Thread: Touring Utah

Spyder Garage

Default Touring Utah

My touring partner and I elected to skip the 2020 St. George ride-in because of the pandemic but are considering making a longer trip to UT this year to do some riding in the state before the ride-in with it being the last venue before we head home. I have a new Butler G1 map of the state but am uncertain of the "best" routes we should ride. I also have in my cage driving the unfortunate experience of having to drive over Vail Pass on I-70 twice during early September snowstorms, something I would not like to get caught in on a Spyder. As such it looks like it might be wiser to use part of I-80 on our westbound leg as much as I dislike superslabbing. I would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations for an ingress route from the east as well as roads/sites we should see/ride as we head south to St. George. We will leave St. George heading ESE toward Gallup and Albuquerque. Thanks much.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Definitely ride Highway 12.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

PM sent
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Virtually the whole state of Utah is worth driving through. It has National Parks all over the place.
    Above mention of Hwy 12 is right on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thank you. I see on the Butler map that Hwy 12 has some interesting places.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, the trip over the Hogback is very interesting. Made me real nervous the first time.

Wow, I just watched a video of a trip over the Hogback, and they've civilized it. The first time I went over it was
    about 35 years ago, and there was no shoulder, no pull offs, and the very narrow road edge was crumbling into
    nothingness. My sphincter was clenched for a lot of it. Now it just looks scenic. Ah well, win some lose some.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Zion to Bryce via the tunnels in the park would be cool on the trike. We towed a smaller 5th wheel on the route. Highway 6 in the fall from 89 to 191 has great fall leaf colors. Lots of great secondary road in Utah. If you pass through Grand Junction be sure to do the Colorado Monument Rim road. Chris
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

If you come in from the North leave I80 where US 191 intersects and ride it south to Vernal around Flaming Gorge Reservoir. Follow US 40 to Duchesne and there and there pick up US 191 again and go South thru Indian Canyon to Helper and US 6. Ride thru Helper, a fascinating mining and railroad town. Eat lunch at the Balance Rock Cafe. Ride north on US 6 to intersection of UT 96 thru the old coal mining town of Scofield,sight of one of the largest coal mine disasters in US history. In Clear Creek pick up UT 264 to the summit and Pick up UT 31 to Fairview. You can Follow US 89 South to the parks. There are good motels in Mt.Pleasant, Ephraim, Richfield. Das Cafe is good eats in Spring City a National Historic City and art community. Continuing South on US 89 is some good riding. At Sigurd leave US89 to pick up UT 24 to Torry. Good Hotels here and many good places to eat. You pick up UT 12 here to Bryce thru Boulder, The Hogsback ( don't believe the videos you see), Calf Creek Falls, Escalante, Bryce Canyon, Red Canyon and on down to Zion's. Other rides, in the North US 40 in to Helper then down US 89A to Provo. In the South, Panguitch (Cowboy Kitchen or the C Store Pizza), Parowan and the Parowan Gap, Beaver and Stop at Beaver Tacos(not made from Beaver meat), then the Creamery for Ice Cream. Hurricane or Cedar City for Lonny Boys BBQ. Also Shakespeare Theater in Cedar City. Kolob Canyon to see the back side of Zion. Kolob Reservoir to see a part of Zion not usually seen and 5 mph curves. North Rim of the GC. Leave thru Kanab,(eat at Nedra's). And that's just a little. There's still Alpine Loop, Nebo Loop, Trappers Loop Bear Lake and the Oregon Trail,Capital Reef, Canyonlands,etc,etc.,etc.Have fun and enjoy Life Elevated.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you make the trip in June, July, or August weather won't be a problem except maybe rain at times. There are several E-W routes through Colorado. Hwy 40 in the northern part is very scenic, but then I-70 is pretty good too. Much better than I-80 through Wyoming. If you do go on I-70 skip Eisenhower tunnel and go over the hill on Loveland Pass Road. It's a great ride.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    ...If you pass through Grand Junction be sure to do the Colorado Monument Rim road. Chris
    We did that on our '19 tour, spent the whole tour in CO, had a ball. I have bicycled a lot of CO and it was fun to let the right hand and foot do most of the work.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thank you, Paul and IMS, that's the kind of information I find very valuable.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I would recommend the Mokee Dugway ride... very cool... Did on my Goldwing 2 up and on my 2014 Spyder... Also the Lake Powell Ferry from Bullfrog to Hall's Crossing is a nice little side trip... As was stated.. All of Utah is great riding.

https://www.dangerousroads.org/north...ugway-usa.html
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey JayBros, if you haven't done so, one thing I've done that has helped a lot in deciding on a route is use Google Maps or Google Earth. Use Street View mode in Maps to preview segments of the route. Gives you a really clear idea of what a particular section of road is like. Google Earth will let you 'fly' down the road to get a moving view of it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

That's exactly what I do. When I am creating a route in BaseCamp I also have Google Maps open and I use the satellite view to to be certain I am not running the route onto unpaved roads. Garmin is always behind Google Maps on the backroads in my experience; roads BC reports as paved are often unpaved. If I'm still in doubt I then switch to Google Earth.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

One thing I have read recently about Zion is that most of the park is now closed to cars. If you want to tour it, you have to take the bus. Those RV's going through the tunnels have kind of put the Kibosh on the park open to all, all the time. Cannot think of the name of the town (EDIT: Springdale), but it has now become the parking lot for all the Zion travelers awaiting their bus. They also did that in AK at Denali park. You can drive in 15 miles and then it's the all day bus tour. I did that once, and my back said...no more.

We considered Springdale Utah as a possible retirement area, and are glad that we chose AR instead. We have family now in Hurricane UT so will be visiting there later this year, (Covid permitting).
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-17-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    One thing I have read recently about Zion is that most of the park is now closed to cars....We considered that place as a possible retirement area, and are glad that we chose AR instead.
    Will have to check that regarding Zion. They did that to cars in '19 during the construction of the Pikes Peak visitor's center. They let a small number of early morning cages go all the way to the top but, there was virtually no parking so most cars had to park at a couple of lots and take shuttle buses to the summit. Bicycles (gluttons for punishment) and motorcycles were allowed all the way up but, again, all we could do was a circle at the top because of the construction.

We went through AR both ways on our '19 CO tour and really enjoyed the roads we were on, particularly the Pig Trail. I plan to maybe do our '22 tour there.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The last time I was there was in the 90's and you could only drive in so far and then it was buses the rest of the way. One
    of the issues of being too popular, and too few roads.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Paul (Pegasus1300) has it nailed. One other thing to keep in mind is some of the smaller towns in Utah pretty much close down on Sundays. Plan ahead for that. I got caught short of supplies (rum and coke) one year in Loa, Utah on a Sunday...... Utah, overall, is one of the best motorcycle touring states. Friendly people and pretty good drivers. Enjoy..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Definitely ride Highway 12.
    Bryce Canyon to Torrey on Hwy#12 is by far the best in Utah Jay. Give me a shout when you do this and I might join you. It has been a while. How are things in Charlotte

Jack

P.S. Just got my Covid Shot
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Hi Jack! Will do on the Bryce - Torrey ride. Things are pretty much the same as lots of other places, Covid cases going up like crazy. I too got my first shot and am scheduled for second in three weeks. Stay safe.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

As you know just about any place in Utah is great riding. Getting my second shot on Feb. 12th. Getting "antsy" to take a Spyder Ryde! Did not attend St. George either.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Yeah we missed you. Are you coming this year?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze