Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Looks like something you might whittle out of a wooden block.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Would be, wouldn't it? Oh, sorry, already do that in the twisties on my current RT! Shame about how they blow me inta the weeds on the longer straights & open road tho!!

Still, interesting concept? Sure.... but wasn't that particular article originally published back in early 2011?? Has anyone seen much on it since? Any progress reports or updates; or even heard if the patent was actually granted?? So it seems that now, some 10 years later, BRP apparently hasn't progressed too far with it yet, so I wouldn't be holding your breath waiting for a production version!

And while we're talking about holding your breath forever - that article also mentions the prototype Hybrid Spyder that's 'currently on tour' & has (supposedly) been under development for even longer now, so that's obviously coming soon too.... Yeah, right!! We've seen how far that's actually got in the last 12+ years or so, despite BRP's annual 'drag it out & dust it off yet again' marketing & advertising efforts to fool the gullible masses into thinking that the company is actually doing something along those lines!!

No apparent progress in more than a decade or so?? It sounds more & more like they've taken a page or six outta the Elio play-book with both of these 'hybrid' and 'leaning trike' versions coming soon stuff!! I'll believe it when I see it - and I'm NOT gonna be holding my breath, either!
    Oh goody. The hybrid may return. A long long time ago, and in a galaxy far, far away...I actually did an April Fools on the introduction of the Hybrid. I used BRP's original photo, a green/white spyder....(which I later found out, did not even have a working engine in it), and then let the April foolery fly.

I had a few people convinced for a couple of days.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, is that thing fugly!!

Whoops, I was referring to the NeoWing. It was just above my post when I said this.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Other than promo photo's, Honda's Neowing has never been viewed in public, spy shot photo's. Bummer ....

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Other than promo photo's, Honda's Neowing has never been viewed in public, spy shot photo's. Bummer ....
    It has been viewed in public... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8EJ4QnTlzU
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    It has been viewed in public... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8EJ4QnTlzU
    I realize that. I should have been a bit more clear. No running prototypes have ever been spotted on the road in actual testing..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post

Honda Neowing might be close, forcing BRP's hand
    Wonder if that will ever come into production? It would be awesome but I'm not holding my breath.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Wonder if that will ever come into production? It would be awesome but I'm not holding my breath.
    https://japancarsmanufacturer.com/20...honda-neowing/

Don't know how accurate this story is. 2020 has been and gone but there was a few hiccups.
    Would be an awesome ride, way better geometry than the Niken to my eye, shaft drive, dirty great engine, whats not to like?
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks silly to put a GoldWing engine in that thing. Why add the huge weight disadvantage? Getting that monster to lean
    from side to side looks to be a real chore, and if it's electronically controlled, what's the point. And considering a standard
    GoldWing trike is over $30,000, something with this level of sophistication is going to cost well north of that. And trikes,
    regular or two wheels forward, are mainly just toys.

And I certainly have never heard of anything from Yamaha as far as a trike development.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Never heard of the Niken? Three wheeler by Yamaha been in the US market for one or 2 years.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Never heard of the Niken? Three wheeler by Yamaha been in the US market for one or 2 years.
    Yeah, I have taken one for a ride, and it certainly is sure footed, Pegasus.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It certainly does prove you learn something new every day. Thanks for the information.

I did some looking and can't find any years except 2019. Kind of odd. Cycle Trader only shows that year, nothing any newer or older.
    Peggy and Howard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, I have taken one for a ride, and it certainly is sure footed, Pegasus.

Pete
    Haven't ridden one myself Pete but interested to get your opinion on how you think it would stack up in the cornering ability v a Spyder. Far as I know the Niken doesn't have a nanny as such but could be wrong. I am aware that if overcooked they can be dropped into the weeds albeit happens at a far more predictable rate than a regular motorcycle.
    I can see nanny wars and tyre development becoming major factors if these things get a hold in the market.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I dunno about things happening at a more predictable rate. With a motorcycle you can just keep leaning until you run out of lean. It would
    appear that there is a definite stop to the lean on those. It looks like they only lean so far, and that's it. So if you came into a corner a bit
    hot, you may not have enough lean to make the corner. If so, you'e simply drive off the road, or into oncoming traffic, rather than low side.
    Peggy and Howard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Possible View Post
    I dunno about things happening at a more predictable rate. With a motorcycle you can just keep leaning until you run out of lean. It would
    appear that there is a definite stop to the lean on those. It looks like they only lean so far, and that's it. So if you came into a corner a bit
    hot, you may not have enough lean to make the corner. If so, you'e simply drive off the road, or into oncoming traffic, rather than low side.
    Predictable means the speed at which the tyres let go when traction is lost.The feel is sooner and more gradual therefore more controllable with the extra tyre v a sudden dump on one tyre.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems to me that if you lose traction with one tire, you'll lose traction with both. And I wonder if you could lean far enough to pull that off tire from
    contact with the pavement. Pure speculation though, unless you've actually ridden the thing to its limits. I think I'll stick to two wheels for now though.

I was amazed at how cheap, relatively, they are considering the complexity of that front end.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

I had an MP3-500 (leaning scooter reverse trike). It handled exactly like any other leaning 2-wheeled bike. Did a week in the Smokies tearing up the attraction roads. There is no concept of a nanny so you're free to over-drive the s**t out of it in corners. The 2nd front tire adds 50% more traction and makes a world of positive difference on wet/slick/loose surfaces.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I had an MP3-500 (leaning scooter reverse trike). It handled exactly like any other leaning 2-wheeled bike. Did a week in the Smokies tearing up the attraction roads. There is no concept of a nanny so you're free to over-drive the s**t out of it in corners. The 2nd front tire adds 50% more traction and makes a world of positive difference on wet/slick/loose surfaces.
    Want to have a stab at which would corner quicker, a leaner or fixed ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Haven't ridden one myself Pete but interested to get your opinion on how you think it would stack up in the cornering ability v a Spyder. Far as I know the Niken doesn't have a nanny as such but could be wrong. I am aware that if overcooked they can be dropped into the weeds albeit happens at a far more predictable rate than a regular motorcycle.
    I can see nanny wars and tyre development becoming major factors if these things get a hold in the market.
    Very hard to compare, Cobwebs. The Niken certainly inspired confidence when cornering. I was able to take the same corners faster on the Niken than I can on the F3...... but it is sooooooo subjective. I am not a particularly skilled, fast rider. I was far more confident, and I believe faster, on the Niken than I was on the Victory Vision, and it did handle well, but the Vision was a big beast. I’ll see if I can find a review I saw by a very good Aussie rider who has ridden just about everything, and ridden them fast. He was extremely impressed......plus, he is a straight shooter.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Here’s the review.....it’s long, and he’s an Aussie so he is a straight shooter, and his first hand experience is at odds with many of the “guesses” re handling and cornering ability espoused above......believe me, it is well worth the long read

https://www.bikeme.tv/index.php/2018...-holy-trinity/

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I heard a rumor that this was the next version of the Spyder

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

A quick search resulted in this article.

https://journaltimes.com/news/local/...224bc11c6.html
    2020 RT-L , Lamonster brake pedal riser Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Here’s the review.....it’s long, and he’s an Aussie so he is a straight shooter, and his first hand experience is at odds with many of the “guesses” re handling and cornering ability espoused above......believe me, it is well worth the long read

https://www.bikeme.tv/index.php/2018...-holy-trinity/

Pete
    Thats it I'm in! Just need to yellow up for my trip to the bedroom.Thanks Pete

Spyder Garage

Not to be the guy with a pin in a room full of balloons. But, as already mentioned above, there are some big hurdles to get to a leaning Spyder.

1- Cost or Value for the Money. How much is a novelty worth to you? It's going to be expensive. Not only getting it off the showroom floor. But maintenance costs will be higher as well. Not something that marketing is going to push.
    2- Car tires don't lean well. Which means you'll have to go to Motorcycle tires. Check out the difference in contact patch! This does not bode well for 'Cornering at twice the speed'.
    3- Tire wear is going to increase exponentially. With people already complaining about tire wear. I don't see this as a plus for a leaning Spyder.

CarTire.jpg Motorcycle Tire.jpg

4- Look at these Spyder pictures. There isn't enough ground clearance with our WIDE and LOW Spyder platform to lean much before you have hard parts hitting the ground. This means 1 of 3 things have to happen to get this to work.
    A. Make the Spyder quite a bit narrower. Not going to happen.
    B. Raise the Spyder up quite a bit. This will elevate the center of gravity, greatly reducing stability and the amount of G's it can handle. This will force you to go slower in corners.
    C. Restrict lean angle by quite a bit, defeating the purpose for the lean capability in the first place.

I suppose that a combination of these 3 things could bring you to a leaning Spyder. But that's a lot of fundamental, and expensive changes to a platform that is already working very well.

Spyder1.jpg Spyder3.jpg Spyder4.jpg Spyder6.jpg
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Brp ghost project has nothing to do with spyders.
    Joel what do you know about the ghost model? Is it the PWC Marine division? It could be that maybe an all electric Sea-Doo?
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!