Spyder Garage

Default Laser Alignment - Any comments pro or con?

2020 F3-T with no apparent handling issues with ~3,000 miles. I read positive reviews about getting these three wheel vehicles laser aligned and that noticeable handling improvements usually are the results. Any comments pro or con?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seagravesg View Post
    2020 F3-T with no apparent handling issues with ~3,000 miles. I read positive reviews about getting these three wheel vehicles laser aligned and that noticeable handling improvements usually are the results. Any comments pro or con?
    The results are only as good as the person performing the alignment. Also, pricing seems to be all the spectrum. In short, yes.... it’s critical to have a machine properly aligned.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

If you're tracking well in a straight line (no wander), you may be close enough to not 'need' the laser but it can only benefit handling if done right. I paid $100 in NY last Nov.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Checked with dealer and they do laser alignment with BRP system = $375. Think I'll wait until I can run across Squared Away or ROLO, etc. These are two that report to be good services and no more pricey. And sometimes they are mobile.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow, $375 for alignment. Is it just me, or is that waaaay over the top?
    Peggy and Howard

Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S SM5

His: 1999 Honda VFR Interceptor

Spyder Garage

YES, wait till you can ROLO equipment. take the spyder in some good turns with dry pavement, if you need to constantly work handle bars to keep a straight even curve, you will need ROLO align. after mine was done, easier to flow thru a turn with minimal movement of bar work
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

squared away around $110-$130, if its good aligned they don't charge
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Sometimes you "don't know what you don't know". I had Joe (Squared Away) align my Spyder a few years ago. If memory serves me, I don't think they charge if alignment is not needed. A good way to tell is, if you can ride down the road using one finger on each handlebar without any wandering, you're probably OK. What I was experiencing is that I was always correcting my line of travel without even knowing. That resulted in more tension and fatigue especially in my shoulder and lower neck muscles. Before the alignment, I just thought everything was normal. After a correct alignment I was in Spyder heaven..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Be aware that when its new rear tyre time if ham fisted Harry fits it your alignment is in jeopardy.
    Don't touch the adjusters and make sure the axle hasn't crept out of line when tightening the nut. Reason being the front wheels are aligned to the rear wheel not the frame.
    In theory an alignment lasts forever or until there are wear factors involved.
    That they don't come factory aligned is one of the seven wonders of the world
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seagravesg View Post
    Checked with dealer and they do laser alignment with BRP system = $375. Think I'll wait until I can run across Squared Away or ROLO, etc. These are two that report to be good services and no more pricey. And sometimes they are mobile.
    BRP doesn't do " lazer alignment " some dealers do have and offer it.... but it isn't from BRP ...... to the best of my past knowledge ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default lazer alignment

BRP didn't have a great track record on Spyders being " aligned " from the factory. .... I've owned three and only one didn't need to be aligned...... if you don't have it checked ( by the lazer method ) , it may handle OK , but if you see more Wear on the outside of the front tires .... it isn't aligned properly ..... really bad cases will show up at about 5,000 mi. Mike

Spyder Garage

My belt is running a bit closer then what people say it should. However before and now really with the Federal Formoza's it tracks very straight. I run Cruise Control a lot and just rest my hands on the handle bar grips, running mile after mile with very little input. I was going to adjust the belt gap a little wider, however reading cobwebs post I think I will leave it alone for now. The rear tire has a few thousand miles left in it.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    BRP didn't have a great track record on Spyders being " aligned " from the factory. .... I've owned three and only one didn't need to be aligned...... if you don't have it checked ( by the lazer method ) , it may handle OK , but if you see more Wear on the outside of the front tires .... it isn't aligned properly ..... really bad cases will show up at about 5,000 mi. Mike
    My OEM Kenda's came off at 7500 miles and looked to have very little wear. Which reminds me I have to get that out of the back of the truck. If anyone close by in the Phoenix East valley wants a cheap set send me a PM. I am in Gold Canyon.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Try new tires first. The checkerboard tread pattern on stock Kendas cause it to follow every road irregularity there is.

My Toyo fronts (thanks Mike) are phenomenal.

ftires.jpg
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    Try new tires first. The checkerboard tread pattern on stock Kendas cause it to follow every road irregularity there is.

My Toyo fronts (thanks Mike) are phenomenal.

ftires.jpg
    ..... What ( if any ) fitment issues did you have due to the very wide tread width ???? .... and if so what did you do to compensate ???? ...... those suckers will really PLANT the front end ...... Let us know how much the NANNY reacts .... Mike