Spyder Garage

Default Anyone else notice a Noise while riding 45-50 mph?

I have a 2020 Spider RT limited touring.
    Does anyone notice a loud noise between 45 and 50 mph? Doesn't make any difference which gear. I would call it a loud tone at this speed. The tone is a real ear splitter even with a full helmet. This doesn't happen at any other speed.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motorcyclemike View Post
    I have a 2020 Spider RT limited touring.
    Does anyone notice a loud noise between 45 and 50 mph? Doesn't make any difference which gear. I would call it a loud tone at this speed. The tone is a real ear splitter even with a full helmet. This doesn't happen at any other speed.
    Yup same here. No matter the gear but once I hit 51 or 52 its gone. It happens around 48-50 for me. It sounds like a wind noise hitting something but I just can't figure out what. I have adjusted my windscreen and tried defusing the wind on the side deflectors. To me it does not sound like the belt.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

Check your front belt pulley to see if is white. If not, I understand the white one will eliminate that sound.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Just the wind whistling through my ears
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

The white pulley will eliminate it.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Deleted

Spyder Garage

Had the same noise on my 20 RT Limited at around 48-50 MPH. Had the dealer replace the front pulley with the redesigned white pulley and the noise is gone. BRP is aware of the problem and will replace under warranty no charge.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    Had the same noise on my 20 RT Limited at around 48-50 MPH. Had the dealer replace the front pulley with the redesigned white pulley and the noise is gone. BRP is aware of the problem and will replace under warranty no charge.
    Great thanks for the info. I will call my dealer today. I am sure they can get it in sometime in 2026!
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

I just contacted my dealer and she said she isn't aware of anything out of BRP that talks about replacing the front pulley with a newly designed white one, but she's going to look into it. Is there like a recall site from BRP that mentions it?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    I just contacted my dealer and she said she isn't aware of anything out of BRP that talks about replacing the front pulley with a newly designed white one, but she's going to look into it. Is there like a recall site from BRP that mentions it?
    It might not be a recall, but a TSB; technical service bulletin. That means it gets corrected when the customer comes in and/or calls.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Ok. Well she said she hasn't heard of anything but is going to speak with her service manager and open a case if he isn't aware either. If they do have a known fix, I'll have them replace it immediately.

EDIT: Well that was fast. They just called me back and said that because my ride was an early '21 model, most likely they used the '20 pulley that was initially an issue. It's on backorder but he's going to order it and change it for free. Also, if I don't have a tension arm, they're going to install that as well. He wasn't sure without looking at it.

So thanks for the info on this. I can't wait for it to be fixed. Quiet at all speeds.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    Ok. Well she said she hasn't heard of anything but is going to speak with her service manager and open a case if he isn't aware either. If they do have a known fix, I'll have them replace it immediately.

EDIT: Well that was fast. They just called me back and said that because my ride was an early '21 model, most likely they used the '20 pulley that was initially an issue. It's on backorder but he's going to order it and change it for free. Also, if I don't have a tension arm, they're going to install that as well. He wasn't sure without looking at it.

So thanks for the info on this. I can't wait for it to be fixed. Quiet at all speeds.
    Look up the TSB yourself then print them out and hand it to them, that's what I did. It is not a recall but a TSB
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

They called me back and said that it is a TSB and that they'll order one for me. Thanks.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm assuming this problem is not an issue with my 2014 RTL. Never heard any of that noise from my trike. Just installed a belt idler from LaMonster and it sure stopped the vibration I had at 63-66 mph. What's so special about this "White Pully" and why did they change pullys recently??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    I'm assuming this problem is not an issue with my 2014 RTL. Never heard any of that noise from my trike. Just installed a belt idler from LaMonster and it sure stopped the vibration I had at 63-66 mph. What's so special about this "White Pully" and why did they change pullys recently??
    It seems that the latest '20/'21 models with their 'even less' tupperware over the critical areas have presented with a really annoying 'front pulley noise' somewhere in that 40-50 mph range, a noise that is completely separate to the 60-70 mph belt vibration issue. There IS a TSB about this noise - it is apparently generated by the air flow thru the holes in the front pulley (or something to do with air flow in/around the pulley ) so it's possibly been there on all the 1330 engined Spyders... ...only it is now more intrusive and objectionable due the changes in tupperware coverage either making the air flow around the pulley worse, or simply because there's now less tupperware so it's become more audible than on the earlier models... or maybe there's a bit of both involved?!?

Regardless, it appears that the 'solution' BRP have come up with is simply to apply a special coating to the pulley, hence the 'white pulleys', and that coating somehow makes the noise less.... . Whatever you might think of that, it apparently works & has satisfied most who've experienced the noise & then gone down the 'replace the pulley' route to resolve it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-25-2021 at 06:08 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Then, why haven't F3 models been experiencing this all along? They have far less Tupperware.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Then, why haven't F3 models been experiencing this all along? They have far less Tupperware.
    Waaay less tupperware, completely different air flow around the pulley?!? More than that, you'd hafta ask BRP - it's their story, not mine.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Does anyone have the number of that T.S.B.? My Dealer had no idea of what I was talking about when I mentioned a 'white' pulley. THX.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bluewater View Post
    Does anyone have the number of that T.S.B.? My Dealer had no idea of what I was talking about when I mentioned a 'white' pulley. THX.
    I left a response in the other post that you posted in.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue