Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate Seat RTL 2020/2021 ready end Feb!

I email them and here is what they said: Our new seats for the RT will be ready end of February; Our new seats are a one pc which replaces the complete oem seat set.
    Our passenger backrest is also redesigned to give the passenger more room and more back angle than the oem.

Spyder Garage

Thanks!

Sent you a PM Warfels. Not strictly about this, but worth a read. Just click on the blinking red 'Notifications' button up the top right of every page to go to your inbox, then on the msg title to open it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-15-2021 at 04:10 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

One piece?
    I wonder if it opens like the 2010 - 2019 RT seats. I like the two piece seat as I don't have to remove anything on the passenger seat to get gas. Maybe it will have a gas door it.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I was wondering the same thing
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

My guess would be one seat in two pieces, they always has the gas door as an option. I'll post any updates I get and I'll ride over to their shop in Daytona when they come ou

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If it moves me back a couple of inches, I'd be interested, one piece or 2. If not, They can make it in (12) pieces for all I care.

Spyder Garage

in May 2015 I bought a '14 RT. The factory seat should have been tried for murder. After a 300 mile bone shaking trip I bought (the next day) the Ultimate one piece seat with the optional gas door (a very very smart choice). The first of several great after market products. I now have 50K miles on the seat. As comfortable as it was on the first day. There are many similar stories about other after market seats but my story is about the Ultimate seat. Needless to say, but I will any way, I recommend the Ultimate seat. (FYI , the backrest comes with it and I'm told it is comfortable...)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    in May 2015 I bought a '14 RT. The factory seat should have been tried for murder. After a 300 mile bone shaking trip I bought (the next day) the Ultimate one piece seat with the optional gas door (a very very smart choice). The first of several great after market products. I now have 50K miles on the seat. As comfortable as it was on the first day. There are many similar stories about other after market seats but my story is about the Ultimate seat. Needless to say, but I will any way, I recommend the Ultimate seat. (FYI , the backrest comes with it and I'm told it is comfortable...)
    AMEN

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    If it moves me back a couple of inches, I'd be interested, one piece or 2. If not, They can make it in (12) pieces for all I care.
    Yep, yep, yep..... my thoughts exactly, Monk. I’d even settle for 1”up and 1”back

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yep, yep, yep..... my thoughts exactly, Monk. I’d even settle for 1”up and 1”back

Pete
    You want 1" up cuz you're 9' tall. I don't want to go any higher but I'd love to scoot back a couple inches. If I could do that, it would be the perfect positioning (for me).

Spyder Garage

Update - a may be a couple more months, it looks like it is going to be a one piece with the compete seat rises up. It also will come with gas door

Spyder Garage

The sales person said it does have a gas door and the seat comes up and has no pole / rod to stop it so you can also continue and the seat comes off. It also seams to be the same price point. The salesman think there will be one at Bike week. If they have one I'll ride over and get a picture.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warfels View Post
    The sales person said it does have a gas door and the seat comes up and has no pole / rod to stop it so you can also continue and the seat comes off.
    Wait a minute. So you'd basically be removing the seat every time you lifted it up??? Even with a gas door (which I happen to think detracts from the look of the bike), I'm not sure that's a great idea. I have a 2021 base model so every so often, I lift the drivers seat to check the air pressure on the rear bag. Sometimes, I even do this in the middle of a trip.

Spyder Garage

No you don't have to remove the seat to get gas. It should work the same way the older rt seat works (used gas door or left seat). They may have made it easier to remove the seat if you need to.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    IMO, OEM seats are torture units designed to get you to buy an additional upline seat. In most cases, 50 to 75 miles was when I reached my fun quotient.

I have replaced six out of seven OEM seats on Spyders. The jury is out on #7. Linda is still comfortable after 100 miles.

That said, I have replaced OEM with two different Corbins (a total of 55K miles). I am one of the few that like the "supportive" Corbins. I have replaced three others with the BRP Comfort seat versions. And finally, I replaced the OEM on my 19 F3L with the Cannonball...which I am not totally happy with. Not much improvement from OEM...but okay for now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I put 60K (best one day was 800 miles) with a ultimate seat on a yamaha, I cant wait for the new seat to come out of production. A friend has on on 2015 and said it made a big difference. The new ultimate will be around $1k close to the price for a Can Am Touring replacement seat. If anyone wants to replace the foam on the stock seat let me know in a couple months I'll sale my stock seats cheap. Got less than 3000 miles on them

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The new ultimate will be around $1k close to the price for a Can Am Touring replacement seat.
    The 2020+ RT Comfort seat is about $725. If you (or someone else) have/has a base model as I do, you'll need to get under there every so often to check/add air to the rear suspension. If you also have the heat function, a 1 piece seat (with no gas strut which would make sense since the 2020+ RT seats don't hinge at the very back by the trunk), would have to come completely off. You would also have to unplug the heat wires. Also, when I fuel, I lay the gas cap on the plastic under the seat instead of leaving it hang down to scratch the tupperware. Not sure how that would work with a gas door, especially if I've got gloves on.

Spyder Garage

You would lift the seat up as far as you need to put gas in. You would not need to take the seat of. I assume the 2020 / 21 seat is going to be like the 2019. I think the new seat will give better access under the seat. You can rise it as high as you to. If they have a demo seat at bike week I'll post pictures

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You would lift the seat up as far as you need to put gas in. You would not need to take the seat of. I assume the 2020 / 21 seat is going to be like the 2019. I think the new seat will give better access under the seat. You can rise it as high as you to. If they have a demo seat at bike week I'll post pictures
    Bear in mind, the previous generation seat was hinged at the far rear. You could easily lift up the seat as much as you wanted (gas strut or not) to get under the seat. The only seat that's hinged on the current generation is the drivers seat. If you lift up a 1 piece seat on the current generation, 1) there's nothing to hold it up and 2) there's nothing to support it so it would tend to fall off. Not sure if a 1 piece seat on a current gen RT makes a lot of sense.

Spyder Garage

I want to correct what I said. The people at Ultimate Seats said it comes with a gas door. If you open the seat you can take it off. Sounds like the only way to put in gas is via the door. I ask them if the put something under the back seat to hinge it up. They said it sides under the tab that is there for our current back seat. I love ultimate seats, as they say "you sit in the seat not on it" I have had two the the pasted. I put 60,000 miles on one and loved it.

Here is their description of the 2019 Can Am seat:

Our Ultimate Spyder RT Seats (2019) are designed to provide the driver and passenger with proper lateral support for the butt cheeks and a deeper bucket in the seat for more secure cornering. You sit in our seat, not on it. In the driver portion of the seat, both seats are 17 inches wide and have a built in 7 inches high lower back support... so when you twist that throttle open, the seat gives you full support. In the passenger seat, both seats are 15 inches wide and provide full support around the butt. Both seats are also designed with correct nose angle, which prevents you from sliding forward.

Our Midrider seat will sit you at the same height and same distance to the handlebars as the stock seat.

Our Tall Boy seat will sit you at the same height as the stock seat and one and a half inches further back from the handlebars compared to the stock seat. The Tall Boy ;was designed for tall or large drivers and will help if you feel to cramped with your stock seat position.

I'm on the sales manager list for when they come in. Does anyone know of anybody else who are making seats for RTL 2020?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They said it sides under the tab that is there for our current back seat.

That's the problem. If you lift up the seat, it may come lose and/or fall off the bike. When adding/checking the rear suspension air on the base model, it takes (2) hands. You'd need someone else to hold the seat up or completely remove it. If you don't have the heated seat option, it would only be slightly inconvenient. If you add the heated seat option (on the base) or if you have a Limited, you'd have to unhook the wiring.

Here is their description of the 2019 Can Am seat:

Bear in mind that the 2010-2019 seats aren't anything like the 2020+ seats other than the color of the vinyl.

Our Tall Boy seat will sit you at the same height as the stock seat and one and a half inches further back from the handlebars compared to the stock seat. The Tall Boy ;was designed for tall or large drivers and will help if you feel to cramped with your stock seat position.

That's the only part that I'm stoked about. I really need to move a couple inches back to be truly comfortable. That's the only reason I'm even remotely interested in the seat and the only reason why I'm still following this thread.

Does anyone know of anybody else who are making seats for RTL 2020?

You got me there, bro. Other than the custom seat builders (i.e. Seth Laam and Russell Day Long), I don't think anyone makes an aftermarket seat.
    The other possible concern (other than the price which I'm sure won't be cheap) is a backrest (or lack thereof). I'm one of those that HAS to have a good backrest. I'm sure the new seat won't accomodate either the Utopia (which is by far my choice) or the BuRP backrest. I can see Ultimate providing their own proprietary backrest but I'm sure it won't be cheap. We'll see what the final product and price is.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-04-2021 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Removed colour/quote display conflicts

Spyder Garage

They said it would be the same price point as 2019 - ~$1000 with backrest plus taxes. It is a great price compared to Can Am touring seat

Spyder Garage

FYI they now have them listed on their site

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doesn't appear they offer a tall rider position. That was the ONLY reason I was even remotely interested. Guess I'm out.