Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What model do you recommend

Hi everyone, I guess this is my first post except for my post in the Welcome thread. I’m 64 and retired. Been a two wheel rider for the majority of my life like I expect most everyone else here and I’m going to try my hand in the Spyder world.

I’m expecting to do a lot of long distance touring on a Spyder. My wife rarely rides with me and unfortunately I don’t expect that to change.

I’ve been able to answer a ton of questions thru reviewing threads here, reviews on line and you tube.

The question I have not found an answer for is this: What model 2021+ Spyder or Ryker would you recommend for one up touring?

PS Due to covid I haven’t yet been to a dealer to look in person or test ride but I’d appreciate your input before I do make the trek to a dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If available at a dealer near you........sign up for a Can Am 2 day rider course offered through dealers. It gives you insight on how to handle a spyder and the opportunity to ride the models.....making it an educated purchase..
    I’m sooooooo glad I did this......it made my choice an easy one. All models handle differently.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

See if your dealer has demo rides?
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One up touring would be between the RTL and the F3L. Each sit a little different one RTL you sit on with your feet below the other F3L you sit lower with your feet forward. You would need to look and sit On them to know. Going from 2 wheels to 3 wheels will take a little getting use too. its not as easy as you may think. Good luck shopping!!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Hi everyone, I guess this is my first post except for my post in the Welcome thread. I’m 64 and retired. Been a two wheel rider for the majority of my life like I expect most everyone else here and I’m going to try my hand in the Spyder world.

I’m expecting to do a lot of long distance touring on a Spyder. My wife rarely rides with me and unfortunately I don’t expect that to change.

I’ve been able to answer a ton of questions thru reviewing threads here, reviews on line and you tube.

The question I have not found an answer for is this: What model 2021+ Spyder or Ryker would you recommend for one up touring?

PS Due to covid I haven’t yet been to a dealer to look in person or test ride but I’d appreciate your input before I do make the trek to a dealer.
    From one life time rider ( I'm 78) to antother the Ryker is a toy and not suited for touring, I would look at the RT models and the F3 LTD models
    only my opinion "and you know about opinions" everyone has one...
    Ride safe
    Dave

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

For me, an easy decision.....RTL. Because of arthritis in my hips and legs, I cannot handle the ‘laid back’ position of the F3’s. Braking is the problem. For what it’s worth, I’ll be 78 in April and have a 2014 RTS-SE6. Have had it now for 5 1/2 years and can see no reason to change....very happy with it. Previously I’ve had Touring Bikes and Cruisers. Started riding in ‘59/‘60 on a ‘49 Royal Enfield 500cc single.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Others right on so far. RT or F3 for one or two up touring. Each one has a different ride to it. Consider the RT as the Goldwing (couch) ride. A bit more plush. The F3 is more like a touring cruiser. You sit ON the RT and IN the F3. I have had three RT's and now own two F3's.

Me...I like the F3 better.

As always, I recommend a test drive of both. That will help you determine what YOU like best.

Good luck on your hunt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the quick replies, all good points. I know I will need to sit on and test ride each model to test the personal fit of each model in the running. @ARtraveler may have hit the nail on the head for me. I’ve done some long distance touring on a cruiser and some on a goldwing and I’ll have to say I’m more of a goldwing kind of guy from that aspect. You can obviously tour on a cruiser but it’s not designed for it as much as it is bar hoping.

I had figured out that the F3 is more sportier but the fact there is an F3 Limited had me questioning. So unless the RTL just doesn’t that is the model I’d lean towards prior to an actual test ride.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    If available at a dealer near you........sign up for a Can Am 2 day rider course offered through dealers. It gives you insight on how to handle a spyder and the opportunity to ride the models.....making it an educated purchase..
    I’m sooooooo glad I did this......it made my choice an easy one. All models handle differently.
    I will certainly check in to a rider course, of course, LOL!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    See if your dealer has demo rides?
    The local dealers do offer demo rides and I plan to take them up on that. I just want to educate myself as much as possible ahead of visiting a dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    For me, an easy decision.....RTL. Because of arthritis in my hips and legs, I cannot handle the ‘laid back’ position of the F3’s. Braking is the problem. For what it’s worth, I’ll be 78 in April and have a 2014 RTS-SE6. Have had it now for 5 1/2 years and can see no reason to change....very happy with it. Previously I’ve had Touring Bikes and Cruisers. Started riding in ‘59/‘60 on a ‘49 Royal Enfield 500cc single.
    Royal Enfield - what’s old is new again!

I’m hope when I do sit on the model I think I want it it doesn’t “feel” right to me that’ll be a bummer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For one up touring, I'd recommend the RT base/standard or the F3T. You don't get the auto suspension, heated seats or trunk on either the RT base or F3T but they're about $4k less than their Limited siblings. You can always add the items you'd get w/the Limited trim levels later. I have a 2021 RT base model and added a trunk (Shad SH58X). I just added the frunk liner (which is a PITA on an RT) today. I didn't feel the need for heated seats or auto suspension and I can add the Signature lights later (or not).

The F3s are a bit cheaper than the RTs. The F3s are a bit sportier but lack a few of the creature comforts that the RTs have. The RT has an electrically operated windscreen and a much better fairing. The F3....well, doesn't. You're a bit more stretched out on the F3. The F3 probably handles a bit better although I can keep up with almost anyone on my RT. Bottom line, if you're more into touring than handling, buy the RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    For one up touring, I'd recommend the RT base/standard or the F3T. You don't get the auto suspension, heated seats or trunk on either the RT base or F3T but they're about $4k less than their Limited siblings. You can always add the items you'd get w/the Limited trim levels later. I have a 2021 RT base model and added a trunk (Shad SH58X). I just added the frunk liner (which is a PITA on an RT) today. I didn't feel the need for heated seats or auto suspension and I can add the Signature lights later (or not).

The F3s are a bit cheaper than the RTs. The F3s are a bit sportier but lack a few of the creature comforts that the RTs have. The RT has an electrically operated windscreen and a much better fairing. The F3....well, doesn't. You're a bit more stretched out on the F3. The F3 probably handles a bit better although I can keep up with almost anyone on my RT. Bottom line, if you're more into touring than handling, buy the RT.
    Everybody is quickly convincing me that the RT is better suited to what I want to do than the F3, theoretically.

My personality is such that I know I’m way more inclined to go for the RTL than the RT, we shall see. Plus when my wife does ride I want her to have all the creature comforts available in hopes that she’ll want to ride more often, not likely but one can hope!

Spyder Garage

Default I havnt been a passenger on the 2021 RTLs but,

The demo ride on the 2020-21 was pretty plush and I really like the new longer floorboard and slightly cushier drivers seat. My current ride is a 15 base RT which I have added aftermarket boards and NBV highway pegs so its good for me.

If I wanted to buy new and if my wife needed a back seat, we might go a new 2021 RT, but she likes her 16 F3T and I'm happy with the shorty windshield on the adjustable windscreen on my RT - and happy to adjust the airbag manually if I need to load up for a trip.
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe rent one for a day or two to get a better feel for it. Not all models are for everyone. It does take some time if you never driven a inverted trike to get use to the steering.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had figured out that the F3 is more sportier ...
    I have have sat on, but not actually ridden an F3, but I don't see where the "sporty" part kicks in.

In the 2-wheeled motorcycle world, there are three basic postures for road-going bikes.
    1. The sport crowd has rear-set footpegs to allow leaning forward into the wind for less drag.
    2. The touring crowd sits more upright, which is fine, behind the usual windshield.
    3. The cruiser crowd has their feet more forward, and quite frankly, I have never figured out why.

I come from the touring crowd. All my bikes (since 1976) have been upright and have had a decent windshield. That is similar to the RT, so it's comfortable to me. Having feet forward, like on the F3 leaves me with a feeling of lack of control. There is no possiblity of standing on the pegs to help absorb a REALLY large bump, and it places your back into a strange curve.

We are all unique, just like everyone else, and we each have our own opinions.
    You asked for mine, I'm happy to offer it and will remind you it's worth what you paid for it.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Smile

In my opinion, according to what you are looking for in a ride, The RTL is the way to go.
    The list price is 4K more than the base model, but that can change at the point of sale. I got my RTL for $1500 less than the sticker price and got the driver backrest thrown in the deal.
    The RTL has a detachable Top Box (trunk) that has a comfortable passenger backrest built into it, 2 more speakers that give you a surround sound in the cockpit, storage space that will hold an additional 16 gallons of gear giving you an additional 33% of storage. A must have for long distance touring. Besides, your wife may change her mind about riding when you bring this baby home. Mine did. I also purchased the back cover to replace the top box (around $230) in case I want a sportier look, but honestly, after my she who must be obeyed (wife) road on it with that set-up, she hated it after being spoiled with the OEM top box. Both driver and passenger seats are heated as well as the passenger hand grips. If you are touring, you never know when the climate may change, especially in higher elevations. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the RTL is 2" longer than the standard model because of the trunk.
    The RTL also has LED front signature lights which gives it a little attitude on the front end.
    In addition you get self leveling rear suspension that adjusts accordingly to weight added.
    The front trunk (frunk) has a soft liner and has a light in it so you can see into it's vast depths.
    To me, the RTL is the only way to go if touring, whether one or two-up.
    Both models are available in either chrome or dark editions. I'm a chrome guy, so I forked up the additional $1000, but many like the dark sinister look better.
    Whichever you purchase you're gonna have miles of smiles on it. Good Luck with your purchase.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the quick replies, all good points. I know I will need to sit on and test ride each model to test the personal fit of each model in the running. @ARtraveler may have hit the nail on the head for me. I’ve done some long distance touring on a cruiser and some on a goldwing and I’ll have to say I’m more of a goldwing kind of guy from that aspect. You can obviously tour on a cruiser but it’s not designed for it as much as it is bar hoping.

I had figured out that the F3 is more sportier but the fact there is an F3 Limited had me questioning. So unless the RTL just doesn’t that is the model I’d lean towards prior to an actual test ride.
    Both of my F3's are limiteds. One dark trim and one chrome trim.
    Gives me the capabilities of the RT...like cruise, audio, heated grips, frunk, saddlebags, and top case. The only thing missing is the extra tupperware and the electric windshield. And....about $4K less expensive.

And...make sure the F3 is set up for you. The U-fit system has adjustable handlebar lengths and brake pedal positions. My original test sit on F3 was ergonomically really bad. When I got the set up that fit me (short reach bars and brake position 2) I could only say WoW!
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-17-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

How often do you tour? Find a new, or gently used base F3 that has the 79t rear pulley. Add Shad luggage, cruise control module and windshield. Need more luggage? Add a luggage rack from here .. https://www.canamspyderaccessories.c...f3s-aluminium/ along with a top case of your choice. Tunes ? Iuse a comm device in my helmets and bluetooth music..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

My 2 cents......

I rode a 2020 F3 and the 2020 RT before quickly deciding on the RT. The seat was the deal breaker for me on the F3 - the sitting position was too confining. I like to move around a little bit and the RT seat is more like what others have posted about sitting "on" the RT versus sitting "in" an F3. Also, after having 2 previous motorcycles that had electric windscreens, I could not see myself being happy with the one on the F3. I typically run the windscreen all the way up on the interstate, about halfway down on the backroads and completely down around town and on my typical rides, I will have all three riding types several times a day. As far as power goes, the RT is sufficient for my 1 up riding (6', 190#) and the addition of a Pedal Commander helped with the throttle response, especially when passing. But....another 30-40 HP would be nice.

Spyder Garage

Check out the following thread, it contains a wealth of information for new riders (and experienced riders also).

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

johnv
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-17-2021 at 01:42 PM. Reason: 'Thread', not 'site' ;-)
    USMC RETIRED

BLUE KNIGHTS NYV

2022 F3T Glacier Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Started riding in ‘59/‘60 on a ‘49 Royal Enfield 500cc single.
    Wow , I started on a 1956 AJS 500 single. Then went to a 750 Norton Commando for my touring start.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    The demo ride on the 2020-21 was pretty plush and I really like the new longer floorboard and slightly cushier drivers seat.
    That gets my attention. I’ve only owned one bike with floorboards and I like them in combination with highway pegs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That gets my attention. I’ve only owned one bike with floorboards and I like them in combination with highway pegs.
    One typical drawback of a 2-wheeler with floorboards is that you usually have to spread your legs farther to avoid them when coming to a stop. Fortunately, that "problem" does not exist on a Spyder.

I don't have floorboards on my Goldwing, but I DO enjoy them on my Suzuki.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    have have sat on, but not actually ridden an F3, but I don't see where the "sporty" part kicks in.
    I simply meant to my eye it looks sportier partially based on the exposed engine. I did mean in reference to seating position as in sport bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    feet forward, like on the F3 leaves me with a feeling of lack of control. There is no possiblity of standing on the pegs to help absorb a REALLY large bump, and it places your back into a strange curve.
    The feet forward makes me think I wouldn't like the seating position of the F3 that well. My current bike is a Yamaha Super Tenere and when using the highway pegs feel like a big flattened C which is not a comfortable position of this big belly guy.
    We are all unique, just like everyone else, and we each have our own opinions.