Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for camcorder mic suggestions

I've got an older Sony HDR-XR200 camcorder. The camcorder works well and I don't shoot nearly enough videos to purchase a new one. If you've watched any of my videos, you know traffic around my house is LOUD. I'm looking for an external microphone that will help. Ideally, I'd get a wireless lapel mic but my particular camcorder doesn't have a 1/4"/3.5mm plug. An external mic can only be run by the hot shoe. Sony makes a hot shoe compatible shotgun mic which may work but I want to see if anyone knows of a better solution before I go that route. I'm not willing to spend a ton of money. The few videos I shoot aren't money makers and I'd rather spend my money on bills and/or my bike.

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

I had the shotgun mic on a previous Sony camcorder. I don't think that solution will help you with the traffic noises. They focus the pick-up forward but there's still plenty of side & rear noises. A wired or BT mic will be much quieter than open-air focusing.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I had the shotgun mic on a previous Sony camcorder. I don't think that solution will help you with the traffic noises. They focus the pick-up forward but there's still plenty of side & rear noises. A wired or BT mic will be much quieter than open-air focusing.
    I was kind of afraid of that which is why I didn't order one yet. Since Sony seems to have been the ONLY camcorder mfg to offer the hot shoe compatible audio, there's not much out there aftermarket. Everything I've looked at needs to be plugged in to a 1/4"/3.5mm jack. I don't have one. I DO have an A/V R port but honestly, I don't even know what that's for. (I should probably partner w/Mr. Google on that, eh?)

Thanks.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I was kind of afraid of that which is why I didn't order one yet. Since Sony seems to have been the ONLY camcorder mfg to offer the hot shoe compatible audio, there's not much out there aftermarket. Everything I've looked at needs to be plugged in to a 1/4"/3.5mm jack. I don't have one. I DO have an A/V R port but honestly, I don't even know what that's for. (I should probably partner w/Mr. Google on that, eh?)

Thanks.
    Any hot shoe to 3.5mm adapters out there anywhere? Maybe you can fashion a HS adapter.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Any hot shoe to 3.5mm adapters out there anywhere? Maybe you can fashion a HS adapter.
    Great idea but it appears there was only (1) adapter out there but it doesn't seem to be available any longer.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I thought maybe I could find something for you, but you are, indeed, pretty much SOL. The only thing I could find are some listings for the sony ecm-hst1 and ECM-HGZ1 shoe mounted mics on eBay. There are wireless mics available on eBay, the ECM-HW2, but they are $300+. Shoe adapters are available, but they are all cold shoes, i.e., have no electrical connections.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, I appreciate that you took a little bit of time to try to help. I think I'm SOL, too. Either I buy an upgraded camcorder (which isn't likely), I move to the country (which is more likely but not any time soon), I use my phone (just bought a new one that should be here in a couple of weeks...maybe it will filter out traffic sounds better) or I stop making videos (most likely scenario).

Thanks, again.