Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RT signature lights as turn signals?

I was wondering if anyone has turned their small signature lights into turn signals? I am planning on doing this on my 2021 S2S RT. I will wrap the lights with amber translucent film and change the wiring. This should solve the hard to see fender turn signals.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Interesting idea. Shouldn't be too difficult to wire.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not saying it can't be done but I'd think you could get more bang for your buck with something aftermarket. I got a set of TricLED fender running lights/turnsignals. They're BRIGHT and others notice them. Maybe the addition of some of those A arm running lights/turnsignals would be easier? While I think turning the Signature lights into turnsignals would be a killer custom touch, I'm not sure I'd want to lose any running lights. Maybe if you added the Auxiliary light to the front? Just some thoughts. If you do this, please take notes/pics and pass them along.

Spyder Garage

I wonder if you can replace the OEM fender bulb with a 2 element bulb so you could keep the signature light and go brighter when signaling?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have not examined the lights in the newer RTs, but is there a possibility that you could install a "switchback" bulb?

I have those in my Suzuki fairing. They shine white until the turn signals are activated, then the white goes off and the yellow flasher comes on. When the flashing is done, the white light comes back on.

Of course, this works best behind a clear or white lens.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I had the switchbacks on my last bike - worked great! That would solve the issue of losing the running light. If the oem socket is 2-wire (likely) the socket needs to be replaced with a 3-wire that's compatible to the SB bulb to activate the turn signal.
    Would need to run a 3rd wire to the fender for the signal. Don't know if the SB will upset the Canbus but probably not an issue.
    I'll be installing Elka front shocks when they arrive today so I'll check out the light.

Spyder Garage

Joel,I installed the vision kit from spyderpops this summer and I have to say, this kit will do what you are looking for in spades! Not done in an hour but plugnplay and makes a huge difference in visibility of your spyder!They don't give it away but cost is not terrible as farkles go and to me is well worth the cost.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I should have stated that I already have the A arm switchback led kit, fender led turn signal kit, and aux front light. I just think using the signature lights as turn signals would be a nice custom touch. They are leds so I have to wrap them in amber translucent vinyl to change the color. I know the fender tip turn signals are hard to see because the white led doesnt turn off. I have a module to remedy that, but not sure if it will fit in the fender. Still waiting for my spyder to arrive any day now.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

I installed the SpyderPops vision kit. It comes with LEDs for the mirrors. Instead of mounting the LEDs to the sides of the mirror, I mounted them to the front to enhance the visibility when viewed head on.
    I also like the added visibility from the side.
    Here's a picture:

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I should have stated that I already have the A arm switchback led kit, fender led turn signal kit, and aux front light. I just think using the signature lights as turn signals would be a nice custom touch. They are leds so I have to wrap them in amber translucent vinyl to change the color. I know the fender tip turn signals are hard to see because the white led doesnt turn off. I have a module to remedy that, but not sure if it will fit in the fender. Still waiting for my spyder to arrive any day now.
    Joel, your previous Spyder, the orange one, is a testament to the skills you have to not only envision one off mods, but you also have the ability to accomplish the mods in a no Primitive Pete methods and techniques way that will make your proposed idea awesome without any doubt.

I agree, based on your description, should be a very effective mod that adds uniqueness and safety.

Regarding installing a “tinting film” so to speak, can I suggest simply replacing the LEDs themselves to the color desired, unless they are something impossible to work with. The tint may work, but so often gives kind of like hot spots of intense light that sometimes give the light an odd appearance.

All the best with it, and I suspect many of your previous mods on the other Spyder will be redone on your new machine as a version 2 mod. Pretty certain you will have the best and trickest late model Spyder very soon. Best mods are often those envisioned and accomplished entirely by yourself.

Spyder Garage

I have never done anything with the lighting, But your idea seems good.
    I am thinking to get LEDs for the mirrors, Also like to install a signature light.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AlanSmith7 View Post
    I have never done anything with the lighting, But your idea seems good.
    I am thinking to get LEDs for the mirrors, Also like to install a signature light.
    FYI-the Signature lightS are different than the Auxiliary light. The Signature lights are the eyebrow lights (2 of them) along the belt line @ the front of the bike. The Auxiliary light is a single light "strip" at the very bottom of the bike (again, in the front). I think of the Signature lights as more cosmetic (although ANY extra lights are good) and the Auxiliary light as a fog light.

Spyder Garage

I added a $12 LED strip in the chin light location to create the 'triangle' DRL light pattern. As bright as the BRP version but a tad cheaper.

Spyder Garage

Default turn signals

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has turned their small signature lights into turn signals? I am planning on doing this on my 2021 S2S RT. I will wrap the lights with amber translucent film and change the wiring. This should solve the hard to see fender turn signals.
    LED Turn Signal Daytime Running Lights for Can-Am Spyder, SAUTVS Front DRL Turn Signal with Yellow Flashing Lights for Can Am Spyder RT 2020-2022 Accessories (2PCS, Replace #219401024) (AMAZON)
    2021 Sea to Sky , cyclops light, front fender light/turn signal, rear run/brake/ turn signal LED strip, BRP floor board light Green

Spyder Garage

I like your idea Joel. Please post up some pictures when you complete yours.

I like the idea of "brighter" for the signal function.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I installed the SpyderPops vision kit. It comes with LEDs for the mirrors. Instead of mounting the LEDs to the sides of the mirror, I mounted them to the front to enhance the visibility when viewed head on.
    I also like the added visibility from the side.
    Here's a picture:

Now that looks awesome.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I put these in, works as Daytime Running Light and turn signals. Got them on amazon:
    LED Turn Signal Daytime Running Lights for Can-Am Spyder, SAUTVS Front DRL Turn Signal with Yellow Flashing Lights for Can Am Spyder RT 2020-2022 Accessories (2PCS, Replace #219401024)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-18-2023 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    Improvise, Adapt, Overcome, Semper Fi
    2020 RT
    Limited heated seats
    removable back rest & rack
    XK Glow light
    Paint with light painted panels
    (Gone but not forgotten ) 2009 RS SE5
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfrog View Post
    LED Turn Signal Daytime Running Lights for Can-Am Spyder, SAUTVS Front DRL Turn Signal with Yellow Flashing Lights for Can Am Spyder RT 2020-2022 Accessories (2PCS, Replace #219401024) (AMAZON)
    Quote Originally Posted by GS1 View Post
    I put these in, works as Daytime Running Light and turn signals. Got them on amazon:
    LED Turn Signal Daytime Running Lights for Can-Am Spyder, SAUTVS Front DRL Turn Signal with Yellow Flashing Lights for Can Am Spyder RT 2020-2022 Accessories (2PCS, Replace #219401024)
    Here is a direct link to what these guys are talking about https://www.amazon.com/SAUTVS-Flashi...09ZYBH1WF?th=1 They look pretty good but man that is one hell of an install process. There is an install video on Amazon. Be aware that if you have the Slingmods A-arm led kit, these plug into the same socket so there will be splicing involved.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Here is a direct link to what these guys are talking about https://www.amazon.com/SAUTVS-Flashi...09ZYBH1WF?th=1 They look pretty good but man that is one hell of an install process. There is an install video on Amazon. Be aware that if you have the Slingmods A-arm led kit, these plug into the same socket so there will be splicing involved.
    I am in the middle of installing the ShowChrome Fender Lights an thought that these DRL/Turn Signals looked sharp and that I should buy and install those instead of the mirror mounted turn signals. However, after looking on Amazon.ca and the installation video, I'll save myself the $255 CAD cost and avoid lots of work by just installing the mirror mounted Turn Signals which I already have. Just waiting for some connectors to arrive so I can make my plug & play harness and finish the installation.

Those DRL/Turn Signals combo do look really cool though.
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GFrog View Post
    I am in the middle of installing the ShowChrome Fender Lights an thought that these DRL/Turn Signals looked sharp and that I should buy and install those instead of the mirror mounted turn signals. However, after looking on Amazon.ca and the installation video, I'll save myself the $255 CAD cost and avoid lots of work by just installing the mirror mounted Turn Signals which I already have. Just waiting for some connectors to arrive so I can make my plug & play harness and finish the installation.

Those DRL/Turn Signals combo do look really cool though.
    I watched that video also, so I'll leave mine as is. Besides I have some on the A frame arm.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue