Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BaJa Ron’s sway bar install

I ordered Ron’s sway bar this morning for my 2020 RTL, afterwards I started taking the bike apart to take the OEM one off. From a couple vids I’ve watched (not for the 2020) I was expecting a lengthy process. To my surprise it took 15 minutes to take the OEM links and bar off. You start with 2 plastic panels underneath one on each side, each has 3 push pins and 1 screw and that’s it, the bar is right there in front of you. 2, 10mm bolts in each link. 2 more 10 mm bolts about 6” in from the links on each for clearance to tip the bar down on each side and it’s ready for Ron’s. The hardest part is you have to have the bike front end at least 22” high to get the bar out. I was shocked at how easy it is.

Spyder Garage

And I always thought the hardest part was waiting for the new bar to arrive!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

It's easy to install a Bajaron sway bar, even an 84 year old can do it.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

blacklightning and I installed mine. Probably took us 40 minutes but part of that was us 2nd guessing each other. I think the hardest part was getting those washers to stay in place long enough to get the bolt through everything. Getting the new delrin (?) bar "holders" (I don't know what they're called but I'm referring to the (2) pieces that fit around the bar and into the frame) in the frame was a bit frustrating, too. All in all, it wasn't bad. I've watched videos on installing the sway bar on the previous generation RTs. No, thank you. It took Pierre (who works on bikes all the time and has an actual lift) (2) separate videos just to get through it.

Spyder Garage

I held the link spacers in place with a piece of neoprene tubing that is a friction fit in the holes. I then cut it flush with the washers. When the holes are all aligned, the bolt slips through and shoves the tubing out.

DSCN2893.jpg

DSCN2892.jpg

DSCN2883.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    And I always thought the hardest part was waiting for the new bar to arrive!
    Yep mine shipped today!
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I think the hardest part was getting those washers to stay in place long enough to get the bolt through everything.
    Duly noted. And we are working on a universal solution for this somewhat aggravating situation. Something along the lines of what RICZ did with the necessary components included in the kit.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used a very small tip pair of needle nose pliers. Worked very well.
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Duly noted. And we are working on a universal solution for this somewhat aggravating situation. Something along the lines of what RICZ did with the necessary components included in the kit.
    I will find out all about this next week. Maybe a drop of super glue or a couple spots of rubberized Welders Glue that I have on hand, if I can not easily find a piece of tubing the right size. Another guy in the park is going to bring by his truck and 8' loading ramps for me to drive up on when ready is slide out the OEM bar and slide in the HD one, then back down and back onto my blocks.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Snoking1127.....I can mail the tubing pieces to you. Just say the word in a PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RICZ, you’re not only a smart man, but a kind man also! That’s what makes this a good forum. What I have done in the past for like problems is to put a bit of grease in the freezer and it will get a bit tacky to hold hard to get to washers in place. Plus, it’s pre greased when done! cueman

Spyder Garage

When I installed my sway bar I used wax to hold the washers in place while still allowing some wiggle room. Grease will do the same job just a little messy. Wax sticks are used for lubricating drill bits when drilling steel and aluminum.

Spyder Garage

Great post guys, my sway bar is on the way and I appreciate the suggestions.
    2021 S2S , Green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Snoking1127.....I can mail the tubing pieces to you. Just say the word in a PM.
    Thanks for the offer, however I have lots of options available up to and including turning a wooden dowel in a lathe in the parks wood shop. A little dab of E6000 tacky glue I have will do it also.

Spyder Garage

Should indicate the toque specs instead of a word SNUG tight. Especially manual said too much tight it will crack the aluminum space washer.

Spyder Garage

What does this sway bar do?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The stronger/thicker/bigger the anti-sway bar is, the better it will control body lean in corners without unduly affecting ride quality.
    BajaRon's anti-sway bar does a much better job at controlling body lean than the OEM.
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

The sway bar links the front wheels together so when 1 moves up or down, it pulls the other side the same direction. This effectively takes away a lot of body lean so the can-am is more stabile on rougher surfaces.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

This bar will preventing seatbelt.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Supercrawler View Post
    This bar will preventing seatbelt.
    Eh???
    Peggy and Howard

Spyder Garage

Bajaron's sway bar turns a good handling Spyder into a wild ass go cart. Yee Haw!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Bajaron's sway bar turns a good handling Spyder into a wild ass go cart. Yee Haw!
    I am hoping for a good handling Spyder turned into a senior's fun go cart. If we get another stimulus check, I will do the shock adjusters next.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I am hoping for a good handling Spyder turned into a senior's fun go cart. If we get another stimulus check, I will do the shock adjusters next.
    I am way past being a senior - I am now an artifact.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    I will find out all about this next week. Maybe a drop of super glue or a couple spots of rubberized Welders Glue that I have on hand, if I can not easily find a piece of tubing the right size. Another guy in the park is going to bring by his truck and 8' loading ramps for me to drive up on when ready is slide out the OEM bar and slide in the HD one, then back down and back onto my blocks.
    Super glue works great!! Used it when I installed mine.

Cheers

Spyder Garage

Yep, I am out 7 years out of warranty !