed now to a Ryker 900 - looks more sporty and is more sporty - its the better Solution if you really plan "Adventures" - shaft drive / lightweight / faster / better handling
    but the RT is a perfect Highway Tourer..
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

I saw this post and my first thought was Cindy Crawford.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Just keep reminding yourself that you are NOT on a 3-wheeled motorcycle, you are on a 3-wheeled CAR.

The car analogy will help you remember that your ONLY brake is at your right foot.

You also STEER the Spyder, which is opposite a 2-wheeled cycle. Keep in mind the image of riding on the back step of a kid's tricycle and steering where you want to go. (It worked for me) If you have any time onboard a snow machine, that helps. What you really have is a snow machine with the optional wheel package so you can ride it all-year around.

I understand what you mean, but I just don’t like the car analogy as I don’t want to think I’m driving a car around...I don’t want to leave the bike world! If I did I’d just buy a Mazda Miata...yuck!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    Hi Adventurer,

I’m 64 and retired. Been a two wheel rider for the majority of my life like ... me too

First: my wife loves to ride with me, but only on the 3-wheelers (but not on the 2-wheeles we used may years) ..

we had an RT for many years and changed now to a Ryker 900 - looks more sporty and is more sporty - its the better Solution if you really plan "Adventures" - shaft drive / lightweight / faster / better handling
    but the RT is a perfect Highway Tourer..
    I’m sure hoping 3 wheels will coax my wife into riding with me more, will be interesting to see one way or the other.

I’m an adventure rider at heart and love to explore unpaved back roads but I think there are plenty of paved roads to explore and keep me happy the rest of my riding life. I have the new Honda CT 125 on order, so I’ll still have a tool on hand for the more remote exploring, just a little more tame than what I’ve been used to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I saw this post and my first thought was Cindy Crawford.
    Haha, I’d take that model in a heartbeat!

Spyder Garage

I will enroll in a riding class if I find one available semi-close to me. I’m 100% confident I will be reaching for the clutch and front brake for a while especially for harder/emergency stops when I’m just instinctively reacting as in avoidance maneuvers or suddenly stopping for that light that turned red sooner than expected. Im conditioned since I use the front brake more than the rear brake on my two wheel bikes.
    Adventurer

In my comments concerning the class I failed to mention that my class had a few different models of the spyder and we were allowed to try all if we choose.

Poasttown