Spyder Garage

Default I Motorsports and purchase.

Called I Motorsports about a new purchase and would like some feedback. Asked for Nancy who was recommended by some on this site. (Elmhurst location) She is no longer there. Talked to Jessika who seems to be good and

knowledgable. Anyone purchased from them recently? They deliver and pick up trade. The paper work would be my major concern.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never purchased from them but I almost did. Whatever you do, DO NOT talk to Mike. I think, had I dealt with someone else, I would have bought from them. He's a shyster, typical used car dealer with no sense of customer service. He's difficult to reach, too.

ARTraveler just bought bike number 3 (4?) from them. Hopefully, he'll chime in shortly on the paperwork side of things.

Spyder Garage

AR T here:

My experience with iMotorsports has been good. I have dealt with Orlando Rios twice. I have purchased two Spyders from them in the last year. Have had no problem with paperwork issues and both times they picked up my trade in (at a fair price). They know what they are doing and Thomas Palmer (the finance guy) is easy to deal with on the paperwork issues.

I tried local dealers when I moved to AR in 2019 and they did not want to deal. The price was the price. I have had better luck with iMoto. Buying by mail can be a bit scary, but two out of two have worked for me.

Our latest arrived two days ago...as ordered.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-15-2021 at 08:52 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I purchased my 2021 spyder rt dealt with Jessica everything was smooth but the delivery was bit delayed.
    I guessed the delivery has to set aside untill other buyers which head it to same direction.
    Mine I had to waited almost a month delivered to my door. Other than that definitely recommend.

Spyder Garage

Well I have purchased and traded twice with iMotorsports. Each time was a very pleasant experience. On both of my purchases I went right to the top and dealt with Haider Saba which is the owner at iMotorsports. I was dealing with Jason but he wasn't as willing to come off the prices as Haider was. I also dealt with the finance guy, Thomas Palmer during my last purchase, as it was financed. Both times very easy to deal with. In my opinion a first class operation.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

I got a price on a new one just last month. Not sure who I spoke with but he wouldn't budge on the price, I purchased elsewhere as I do not have time to play silly games.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you all for your replies. Very Helpful as I am a bit reluctant to deal/deliver/computer/trade with a long distance dealer. I was told that they charge IL sales tax of .056 even though I will register myself here in this state. In Arizona only the difference between sales price and trade in is taxed. Do not know if this is true or not in IL. Anyone know?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems like they charge tax in all states now even thru the internet , even if you dont live in that state.

Found this online. Not sure if this helps?

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/resear...trrc/st-58.pdf

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought my RTS from them in August 2016 and the only thing I didn't like was the waiting for the mail and everything to clear. I think it took around 3 weeks start to finish. Other than that everything worked out great.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Paper work a pain in the ass. Send it to you fill out notarize send back.
    Got the spyder was filthy glue adhesive all over. None of the accessories i ordered were on it.
    Sent after had to install myself. Bolt was stripped on footboard. Pain to get out.
    Delt with Jason and Orlando. Wouldn't do again!

Spyder Garage

My experience with sales tax. They send me the Certificate of Origin. I take that to the DMV. Sales tax is charged at that time and is based on the difference between the trade in and the price. AR collects the sales tax at the time the new plates are issued.

The sales tax document that I got from them ST-556 shows IL sales tax due of $0. They checked off the Exempt from sales tax to a non-resident box and indicated I will be paying AR sales tax.

Just got an e-mail from iMoto. My COO will be here UPS Express no later than Wednesday 1/20.

This is what happened on both my purchases so far.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-15-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My experience with IMotorsports was not the greatest to say the least.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Called I Motorsports about a new purchase and would like some feedback. Asked for Nancy who was recommended by some on this site. (Elmhurst location) She is no longer there. Talked to Jessika who seems to be good and

knowledgable. Anyone purchased from them recently? They deliver and pick up trade. The paper work would be my major concern.

Jack
    Jessica wouldn't waive fees for me. 595 in freight 299 set up and 300 doc . I'm still on the fence buying from them or just going local. Here in CA, they all seem to be MSRP or walk.

Spyder Garage

Default Sales tax

Thank you all for your replies. Very Helpful as I am a bit reluctant to deal/deliver/computer/trade with a long distance dealer. I was told that they charge IL sales tax of .056 even though I will register myself here in this state. In Arizona only the difference between sales price and trade in is taxed. Do not know if this is true or not in IL. Anyone know?

Jack
    I cannot speak to AZ law but yes when I bought my RTL from iMotorsports last June, the Illinois sales tax was charged only on the difference between the purchase price of the new bike and my trade in. I received a form that CA accepted as credit, and all I paid CA was their normal fees plus the difference in tax between IL and CA. Don't get me wrong, the tax rates are quite different but I did not pay sales tax on any amount twice.

The best help I got from anyone at iMotorsports was from Thomas Palmer. He was extremely helpful, even picking up the slack my salesman created. I had to be a bit patient on delivery, but Bakersfield is a long way from Chicago so I understand some delay. When the new RTL arrived, it was rolled off the trailer, my ST rolled on in its place, and the driver was here and gone in less than 30 minutes. The RTL itself was perfect except for some dust from the trip, even though it was in an enclosed trailer. A quick little wash and all was well. The temporary IL registration was still good for 3 more weeks.

A few days after I received the Spyder, Thomas mailed me the Certificate of Origin from BRP, which is essentially the title document to establish the chain of possession from factory to buyer. With that, the bill of sale and the certificate for IL taxes paid, I went to CA DMV a few days later. The only problem there was that I had to show the inspector the stamped VIN and I couldn't find it from the directions in the owner's manual. Turns out for 2019 it is on a small vertical piece of the frame between the right front axle and the radiator, and it's not very visible even when you know where to find it. The engine number is easy to see once you remove the left side access cover with the grill.

BTW, all US Spyders meet emissions for all 50 states, and the label under the seat specifically says it meets CA standards. I know that's not something you need to prove, but it's there in any case.

So, in sum, I had a few days of nail biting because I'd never done anything like this before, but other than a few hiccups and short delays it all worked out just fine. You can read the thread on my purchase here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ted-on-the-way

Good luck with whatever you decide,
    Bob
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Seems like they charge tax in all states now even thru the internet , even if you dont live in that state.

Found this online. Not sure if this helps?

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/resear...trrc/st-58.pdf
    Thank you that was very helpful. Seems a handful of states do not have reciprocal sale tax agreements and AZ, CA etc. do not.Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RideOn View Post
    I cannot speak to AZ law but yes when I bought my RTL from iMotorsports last June, the Illinois sales tax was charged only on the difference between the purchase price of the new bike and my trade in. I received a form that CA accepted as credit, and all I paid CA was their normal fees plus the difference in tax between IL and CA. Don't get me wrong, the tax rates are quite different but I did not pay sales tax on any amount twice.

The best help I got from anyone at iMotorsports was from Thomas Palmer. He was extremely helpful, even picking up the slack my salesman created. I had to be a bit patient on delivery, but Bakersfield is a long way from Chicago so I understand some delay. When the new RTL arrived, it was rolled off the trailer, my ST rolled on in its place, and the driver was here and gone in less than 30 minutes. The RTL itself was perfect except for some dust from the trip, even though it was in an enclosed trailer. A quick little wash and all was well. The temporary IL registration was still good for 3 more weeks.

A few days after I received the Spyder, Thomas mailed me the Certificate of Origin from BRP, which is essentially the title document to establish the chain of possession from factory to buyer. With that, the bill of sale and the certificate for IL taxes paid, I went to CA DMV a few days later. The only problem there was that I had to show the inspector the stamped VIN and I couldn't find it from the directions in the owner's manual. Turns out for 2019 it is on a small vertical piece of the frame between the right front axle and the radiator, and it's not very visible even when you know where to find it. The engine number is easy to see once you remove the left side access cover with the grill.

BTW, all US Spyders meet emissions for all 50 states, and the label under the seat specifically says it meets CA standards. I know that's not something you need to prove, but it's there in any case.

So, in sum, I had a few days of nail biting because I'd never done anything like this before, but other than a few hiccups and short delays it all worked out just fine. You can read the thread on my purchase here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ted-on-the-way

Good luck with whatever you decide,
    Bob
    Thanks Bob, very detailed and helps me to understand these rather complicated transactions. So far about half are satisfied with I Motorsports and half are on the fence or would not do it again. Now I am really confused.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I didn't purchase from them because their price was more than elsewhere. Plus, the paperwork stuff. Salesperson wanted me to travel there to sign papers. I declined and bought my 2020 RT from a moto member. The sales person there was cool. The paperwork was sent overnight air with overnight air return envelope enclosed. It wasn't an entirely smooth experience, but definitely better than imito. The shipping from there to you would probably be outrageous though. Plus, you'd have to arrange it yourself with a company like Uship. I also inquired with a dealer in AR jonesboro cycle. Great prices. Seemed fairly simple to deal with low prices, didn't have to do any haggling. Only went with motomember b/c shipping was slightly less and they swapped my handlebars to the F3 handlebars for free. There was a 3rd dealership in Washington state that also had better out the door prices than imoto. Not sure about their shipping and paper work though. You technically shouldn't pay state tax to an out of state dealer(to my knowledge). You typically pay state tax in your state when registering the vehicle and getting tags.
    Long story short, shopping online can be worrisome, but do your homework, shop around, and find the best deal for you(including shipping and garbage fees). Sometimes it isn't the dealership, it's the staff that makes the experience and deal wirk/not work for you.
    Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

I did the end of summer/fall. Went pretty smooth, just some communication delays. Having to wait for the PDI and then send it to Pa.

Paperwork was easy and did the majority on the phone then they next day it to you/sign as marked and return.

Traded in my 2018 with just some pictures and negotiated a price.

I dealt with the owner originally,then a sale rep and I forgot his name and the finance guy(Thomas) was real easy to deal with also.

Dropped off new one and we did a visual inspection and signed off, then on the trade - took a couple of weeks to get the registration in.

Best price on warranty also, can't believe I paid so much on my 2018 lesson learned!

Good luck!!

IMG_20200922_192808.jpg
    IMG_20200922_193501.jpg
    IMG_20200922_192227.jpg
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now we are local and my Dad as bought several Spyders from them over the years. He has no complaints. Prefers to deal with Jason.

Anyway Good Luck Jack!

Spyder Garage

I am in the process of purchasing one from them. Dealt with Jessica and Thomas in finance and so far all is well. I guess only issue is might have to wait for delivery compared to if I was purchasing locally.
    I did speak with someone at motomember in VA, Paul(?) who was also very informative but never sent me the quote he promised to.
    Beware of the Jonesboro dealer who was trying to sell me a used demo/school bike as new. I wouldn’t mind buying such a bike if the seller is upfront about it, and not claiming 0 miles till the vin is run!
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I dealt with Paul at motomember. He's been very helpful and informative, and has kept lines of communication open with me. I didn't care for their finance person. He ignored my directions and did his own thing. I paid cash for it due to that. I actually was going to buy the demo/3 wheel training unit. It only had ~650 miles on it(I believe). Ended up getting a new 1 of their RT "Plus" units. Paul even tried to help me find a transporter through Uship. I believe he told me he isn't a full time salesperson. He splits his time as an instructor for the 3 wheel training course as well. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Spyder Garage

Let's not turn this discussion into a rant about lousy service. With every business, there are going to be some glitches.

Uninformed sales people and not following through on items can cause a LOT of this.

All of the things I have said in this and other threads are my actual experiences in dealing with iMoto. Being very conservative and a skeptic, It took me 11 years before I was even willing to give them a try. And....the fact that they did not deliver to AK had something to do with it.

I am a straight up person. No one influences my comments about service, quality control, etc. except the company I am dealing with. And...I usually give them the benefit of the doubt before any negative stuff is posted.

BRP does not even know what I will say next. They have had good reviews and some not so good from me.

The bottom line here, I am happy with iMoto. So far they have done everything they said they would do. The only thing hanging from my most recent sale is the Certificate of Origin, and they have already e-mailed me that I should have it no later than Wednesday.

Should you buy or not? That is a choice you will have to make.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-16-2021 at 05:18 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Jack
    I just bought one from them in July. I dealt with numerous people but the most helpful was the owner. they delivered mine and picked up my trade. Paperwork was all thru e-mail. very easy. the only problem was my impatience. I would definately buy from them again.

Spyder Garage

An update from me about the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin.

Mine arrived today as promised by iMotorsports. My transaction now complete. That is two out of two.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    An update from me about the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin.

Mine arrived today as promised by iMotorsports. My transaction now complete. That is two out of two.
    I've bought 5 Spyders from them now and the whole deal takes about an hour. We have many customers that have their bikes delivered to us and we trick them out and they ride them home.