Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default I’ve done it this time...key locked in frunk

RESOLVED - SEE MY LAST POST

Was out riding today and accidentally locked my only key in the frunk...not good...if I get it open, I will get a spare made....

Any thoughts on how to open the frunk of a 2013 RTL without a key?

Spyder Garage

Fish a thin dowel in from the right side while lifting the lid enough to get the stick in. You can reach the release level with the end of the stick.
    I think there are vids on this forum.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Here's what you need to carry in a pocket where it won't ever get tossed in the frunk or you can stash it somewhere on the Spyder in a key holder. It's an Ilco X270 blank that any locksmith can cut to match your chipped key. Bevel the key as shown in the picture and it will allow you to unlock all the locks on the Spyder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Here's what you need to carry in a pocket where it won't ever get tossed in the frunk or you can stash it somewhere on the Spyder win a key holder. It's an Ilco X270 blank that any locksmith can cut to match your chipped key. Bevel the key as shown in the picture and it will allow you to unlock all the locks on the Spyder.
    I had two of these made right after buying my RT. Purpose was so my wife could have a key for the trunk and bags. Now that I have the dreaded DESS disabled these spares will also start the RT.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Fish a thin dowel in from the right side while lifting the lid enough to get the stick in. You can reach the release level with the end of the stick.
    Thanks - I will give this a try tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Here's what you need to carry in a pocket where it won't ever get tossed in the frunk or you can stash it somewhere on the Spyder win a key holder. It's an Ilco X270 blank that any locksmith can cut to match your chipped key. Bevel the key as shown in the picture and it will allow you to unlock all the locks on the Spyder.
    Might even get away without bevel. & here is hopefully helpful info copy& pasted Just in case:

Quote from murphybrown:

Lifestyle Can Am, Mt. Vernon WA
    "Ron saved me. In one of my finer moments I locked both of my F3 keys in the frunk. I was at fair watching my grandsons show their prize hogs. Get ready to go home...and since I ALWAYS (not true anymore) wear my extra Spyder key around my neck...I reached, I patted, I jerked my shirt up...about than I am saying IT CAN"T BE TRUE...stopped, engaged brain an said did I reallly....answer yep. My very skilled Grandson, Owen, was done winning his class with his hog...so he came over laid on the ground. Said no way.
    Enter Iphone and call to Ron at LifeStyle...give phone to grandson and he talks him through how to rescue grannie. Easy peasy once you know what to do..Heck if I ever make than bone headed move again I think this non mechanical Spyder Ryder could "fix it". So who wants to know how?
    Remove the panel that is to left of tank (safety card). Reach in below ignition (where you place key). You will "feel" 3 lines attached. Find the round one, little bit smaller than a pencil..about 1 inch or so from where attached..push down as someone pushes on frunk (my assigned job) where latches. POP and there layed 2 keys!!! Thank you OWEN. Lifestyle Can Am are part of the GREAT DEALER list...they are many hours away from me. Yep Yep winner winner."

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Any thoughts on where to put it on a 2020 RTL? I keep a key in my wallet, but I'd rather hide it on the bike.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you don't always turn the handle bars which locks the glove box when removing the key,, Thought of taping an extra key to the glove box where they have the operating instruction decal,, Just a thought!! NO ONE ever reads the Operators Instructions these days:

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Any thoughts on where to put it on a 2020 RTL? I keep a key in my wallet, but I'd rather hide it on the bike.
    Dunno how smart your crims are over there, but here in Oz, if you can even THINK of a place to hide a spare key on a vehicle, then (if they decide they want your vehicle, of course! ) the crims WILL find it, and PDQ at that!! Because of that, Insurance companies here have started reducing payouts for stolen vehicles where a key was left with the vehicle - fairly significantly if you actually left the keys in the ignition etc; and not quite as significantly but still enough to make replacing your stolen machine a costly exercise if you left a key 'secreted' anywhere on the vehicle!!

Altho I guess that simply because it's a Spyder with a 'not quite simple' starting procedure, a niche market, & limited 'fencing' options, that's probably a reasonably effective protection anyway.

But I still wouldn't leave a key anywhere on your Spyder - not all crims are incompetents! . And I'd bet that if they are interested in Spyders, there'll even be some of these low-lives doing their 'pre-theiving' homework on Forum's like this as well as all the Facebook pages etc!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-15-2021 at 12:07 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Zip tie or bailing wire somewhere under panel by dip stick. Still too warm area for tape, or get overly creative & rather large gremlin bell tie to clapper
    Chip less spare in wallet or somewhere off bike but every day carry item elementary days lace in shoelaces Trusted person only a phone call away, many options

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    ..... I've opened quite a few RT's and GR-RS- RSS .... when you do this you will be facing the Spyder so it's actually the left side ..... Have something you can wedge in the upper left corner to keep that corner of the frunk lid as far open as possible ( 2-3 inches ) you will have to get under that small blk triangular cover to get to the Lever..... I used a thin metal strip, but a thin dowel dowel ( 1/4 - 3/16 ) about 16inches long should work ...... before you attempt go to a parts site ( cheapcycle.com ) and look at the fiche' that shows the Latch .... the long Lever is what you want to push...... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Lots of places under headlight sections where you fill radiator.

Spyder Garage

No reason you can't put a very small key box hidden somewhere under the panels and secure it there with one of the smaller 4 number combination locks (like the TSA locks). You can get them with reset-able combinations. Most any hardware store has them. You can also keep other emergency items in the box. If it is under some of the panel and out of sight, it is not real likely anybody will be trying to cut the lock off. All you need to get the panels off of mine is torx driver. A non chipped key that won't start the engine, hidden on the bike should not be much risk.

2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    We used to drill out the hole for the key ring and place the key on the backside of the license plate. Tighten the license plate with a screw or bolt that can be undone with a dime. That is a sure place to have it, and not a good place for a thief to look.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    We used to drill out the hole for the key ring and place the key on the backside of the license plate. Tighten the license plate with a screw or bolt that can be undone with a dime. That is a sure place to have it, and not a good place for a thief to look.
    NOW I will!!!
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

You can hide a key or install emergency release cables like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtUDlTER1jc
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is the method I use on all my vehicles...I use stainless bolts and wing nuts...larryd

Spyder Garage

Got it open! I tried going in from the passenger side and trying to push the release lever with a dowel but just could not do it. And, I could not see that well. So, I went to the drivers side and lifted the hood about 2” and then lifted the black panel underneath about 1”...both can be lifted without breaking. A hanger with about 1/2” “L” bend in it was used. You can squint your eyes closely and see the bicycle style cable that leads to the latch. Follow it slowly and go a little past. Gently pull back on the hanger and it will pop right open. I appreciate your help.

Now, to get a programmed spare and a few extra cut keys and I will be set.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefburg View Post
    Got it open! I tried going in from the passenger side and trying to push the release lever with a dowel but just could not do it. And, I could not see that well. So, I went to the drivers side and lifted the hood about 2” and then lifted the black panel underneath about 1”...both can be lifted without breaking. A hanger with about 1/2” “L” bend in it was used. You can squint your eyes closely and see the bicycle style cable that leads to the latch. Follow it slowly and go a little past. Gently pull back on the hanger and it will pop right open. I appreciate your help.

Now, to get a programmed spare and a few extra cut keys and I will be set.
    thanks for the update

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Lesson learned: Have spare keys. I hit up the locksmith for a clone key and also just got an extra that wasn’t programmed just for compartment access. I will have the wife carry it or I will hide it on the bike.

Spyder Garage

Here's what you need to carry in a pocket where it won't ever get tossed in the frunk or you can stash it somewhere on the Spyder in a key holder. It's an Ilco X270 blank that any locksmith can cut to match your chipped key. Bevel the key as shown in the picture and it will allow you to unlock all the locks on the Spyder.
    By bevel, you mean grind a bit thinner ?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    By bevel, you mean grind a bit thinner ?
    No. Grind some off the lower corners of the head of the key so the key can go all the way into the lock. Make it look the same as JayBros key.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    No. Grind some off the lower corners of the head of the key so the key can go all the way into the lock. Make it look the same as JayBros key.
    Ahhh... OK

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

My apology for not being more explicit when I posted the X270 blank picture. When I finally found the blank locally and had it cut to match a chipped key and inserted in the ignition it was immediately obvious it needed an angular bevel to fit all the way down into the ignition lock. Took just a few minutes to bevel it on a bench grinder.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Hahaha..... 23 replies and only 2 of them offering help on how to actually solve Chiefburg’s fairly urgent problem. We are a very helpful lot, but sometimes we do lose focus

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red