Spyder Garage

Default Title and Registration still not here fm purchase end Sept!

So I live in western nc and when I decided to buy my 2020 Spyder RTL I found a dealer in TN that I thought had a good reputation. Sale went well, salesman was great. They weren't so happy that I financed with USAA and not them but I have been with USAA for over 30 years. Sale was in the end of Sept. No tag or registration in Oct nor Nov. Letter from USAA asking where title was. Called the dealer and they said NC DMV was 2 months or more behind. Told that the package arrived in early Oct. In Dec second letter from USAA. I called and explained and they said this was a dealer issue and the letters to me were just for my records. Here it is Mid Jan 2021 and i called NC DMV and they have no record of my VIN number and said if they had received a package from the dealer then the dealer would have a tracking number. So tomorrow I am contacting an attorney . One can never judge a dealer by his reputation. All my research said this dealer was fine. An out of state title and registration should be no big deal for a large dealer. Makes me sad

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc McCoy View Post
    So I live in western nc and when I decided to buy my 2020 Spyder RTL I found a dealer in TN that I thought had a good reputation. Sale went well, salesman was great. They weren't so happy that I financed with USAA and not them but I have been with USAA for over 30 years. Sale was in the end of Sept. No tag or registration in Oct nor Nov. Letter from USAA asking where title was. Called the dealer and they said NC DMV was 2 months or more behind. Told that the package arrived in early Oct. In Dec second letter from USAA. I called and explained and they said this was a dealer issue and the letters to me were just for my records. Here it is Mid Jan 2021 and i called NC DMV and they have no record of my VIN number and said if they had received a package from the dealer then the dealer would have a tracking number. So tomorrow I am contacting an attorney . One can never judge a dealer by his reputation. All my research said this dealer was fine. An out of state title and registration should be no big deal for a large dealer. Makes me sad
    I bought my F3 in Illinois and I live in Wisconsin. The dealer should have sent a Certificate of Origin(Title) at sale to lending outfit. On the back, they should fill in info of sale date ,mileage, selling dealer. Go back to that dealer with your purchase paper work in hand(cuz they forget) and ask them to contact BRP to reissue a title of origin. Be Nice, but don,t take no for an answer. Another alternative, contact BRP direct and explain your situation. I believe you have to start back at the source to get the ball rolling again......you are probably dealing with the undedicated.
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd contact the dealer before you spend money on a lawyer. Let them know you're going to contact a lawyer unless they provide all necessary paperwork so you can go to the DMV personally with it. If they say they've sent it, tell them to send it again. Give them about a week and let them know if you don't receive it by next Friday, you will contact that lawyer. They really don't want a used bike back. If they don't send you the right paperwork, you could (in theory) return the bike for a full refund.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MONK View Post
    I'd contact the dealer before you spend money on a lawyer. Let them know you're going to contact a lawyer unless they provide all necessary paperwork so you can go to the DMV personally with it. If they say they've sent it, tell them to send it again. Give them about a week and let them know if you don't receive it by next Friday, you will contact that lawyer. They really don't want a used bike back. If they don't send you the right paperwork, you could (in theory) return the bike for a full refund.
    ........Or contact the Att. General for S.C. and register a complaint. .... they should light a fire at that dealer..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ........Or contact the Att. General for S.C. and register a complaint. .... they should light a fire at that dealer..... Mike
    Or even NC.

Spyder Garage

said if they had received a package from the dealer then the dealer would have a tracking number.
    ^^This. If they don't have a tracking number, they are incompetent.

Either they didn't send the package or it is lost.

I would demand a 2nd set of complete paperwork (with a tracking number) be sent immediately.

Take the bike back to them if they continue to be difficult. Lawyer as last resort.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    I bought my F3 in Illinois and I live in Wisconsin. The dealer should have sent a Certificate of Origin(Title) at sale to lending outfit. On the back, they should fill in info of sale date ,mileage, selling dealer. Go back to that dealer with your purchase paper work in hand(cuz they forget) and ask them to contact BRP to reissue a title of origin. Be Nice, but don,t take no for an answer. Another alternative, contact BRP direct and explain your situation. I believe you have to start back at the source to get the ball rolling again......you are probably dealing with the undedicated.
    I went through something similar as well. Live in WI and bought the bike in IL. The trick is getting that certificate of origin to your state's DMV.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow. I should consider myself VERY lucky. Made arrangements with a private party (a member here) to get our bike in early March, then the lock-down hit. Mid-April, all the paperwork had been done, so the bike was paid for. Well, let's just say that our credit union had paid off his credit union. We decided to just go ahead, so we went to Michigan to get it and brought it back to oHIo. Even though all the DMV offices were closed, we found that the title office just down the street from us was open, so we went and had the title transferred. The title office sent everything to the credit union and gave us a memo title. With that memo title, we went next door to the DMV. The inside was closed, but they have a drive-up window. That let us get plates on the bike in the middle of the lock-down.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Sounds like pay back for not financing with them. If it is, then that says something very loud about the integrity of the dealer. I would give them a chance to reply and fix the situation now. It is important for the finance person to get the paperwork right. Something went south there. That would be the place to start if you have not already done so.

Please keep us informed of the outcome.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Well I called NCDMC and they still have no record of my VIN #. I called the dealer and they started the two step. Said they had never heard of a tracking number and had been dealing with NC for years. I told them the rep I talked to said it would take no longer than six weeks. Dealer said that was a lie that they were backed up for at least three months. I told them it had been four months for me. SO at that point I said "you have thirty days to provide me with either a tracking number or a certificate of origin." They said the original was in the package. I said I would take a copy. They said state would not accept a copy. I told them that they had t hirty days or I would be dropping the rig off and they would pay me my deposit and USAA the balance or I would have an attorney go directly to BRP for a new copy of COA and I would register it with the state. I also told them I wanted in writing where the NC tax that I paid went since NC has no record of the sale.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I called NCDMC and they still have no record of my VIN #. I called the dealer and they started the two step. Said they had never heard of a tracking number and had been dealing with NC for years. I told them the rep I talked to said it would take no longer than six weeks. Dealer said that was a lie that they were backed up for at least three months. I told them it had been four months for me. SO at that point I said "you have thirty days to provide me with either a tracking number or a certificate of origin." They said the original was in the package. I said I would take a copy. They said state would not accept a copy. I told them that they had t hirty days or I would be dropping the rig off and they would pay me my deposit and USAA the balance or I would have an attorney go directly to BRP for a new copy of COA and I would register it with the state. I also told them I wanted in writing where the NC tax that I paid went since NC has no record of the sale.
    Perseverance!!!
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue