Spyder Garage

Default Should I lubricate grommet?

I just installed a new sway bar on my new to me 2015 RT yesterday. I got a lot of guidance from a youtube video by Can-Am Spyder Accessories. In the video the installer suggested spraying "a little white grease" on the grommets that hold the snap on panels in place thus making it easier to remove these panels next time. When I changed engine oil a month ago I lubed the grommets with a little shot of Windex and everything glided back into place smoothly but I removing a couple of those same panels yesterday and it was a struggle.
    The question is, should I follow the video tip and put a grease on the grommet and probably collect dirt or just leave it factory dry and threated to break off panel tabs with each removal.
    You folks on this forum have lots of practical experience that I might as well tap into, even if my question is pretty trivial.

Spyder Garage

I find grease on the grommets make for much easier removal and reinstallation of the panels. Also keeps them from drying out and eventually tearing and breaking. Not a trivial question.
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Lite Film

I have used a very lite film of grease on the 'tabs'. Remember less is best. Some people have said that they have issues with the panels coming off 'ryding on the road'.

Good Luck on Your Mission. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I shoot a little 3M Aerospace 303 on mine. I have used it on tires for years and on our boats for anything plastic or rubber. Use it on the dash and interior of vehicles, and have never had a cracked dash. It is pretty universally recommended to NOT use petroleum products on rubber. If you use grease maybe it should be a synthetic grease. Aerospace 303 seems to do the job well. They go on easy and later come off OK(not fall off ok), and not hard to get off like RedRover's Windex experience.

Windex® Original Glass Cleaner
    Water Water. Provides a liquid base for a product.
    2-Hexoxyethanol Cleaning Agent. ...
    Isopropanolamine Cleaning Agent. ...
    Ammonium Hydroxide Cleaning Agent. ...
    Lauryl Dimethyl Amine Oxide Wetting Agent. ...
    Sodium Dodecylbenzene Sulfonate Wetting Agent. ...
    Fragrance Fragrance. ...
    Liquitint® Sky Blue Dye Dye.

Several of these items are not good for rubber.

Chris
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Way too many people have had the panels fly off at high speed so I would recommend spitting on the grommet for lube,it will dry and then be less likely to come off.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Ann Meyer of Squared Away tipped me off to the Windex spritz a number of years ago and I'm a firm believer in it. It dries very quickly and the grommets then have a tight grip on the pins. I don't believe in grease of any kind on them.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

With grease it's: Easy on - Easy fly off. Do what JayBros said.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't do it. I lubed grommets on a previous bike with a silicone lube and I had to buy new grommets.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With all due respect, I have been using a silicone lube product for years with no problems on rubber and plastic items with nairly a problem. Maybe a different product than others have used. It works for me and protects the said items from weather cracking. cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    With all due respect, I have been using a silicone lube product for years with no problems on rubber and plastic items with nairly a problem. Maybe a different product than others have used. It works for me and protects the said items from weather cracking. cueman
    Me too. I was surprised when my grommets got trashed after applying a silicone lube. There must have been something it.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I've a can of silicone spray but just never considered using it because the Windex is closer. My objection is to any kind of petroleum lubrication product. Changed oil and filter last week and got a good look at the grommets; all are in good shape after 6+ years and 70K+ miles.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Windex, spray wax or detailer all work much better than a lube that will stay there and attract dirt and dust. IMHO
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

No question is trivial.
    There's no such thing as a stupid question. Only stupid answers.

Your original choice of using windex is, in my opinion, one of the best imaginable.
    The panels go in easy but they're hard to come off.
    That's the way it should be.

If you search the forum, you'll find NUMEROUS posts (including mine) of people who had to spend good money replacing panels that fell off after simply hitting a bump.
    Some of us, including me, actually installed velcro to the panels to be sure they only came off when you needed them off.

So, in my opinion, it's good to put some kind of lubricant on the grommets when installing the panels, but you want a lubricant like windex or some other soap that will dry up and go away so that the grommets will hold the panels firmly after installation.
    I always just used spit....................
    If you use a grease, then it's easy on, but way too easy OFF.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong, and It's a moral certitude that someone on this forum will let me know if I am.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

“The panels go in easy but they're hard to come off.” Hey ThreeWheels, you just got me to thinking. How about hand sanitizer? I just used it the other day on my hand grips! cueman

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    “The panels go in easy but they're hard to come off.” Hey ThreeWheels, you just got me to thinking. How about hand sanitizer? I just used it the other day on my hand grips! cueman
    You must of purchased it before covid-19 arrived. Try to find it now? That is why I used Aerospace 303 to install my foam hand grips. They do not move at all once I got them installed.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

I agree with ThreeWheels but only used spit once; have better aim with Windex. IMO you absolutely want the panels to be hard to pull out of the grommets.

I used hand sanitizer about five years ago to install my grips and they haven't moved at all. It was recommended by the vendor, but again I think Windex would be easier.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

A little bit of saliva applied with a finger tip. Done ...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Agree with hand sanitizer

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I agree with ThreeWheels but only used spit once; have better aim with Windex. IMO you absolutely want the panels to be hard to pull out of the grommets.

I used hand sanitizer about five years ago to install my grips and they haven't moved at all. It was recommended by the vendor, but again I think Windex would be easier.

I've had good luck with hand sanitizer too. Wet, parts just slip into place. Once it dries, the attachment is firmly in place with no slipping.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    A little bit of saliva applied with a finger tip. Done ...
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RedRover View Post
    I just installed a new sway bar on my new to me 2015 RT yesterday. I got a lot of guidance from a youtube video by Can-Am Spyder Accessories. In the video the installer suggested spraying "a little white grease" on the grommets that hold the snap on panels in place thus making it easier to remove these panels next time. When I changed engine oil a month ago I lubed the grommets with a little shot of Windex and everything glided back into place smoothly but I removing a couple of those same panels yesterday and it was a struggle.
    The question is, should I follow the video tip and put a grease on the grommet and probably collect dirt or just leave it factory dry and threated to break off panel tabs with each removal.
    You folks on this forum have lots of practical experience that I might as well tap into, even if my question is pretty trivial.
    I'm another who lightly lubed and regretted. When I got home after a high speed run I saw the left panel missing! Lucky for me I retraced my path and found the panel on the shoulder (almost) intact! Shockingly, there was no paint damage but the pin was broken off. I found the pin too and manged to tap a hole and re-attach it with a small screw. Yes, spit or a temporary lube that goes away! I check my panels all the time before a ride, esp. at highway speeds!
    2018 RT Limited , OXFORD BLUE METALLIC Dark Edition

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On my Goldwing I used to use a very small amount of vaseline on the grommet. It was easy on and not stuck for off, but not subject to wind release either.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Same with my past 2006 Goldwing traded in 2018. 40,000 miles and original well lubricated rubber grommets, never a problem and never had to be replaced.
    2021 RT LTD Petrol Blue DARK delivered 9/22/20
    New Engine @ 500 miles 4/8/21 - 5/21 due to oil leak in block
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...400-miles-HELP
    2018 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm with the spit crowd. Spit goes both ways. I have to spit on my fingers just to turn a page on the newspaper.