Spyder Garage

Default First Post - How many miles is TOO many?

Hi everyone.
    Las Vegas Nevada here - my first posting on your forum. Thank you in advance for your patience and help.
    I am a two wheel rider - but had given it up a number of years ago.

Cue my 20 year old daughter wanting her own motorcycle - which I have tried to temper (too many other family members and friends visited in hospitals and memorial services attended).
    But since she is a little bit short 4'11" - it has been a challenge even finding a bike she could reach the ground on and support "IF" I were to give in.

I had mentioned the Can Am option to her previously, so she took to a You Tube viewing sessions, came across some videos and expressed interest.
    Here's the question - I have found an older RS (2009) locally that I believe I could pick up at a reasonable price ($6000) but it has 60,000 miles on it.

And I know that every machine is different (even identical samples of the same engine), but as it pertains to the 990 V Twin in the RS - How many miles is too many?
    When does the price of entry get outweighed by the up coming repairs?
    And are there any other things besides the engine that I should be concerned with on a high mileage example?

I have already made my plans to purchase a newer F3 for myself - but I don't want to dump a huge outlay into her first machine not knowing if she will want to keep riding (conversely - don't want to buy her junk that will need replacement or ongoing repairs immediately either).

Hers will be a 21st birthday present - so I want to do the best for her that I can on my admittedly limited budget.
    Thanks

Spyder Garage

From what I've read here, there's a world of improvements since 09. Reliability, safety, & handling have come a long way.
    If within budget, have your considered a Ryker? Half the cost of the Spyder, up-to-date hardware & a warranty.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with Ray .... a Ryker might be a better option .... as far as 60,000 miles goes, how much service / maintenance has been done ( don't be concerned with not having a " valve check " done, after 100,000 mi. it should be looked at ) ...... $ 6,000 for a 12 year old spyder with that mileage is NOT a bargain. .... check other " for sale " sources you can do better .... jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

When it comes to reliability, for a reasonably well maintained Spyder with the V-twin engine, 60,000 miles is barely run in!

And while the newer Spyders do undoubtedly have a whole ship-load of improvements over the earlier machines, an early Spyder that's lasted this long & is still going strong could be an ideal 'first Spyder' for your daughter - altho a word of warning here.... while the newer 1330 Triple Cylinder engined machines may have stonking torque from idle right up to their (somewhat lower) red lines, the V-twins are a high revving and 'exciting' engine, so much so that it can be very hard to resist exploring their capabilities. In fact, they NEED more than about 3,200 rpm to do much at all, and in the case of the SE's (the pick of the bunch tho, Semi-automatics with flappy thumb/forefinger paddles & a centrifugal clutch) ryding too much at lower revs can destroy the clutch pdq!! So if you want a staid 'learner bike' for your daughter, be warned, on these things the transition from 'learner' to 'speed demon' can happen very quickly, especially when teamed with the revvy, peppy, and exciting to ryde V-Twin motor in a machine that has a heap more confidence enhancing stability than any 2 wheeler!!

That said, you also want to be aware that, as with any 'older' bike, getting some 'not frequently called for' parts &/or accessories may be starting to become a little harder for the GS/RS/RSS/ST's; but I still reckon you could do a whole lot worse than starting your daughter out on a V-Twin Spyder!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I agree with Ray and Mike regarding the age of the RS. Can't speak to the Ryker because it reminds me of that old saying, "Beauty is only skin deep but ugly goes all the way to the bone."
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Not the best of offers bout par with KBB, additionally definitely suggest safety class & test rides. Wouldn’t be a horrible first bike & would have more storage than Ryker.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...s-your-opinion not horrible mileage either If has been service properly, unfortunately the 998 do eat oil & maybe overlooked.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I paid $5700 for my 08 with 13k miles...for 60k miles I would offer $4000-$4500.

1973 Honda CL 350 Scrambler (given to Son)
    2018 Vespa Primavera (Wife’s ride)
    2008 Spyder GS
    2020 Piaggio MP3

Spyder Garage

A barely used 600 Ryker would be the best bang for buck you would think and if it didn't work out should sell easy enough.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Hey VegasDan - what a great dad you are!!! Being just 5'2" myself, I would strongly suggest she take the BRP Rider Education Course. She will not only get her license, but be able to ride every brand new Ryker and Spyder model that is on the market. I was most comfortable on the Ryker in my class, and was too nervous to try any other model. However, I ended up getting my hands on a great used 2015 F3-S with just a few thousand miles - and at an awesome price. I am glad that I did. Not only did the U-Fit system make a world of difference for someone my size, but so did the power steering, suspension, and higher ground clearance. The overall ryde was far more comfortable and enjoyable. The Ryker is an awesome toy - but, it's just that. Riding more than a handful of miles a day - you'll definitely feel beat up.

Spyder Garage

The above posters have the subject well covered. Not much I can add to it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by justsmile0808 View Post
    Hey VegasDan - what a great dad you are!!! Being just 5'2" myself, I would strongly suggest she take the BRP Rider Education Course. She will not only get her license. Not only did the U-Fit system make a world of difference for someone my size, but so did the power steering, suspension, and higher ground clearance. The overall ryde was far more comfortable and enjoyable. The Ryker is an awesome toy - but, it's just that. Riding more than a handful of miles a day - you'll definitely feel beat up.
    Thank you Smile.
    I considered the Ryker; but had the same concerns that the smaller bike would be more challenging/ fatiguing on road trips AND that is major component of my purchase - giving her and I another Dad & Daughter activity to do together before she realizes how lame I actually am.

We are "fortunate" in that Nevada does not require a motorcycle or separate 3 wheel endorsement for Sypder operation - so no classes; unfortunate in that limits the number of opportunities to try out a Spyder or Ryker without purchase.

My other option and after these responses - the one I'm most leaning toward is too use my few thousand dollars toward a down payment for her and finance the rest in her name to both get a newer low mileage F3 and give her a credit building tool (credit union won't care who actually makes the payment).

Hope to see you all on the road soon.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome and good hunting.

Spyder Garage

VegasDan....your last post (#11) sounds like a good plan if it's affordable and you don't mind the payments for what is essentially a toy. Would you think more highly of the 2009 if you were get it for $4K? If its been on the market for some time, you might be able to pull that off. If he's the original owner, it doesn't owe him a thing and he has a lot of wiggle room. Let him know you have that other option that will net your daughter a lot newer model. I push a hard bargain in a scenario like this and I would do the "$4K, take it or I walk" routine. That has gotten me some great buys, even with new cars.
    If you are considering the 2009, ask to see the maintenance records. That can be very telling.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Owner

Welcome to the Spyder WORLD.
    Lots of great tips posted. Seems like a good idea for a 21st birthday gift.

Good Luck on Your Mission. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Contact Joe Meyer at Squared Away. His ad and contact info is on the home page. He's pretty busy getting ready to go on a factory demo tour around the West but he may be able to give you some time and advice. He is in Las Vegas so even if you have to drive across town it would be worth it. He is very knowledgeable about Spyders and a super helpful guy! A personal consultation with him is worth a thousand messages here on the forum!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

There are a number of Spyders out there that didn't get that much use, and aren't all that much more expensive. While the engine may be just fine, there are plenty of other parts that may start needing attention, and it may be due for an expensive maintenance. I would be far more tempted by a new Ryker than a ten year old RS. I think that at the end of a year or two, taking maintenance into account, it will be the less expensive option.

A 2011 or 2012 RT might also be a good option if you can find the right deal -- it will put her in a less aggressive mindset and has more bulk to it. 21 doesn't understand mortality.

While I'm not seeing that much on Craigslist in LA at the moment, normally there is more for sale.

As an aside, Proshop Powersports is likely your best service in the Vegas area.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.