Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

And, there are other ways to "Lean your Spyder" if you really want to...

Spyder7.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " TWICE THE SPEEDS " .... I don't believe a " tilting " spyder will be able to generate the " G " forces our current models do .... if the front wheels " tilt " they will ONLY work with REAL motorcycle tires .... and they will have far less traction than any Auto tires that are now running with complete Tread contact with the road surface. I don't believe BRP will be able to have Just the spyder body LEAN ..... No I don't have any engineering degree's, just a general understanding of how things work ..... good luck BRP ..... I'm not holding my breath on this ...... Mike
    I have to agree. I rode mainly Sport and adventure bikes until I got my Spyder a few months ago. I will say when I got this I rode very aggressive until around 1000 miles. Then I figured out what the Spyder was and started adjusting how I drove it. They are IMO radically different drive styles.

I think a leaning Spyder would appeal to a much different rider then most who own one now.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Spyder Garage

Sorry guys my Intel was a bit off there is a new ghost platform coming but apparently it’s not on the spiders it’s on a new retooled boat and yes I have driven a Yamaha Niken took one for a very nice test ride! it basically feels like a large two wheeler that is much safer and planted better in corners and in breaking and handling then a conventional two wheeler! I was looking at buying it but it feels too much like two wheels and feet still need to come to the groundAnd very expensive here in Canada the thing is about 20,000 when the two wheeler model with same drive line is about 12,000 almost double for third wheel! it actually has become a huge sales flop!
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Spyder Garage

Sorry guys looks like the ghost project is a new retooled boat that BRP is working on I see they terminated the Evinrude E tech to stroke they were are probably going to come out with an electric outboard motor and that’s why it’s called the ghost it will be very quiet sorry to stir up the beehive on the three wheeler I also have driven the Niken basically a glorified two wheeler did not feel like a trike whatsoever very planted handled very nice but not extremely confident like a spider basically I felt like I was just on a very tall two wheeler
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    ...it did handle well, but the Vision was a big beast.
    Pete---I had a 2012 Vision and I could scrape the floorboards. It handled much better once you removed the trunk (which I did on day 1). Damn sexy that way, too.

sexybeast.jpg

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I love my spyder. The handling is great and I feel confident on it. I feel like I will always have one in some form or another. But I must say that the looks of the F3 series looks like a lawnmower to me. I like the looks of the 2020 and up RT better than anything that they have had out so far. As for the goldwing 3 wheeled thing, I would definitely give it a ride if I got a chance. But I feel like I would want a more comfortable seat and saddle bags for some light touring. I know that would take away from the cornering capabilities, but that would be fine with me.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Humm, let's see.

Do you think it will look like this or this??

Joe T.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, neither of those will win any beauty contests, that's for sure.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    Sorry guys looks like the ghost project is a new retooled boat that BRP is working on I see they terminated the Evinrude E tech to stroke they were are probably going to come out with an electric outboard motor and that’s why it’s called the ghost it will be very quiet sorry to stir up the beehive on the three wheeler I also have driven the Niken basically a glorified two wheeler did not feel like a trike whatsoever very planted handled very nice but not extremely confident like a spider basically I felt like I was just on a very tall two wheeler
    No 'beehive' issue here. A great conversation on a topic that many are interested in.

Spyder Garage

Default Reinflating the balloon

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Not to be the guy with a pin in a room full of balloons. But, as already mentioned above, there are some big hurdles to get to a leaning Spyder.

1- Cost or Value for the Money. How much is a novelty worth to you? It's going to be expensive. Not only getting it off the showroom floor. But maintenance costs will be higher as well. Not something that marketing is going to push.
    2- Car tires don't lean well. Which means you'll have to go to Motorcycle tires. Check out the difference in contact patch! This does not bode well for 'Cornering at twice the speed'.
    3- Tire wear is going to increase exponentially. With people already complaining about tire wear. I don't see this as a plus for a leaning Spyder.

4- Look at these Spyder pictures. There isn't enough ground clearance with our WIDE and LOW Spyder platform to lean much before you have hard parts hitting the ground. This means 1 of 3 things have to happen to get this to work.
    A. Make the Spyder quite a bit narrower. Not going to happen.
    B. Raise the Spyder up quite a bit. This will elevate the center of gravity, greatly reducing stability and the amount of G's it can handle. This will force you to go slower in corners.
    C. Restrict lean angle by quite a bit, defeating the purpose for the lean capability in the first place.

I suppose that a combination of these 3 things could bring you to a leaning Spyder. But that's a lot of fundamental, and expensive changes to a platform that is already working very well.

Just on the centre of gravity thing Ron, doesn't that improve as the bike is cranked over if designed correctly? Could be the front tilts and the rear is fixed if necessary.
    As for the tyres there's 16'' wide motorcycle rubber available if needed for untold amounts of traction.
    I don't really see the maintenance issue playing a big part same as the build cost if they follow the Ryker theory of design with less parts.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

To lighten up the mood, some may remember this Ghost Motorcycle
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Yeah, exactly the same for me, Monk. Removed the trunk, too.... it handled very well, but I believe the Niken felt even more stable.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Here we go.....leaning Ryker conversion.....only a prototype though....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ohGvHS...gb-AvCwcqcDmOg

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Thats it I'm in! Just need to yellow up for my trip to the bedroom.Thanks Pete
    Please DO NOT post photos, Cobwebs

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Pete
    Yeah that's getting there, bodywork needs refining but a couple of weeks and more info coming.
    Question, wth motorcycle tyres on Ryker rims how does that work??

Spyder Garage

Yeah that's getting there, bodywork needs refining but a couple of weeks and more info coming.
    Will be interesting to learn what the cost is- conversion means you are buying a Ryker Rally @ ($12k out the door ?) then paying an additional ($10k -guess?) for the conversion? That would make for an expensive bare bones Ryker. Upside to starting with the Ryker is the younger demographic; they are more adaptive to change.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

It doesn't!! (Well, not really anyhow.... )

Motorcycle tires have different bead profiles than car tires & therefore (technically & legally, at least in our country, altho I strongly suspect all the North American members here have the same basic requirements. ) they NEED to be fitted onto motorcycle rims that are built to accept & properly secure motorcycle tire beads!! However, in saying that, there are MANY people out there who've 'gone to the dark-side' by fitting car tires onto their motorcycle rims.... and most who've done this have a pretty large degree of success! BUT, by fitting motorcycle tires onto a Ryker rim, you'd actually be fitting a motorcycle bead profile onto a car rim that's designed to accept car bead profiles, with less lateral security for the bead, so there's a fairly good chance of some 'incompatibility' & a large-ish potential for losing the tire under hard cornering stresses!!

For those who don't yet understand how this differs from what we do when fitting car tires to our Spyders/Rykers, doing that 'going to the dark-side' thing on a motorcycle is nothing like it is on a Spyder/Ryker, because when fitting car tires to our machines, the rims are already CAR rims with CAR type bead profiles!! So for us, it really isn't 'going to the dark-side' at all - it's more akin to 'seeing and following the light!!'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-19-2021 at 07:36 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Pete
    The only 'Lean' to this Ryker is in the front wheels. They have managed to incorporate all the negatives of 'Leaning', without any actual leaning and zero benefits. It simply looks weird going around corners. I can't see this ever going anywhere.

Spyder Garage

The only 'Lean' to this Ryker is in the front wheels. They have managed to incorporate all the negatives of 'Leaning', without any actual leaning and zero benefits. It simply looks weird going around corners. I can't see this ever going anywhere.
    I agree completely, Ron......I can’t see that giving me any more enjoyment than the current Ryker or Spyder.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

There is a leaning version of the Spyder and I hear tell it's a lot of fun to drive. Not sure if or when it will go into production but I do know it's for real.

Spyder Garage

Not necessarily true the rear does lean if you watch closely it follows the fronts because it has to being connected to the axis of the bike.
    I don't understand what you mean by negatives of leaning unless you mean your eyeballs are no longer level ???
    Costwise sure it probably won't be cheap but your talking one off limited numbers. Scale it up to a hot rod version from the factory with correct rims, tyres, shocks and nanny mods and you'd have something.
    I'd love to see twenty of these things fighting it out on a track somewhere or even better more than the one I'd buy for outings on my local haunts.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    I have Intel that I learned last summer that BRP is releasing a brand new spider model for next year!! there is a plastics company down here in Windsor Ontario that builds lots of plastic for Spyders and it’s an all new program called “ghost”!!! this could also be a 2023 model and it very well could be the camber tilting model we’ve all been waiting for!
    You all will find out on Wednesday 8/11

Spyder Garage

I saw somewhere that they were working on an electric Spyder as a concept ... not my cup of tea but maybe something in that engineering line of development?